Suggestions for Multi-purpose Hunting Flashlight

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
I've used CPF as a reference for quite some time now, and have finally decided it was time to join in an effort to personalize my research. I have many different flashlights that serve many purposes, but none of them really qualify as my "go-to" light for hunting, which may also end up being the go-to light in my truck, as well.

I've filled out your questionnaire and welcome everyone's feedback. Thanks in advance!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget:
I'm flexible provided the flashlight meets my needs

3) Format:
I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
I don't care - I can throw it in my backpack or attach a holster to its belt.

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED, unless there are other qualified recommendations.

6) Manufacturer:
Ready to go out of the box or "custom" - I'm open.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
No preference

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
At least three brightness levels adjustable from very low (<10) to very high (>800)

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
I believe that a long-throw light with the ability to add a diffuser will work best.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
Location is not as important as functionality - the flashlight should be easily operated with one hand in the dark. I am comfortable with a tactical/tail cap actuator, as well as one on the forward end of the body.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want multiple light levels. SOS would be a nice to have. This will not be used as a duty light, so strobe is not important.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Whatever will provide me with extremely high durability and protection against the elements - lots of snow where I live/hunt.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
None that I can think of.

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, JH!

I'm at the Connecticut SWAT Challenge this week with 150+ vendors - some will surely have some lights to check out. What else should I be looking for gang?

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
How much weight are you willing to carry? Your desire for 800+ lumens along with the ability to go to less than 10 lumens really limits your choices.

Neither of my hunting lights meets all your criteria, but I carry a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L and a Surefire E2D LED in my hunting bag.

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
Great question, Moonshine... I'd be happy if it weighed in less than my SL-20X (1.8lbs).

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK40 w/o batteries 300g less, it uses 8AA
At emergency, it can accepts 4AA too.
It uses batteries carrier, you might want to get some spares(<= I dont really light battery carrier as i will be :poof:ed if i lost it,also, it takes longer time to replace the battery)
It have both pros and cons.

Always bring at least TWO lights, 1 big and 1 small

arking2012

Newly Enlightened
How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

I use battery junction for all my lights. They have been great I can't say a bad word about them. Use CPF2011 for 5% discount off your order.

I just ordered three of the TerraLUX LightStar220 LED Flashlights ($19.99) from them this morning for my vehicles.

Flashlight-specific format/size:

I don't care- I can throw it in my backpack or attach a holster to its belt.

Olight M3x is a great light that is not too heavy and can be mounted on a rifle and has an awesome throw to 350-400 yards.

If money is not an option and you don't want to mount the light to a weapon get the OlightSR90 Intimidator. I have this light and all I can say is you have to see it to believe it. It's a pricey item ($449.95) but a truly amazing light. Olight says it will throw out to 1000 meters but I don't have that far to test the light. I only have 600 yards and it's no problem. The light is huge and heavy so you would need to use the strap that comes with the light if you are going to use it for a long time.

What batterytype do you want to use?

Nopreference

M3X uses 3or 4 CR123A batteries or rechargeable

Olight SR90 Intimidator has built in rechargeable pack

How muchgenuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have toomuch light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

At leastthree brightness levels adjustable from very low (<10) to very high(>800)

M3X has High(700 lumens) low (60 Lumens) and strobe. I can read a map with the light on low.

Olight SR90 Intimidator You don't buy this light to read you buy it to make it day time again :rock:

Throw vs.Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select allthat apply.

I believe that a long-throw light with the ability to add a diffuser will work best.

You can add a diffuser to the M3X

Runtime: Notover-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured fromfirst activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

90-120minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

My M3X gets around an hour and ten minutes on 4 cr123 batteries

I don't know how long my SR90 will run because I haven't had it long enough to drain the battery.

Durability/Usage:Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical(Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

I have the M3X on my Ar-15 and have shot around 600 rounds through the gun with the light on and have not had one problem with the light or the many Titanium Innovations CR123A batteries.

Hope this helps you out and good luck in your search. Let us know which light you decide on and your opinion of the light.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
SR-90 should be out of the list, its....extremely heavy. Enormus 1.5kg light
Olight m3x can be comparable to tk40
But twisting the head to change mode might be inconvinient and you might even drop your head :p
It does depends on personal preference, i prefer press-to-switch
Its a decent thrower, couldnt agree more
Its smaller too, easy to carry

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where and when do you hunt ? Wide open or thickly wooded ? Are you using the light to spot game, or to track wounded game ? I hunt thickly wooded areas and have found 6" 300 lumen lights with a diffuser cap work well. Sometimes I use the red diffuser cap going to and from my stand. Olight m20. I have found the larger 2 battery 800 lumen lights are long and need to be belt carried. Then they are in the way going through brush. The Fenix TK 35 is a good pocket size 800 lumen light, but no diffuser caps fit well. The bezel is tapered.

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the Fenix TK-35 today. It seems to meet almost all of my wants - four settings adjustable from 12 - 800 lumens; push button on/off and separate push button to select mode, both located on the tail cap; one handed operation with no need to reposition grip to operate it. However, it is a bit clunky in the hand and the tapered head does not allow for a diffuser (mentioned elsewhere here).

The person who helped me also recommended I look at the TK-41, but he did not have one there for me to check out. 8-AA batteries scares me, though. Anyone have any experience with the TK-41? Thoughts, comments, etc.???

I think I have to agree that the SR-90 is overkill for this set of criteria. The M3X interface cannot be used one-handed, so I'll have to pass on that one, too. Press to switch would by my preference.

Lou - I hunt in many different places. Some in the woods (I don't think they qualify as 'thick' though), some on the edges of corn/bean fields, and some in the open plains (different states). I will use the light to get to/from stands, follow blood trails, and to spot game/varmints (where it is legal to do so, of course).

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
It is hard to beat a combonation of headlamp and handheld flashlight for hunting. I always have a headlamp (now a zebralight H51F) for use in a climbing stand. and getting in and out of the woods. And something with some throw (Quark 2AA turbo). I have replaced lights since last season and these are the newest upgrades. I would watch out for trying to carry to large a light. I can remember toting a 2d mag in my pack years ago and would never go back to that kind of weight. Both my lights fit into a small camera case in my pack along with a couple of spare lithium's and still weigh less than a TK35, or TK41. I would be concerned using a 800lm light and having a firearm, my state law states you may not be in the field with a "spotlight" and a firearm at the same time. Both the TK's would be illeagel here.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is hard to beat a combonation of headlamp and handheld flashlight for hunting. I always have a headlamp (now a zebralight H51F) for use in a climbing stand. and getting in and out of the woods. And something with some throw (Quark 2AA turbo). I have replaced lights since last season and these are the newest upgrades. I would watch out for trying to carry to large a light. I can remember toting a 2d mag in my pack years ago and would never go back to that kind of weight. Both my lights fit into a small camera case in my pack along with a couple of spare lithium's and still weigh less than a TK35, or TK41. I would be concerned using a 800lm light and having a firearm, my state law states you may not be in the field with a "spotlight" and a firearm at the same time. Both the TK's would be illeagel here.
I assume the OP knows about the law otherwise he/she wont be asking for a 800lm light
Or he/she wouldnt attaches it to his/her guns, might be useful when doing a mountain-trekking
Off topic: Response to your law, due to a tactical advantage of the shooter? Blinding and firing at the same time?

CarbonCop

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the radio silence, folks. Travel the past couple of days prevented me from checking in.

JH - I want the diffuser for the bright modes to improve the spread of the beam in some situations - basically looking to maximize its versatility.

whiteoakjoe - Not illegal to carry this bright of a light (and I'm bow hunting), so I'm safe there.

I ended up getting a great deal on a TK-35 while at the competition this week. Size is reasonable, output is impressive, and I'm pretty excited to give it a try. I'll be headed out later tonight to check some of the fields in the area (again, not illegal here), but think I'll be happy with the purchase. Thanks again for the great input everyone!

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Cool, I just can see that some may get themselvs in trouble with these new high powered LED lights. If they dont check their local game laws.