What light to buy as groomsmen gifts for two non Flashaholics?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I'm going to pick up a light for each of my two groomsmen as a gift when I get married this September. I was just looking for a few recommendations for which one to go to. I'd like to spend about 50 bucks all in if possible.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Thoughtful and a great gift! Since they are both non-flasho's I believe AA (or AAA) is the best way to go. I also think 2 batteries for longer runtime and higher max lumens is smart as well. Jetbeam BA20 & Klarus P2A come to mind. You could opt for the Fenix LD20, but it's ~$10 over your budget. Both the Jetbeam and the Klarus I mention are simple 2 stage 2 AA lights high and low and both well made and very bright. Good luck and pre-congrats on your marraige it is a beautiful thing!

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
I would go for the 4sevens Preon. They have enough power for any non-flashoholic and they use standard AAA-Batteries. But most of all, they are elegant and goodlooking, even for non-flashoholics. The "tactical-look" is not for everyone, I think most "normal" people prefer a minimalistic, sleek design without strike bezels, GITD tailcaps or knurling. The Preons just look like a nice present, in my eyes.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are suggesting lights that will put him well over his budget; he said "about 50 bucks in all", which I take to mean he wants to be able to purchase two lights for that $50. Thus my recommendation of the Yezl.

egrep

Enlightened
Consider the Skillhunt Ramble-i (Iota) ?

I just bought one of each color for $20 each.

LED: Cree XP-E R2 Cool White (Neutral/Warm white have to preorder)
Max output: 70lm
Battery: Uses 1* AAA 1.5V Alkaline or NiMH Rechargeable 1.2V battery
Dimension:15.5(D)*75(L) mm / 0.61(D)*2.96(L) in
Weight:22.5 g(excluding battery) / 0.79 oz (excluding battery)
Color: Black/Blue/Orange/Violet
Brightness level & Runtime:
High/Low/Beacon: 70lm/50min,7lm/7h,Beacon/100min
Accessories: One clip,one keychain,one operator's manual,two o-rings
Operation:
1. Battery installation: Twist the head to loosen and remove the head, then insert the battery with the negative end toward the tail.
2. Twist switch: Twist the flashlight head to turning on, and twist the head for further functions.
3. Mode sequence: High – Low - Beacon

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x Fenix E05. If they are non flashalcoholic, potentially you will get them a light and they will put it in a drawer never to be seen again (or forget where they put the light). The E05 runs on a standard cell, is a simple non complicated 1 mode light, great general usage output and floody beam, and you can make sure they put it on their keys. The E05 has been around and is highly regarded on CPF and comes from quality manufacturer. I carry one on my keys. Get some Energizer Lithiums to put in their lights with the left over cash.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, EO5 with a lithium cell installed. I gave one to a friend for his birthday and he's bown away by it so much he asked me to get him another one. He's seen most of my 'good' lights and even though he knows there's brighter lights out there, he knows that the EO5 will do 95% of what he needs a light for.

kt1

Newly Enlightened
2x Fenix E05. If they are non flashalcoholic, potentially you will get them a light and they will put it in a drawer never to be seen again (or forget where they put the light). The E05 runs on a standard cell, is a simple non complicated 1 mode light, great general usage output and floody beam, and you can make sure they put it on their keys. The E05 has been around and is highly regarded on CPF and comes from quality manufacturer. I carry one on my keys. Get some Energizer Lithiums to put in their lights with the left over cash.

That's exactly the combination I'm planning to give to my dad. I gave him an 18650 light years ago and it took him 2 years to empty the first charge. He didn't remember the battery being rechargeable anymore and asked me "what kind of batteries I should by for this?" :grin2: Alkalines are not so good because they leak and rechargeables are not needed by everyone.

It would be helpful if OP would describe where the groomsmen live (in the woods or town) and what their hobbies are (hunting or knitting) to define how much use they probably have for a flashlight.