What's better than the 4 Sevens Quark Mini 123

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Does anything beat it as far as size, light output, ease of use, fit and finish.
Only single 123 cell lights please.
Thanks all,
Lenny

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I love my mini123 but wish It were neutral XML. I have the older xpg version. I use it with rcr123 for blast mode but mostly on low.

I'd love a Lummi 123 neutral or something similar tho.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What's better than...

ITP A1 EOS (SS) is close? I don't own a Mini 123 so I can't compare.

Sarlix

Enlightened

Yeah I was wondering the same thing.

Yeah me three.

I've never used a Quark mini but my Fenix P1Dce sure packed a punch. Sadly I don't have it anymore so am looking for a replacement. Quark Mini seems like the best competitor so far.

delanovanwyk

Newly Enlightened

Hi mate, I would say that the Lumapower IncenDio V3U Limited Edition (XM-L T6) 200 (1xCR123) / 550 Lumens (1xR123/16340) is not a bad light at all, it's crazy bright!

There is an optional GT kit that converts it to a 18650 light and a better head for throw, here is a link to it http://www.illuminationgear.com/241082.html

Sarlix

Enlightened

The MiniX would be the logical step up. And I still have my Fenix P1Ds, classic stuff.

I thought so too, but for me severe lack in throw puts me off. From what I gather even on RCR the MiniX would still throw less than an R5/S2.

Of course there is the Fenix PD10, not sure how that compares? From what I've seen it's not that much better than the old P1Dce :shrug:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the price? Probably not. You don't specify a price range though, so technically something like the SF T1A Titan qualifies. ;)

My Mini123 is sitting in a drawer after seeing moderate use. The sloppy threads were just too much - even plumber's tape wouldn't stop it from turning on in my pocket accidentally. My MiniAA has none of those issues however.

Sarlix

Enlightened

Small lights aren't for throw, but the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-0 would probably be close to what you're looking for.

Yeah I saw the RRT-0 when it first came out. Nice light but a bit big for me. Personally I'm just looking for something to replace my P1D, and from what I've read the Mini does out perform it and is smaller to boot.

However I think the OP maybe on a different quest to me...

My Mini123 is sitting in a drawer after seeing moderate use. The sloppy threads were just too much - even plumber's tape wouldn't stop it from turning on in my pocket accidentally. My MiniAA has none of those issues however.

Maybe you just got a duff one? What version is it btw, R5?

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read a few owner reports of loose threads with the Quark Mini 123 and bought a Fenix E15 instead. The E15 starts at 75 lumens output which works better for me than starting a low level.

So far, I've been pleased with the E15 and have been using it daily.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Ummm, yeah. Nothing I've seen so far. I would kill anyone who tried to steal my Mini 123.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried the Jetbeam BC10 XP-G R5?
It is related to the slightly bigger more expensive RRT-0 XP-G R5.

Selfbuilt has quantitatively tested the BC10 R5 and some competitors; the results are in the tables below.

In the first table using CR123 primary disposable battery at 3.0 volts, notice how the BC10 R5 has 260 lumens total output and the hotspot is 2750 lux @ 1 meter, such that it throw a whopping 105 meters till the brightness falls to 0.25 lux ANSI standards.
Notice how the Thrunite Neutron 1C XM-L has 310 lumens total output, has a hotspot only 1875 lux @ 1 meter, and throws only 87 meters till the brightness falls to 0.25 lux.
The 4Sevens Mini 123 R5 has only 160 total lumens by his measurements, and throw only 82 meters.

In the 2nd table using 16340 rechargeables @ 3.7 volts:
1) the BC10 R5 throws 167 meters!
2) The Thrunite Neutron 1C XM-L throws only 111 meters.
3) The 4Sevens Mini 123 R5 throws only 101 meters.

Theoretically, a Quark MiniX 123 with an XM-L emitter will have a greater total volume of light than the R5 version in the size of the hotspot and the brightness of the spill, but the XM-L version will have a less intense hotspot than the R5 version, resulting in even less throw than the R5 version...

CR-FL1-Summary1-1.gif

CR-FL1-Summary2-1.gif

Last edited:

saypat

Enlightened

sloppy threads? That surprises me! I thought 4Sevens was a quality product / 10 year warranty. Wouldn't they replace it?

robostudent5000

Enlightened

how about the Olight i1? it's basically a MiniX but has the advantages of being less expensive and having a clip.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 4 Sevens Quark Mini 123.
Does anything beat it as far as size, light output, ease of use, fit and finish.
Only single 123 cell lights please.
Thanks all,
Lenny

I'm curious about this one too. Doesn't look like much in a pure head twist beats the minis in those respects, on paper, especially for the price. Apparently not everyone gets one with a wobbly head & jumpy modes after their threads have wallowed out. The whine doesn't seem to be a problem with most buyers here either, although I have noticed that 4.7's have said themselves that they will not swap one out for that particular complaint, because you can expect as much with your replacement. If like lenny I was looking at the cr123a minis instead of the AA, I'd definitely have to think about giving the mini X a chance! Though if in cr123a (& assuming budget didn't allow for a T1A as calipsoii mentioned), I also might look into sacrificing a few lumens, dollars, & strobe modes for the slightly longer & thinner Fenix instead:

2884j8j.jpg

So many good choices it's a tough call!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow that jetbeam has some nice #s

might have to check one out at some point...especially if they make a neutral..

Lighteous

Enlightened
The ZebraLight SC31 is very compact and bright but also has a very low. If you like the ZL UI, the SC31 is worth a look.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 lumamax:
-Simple UI
-Accepts RCRs
-Better throw(Thanks TIR)
-Heat sinking, small lights with 180lm get hot fast

To be fair i will list the cons too
-Low output
-Not waterproof
-Price
-Length
-Lowest mode runtime

Last edited:

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Given the size, I think the ITP A3 EOS and the Fenix E05 are probably the brightest I've seen.

I had the same issue with my mini, the skipping modes was just way too annoying, these days I carry a quark tactical, and I was carrying an ITP A3 EOS as a backup, but have since switched to the fenix because I like the beam better, and it can tailstand.

The T1A unfortunately doesn't really compete with the mini in terms of weight, or max output, or throw. When you factor in the price difference, it's a tough sell. But it is a really wonderful light.

-Freq