Malkoff        
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: Changing LED Tint With Filters

Default Re: Changing LED Tint With Filters

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Cool stuff! I have a 20x24 sheet of 1/8 minus green which is pretty amazing. I would get one of these cutters to make things easier but there's just no solid way to attach them. Glue and tape isn't for me.
    What have You tried, and which light did You try it with?
    Most us only have access to tiny swatch books and envy You having a big sheet

I don't recall ever using glue on any of my lights, and I agree that might affect a lens coating. I have always had a difficult time cutting the film in an even circle however. My instrument of destruction has always been cable shears with their micro serrated edges. I've applied them static bound, held in by bezel rings, and squeegeed in place using a drop of soapy water.

On lights with a removable bezel/lens, I just put it underneath. It was nice and protected with no chance to fall off. Unfortunately I don't have so many lights like that anymore. The lights I do are already a good enough tint.

I also tried the double sided scotch tape, but that got messy after the light heated up to a certain point. Also a decent loss of light after that not-so-transparent tape was added. It was too weak anyway, getting messed up after putting into a pocket or bag.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    On lights with a removable bezel/lens, I just put it underneath. It was nice and protected with no chance to fall off. Unfortunately I don't have so many lights like that anymore. The lights I do are already a good enough tint.

I also tried the double sided scotch tape, but that got messy after the light heated up to a certain point. Also a decent loss of light after that not-so-transparent tape was added. It was too weak anyway, getting messed up after putting into a pocket or bag.
    The tape was not a good idea. You most likely may not be able to remove the adhesive from the lens without damaging exterior lens surface coatings .
    Were yours falling off? Or were You just wanting it never to?
    The best way without damaging the lens is sqeegying the filter in place. The filters I've used would ding, rip, scratch, but not fall off.
    It would need to be removed once properly affixed.
    There may be a reason yours were falling off, if they were. Does the filter You have have a label on it's package?

When you say label on the package, are you looking for the brand/type? It's this one here: https://www.amazon.com/Rosco-Roscolu.../dp/B00BX5Q7PI
    GOOD TINT!

Gee, both of those cutters look great, but I don't have enough lights to justify either. I get maybe one or two new lights a year and I don't mind spending a few minutes to cut out a filter, but still, those look like they'd both do a good job. Thanks for the suggestions and links.

Mark......we all have different priorities, and I was so happy to hear that your last couple of Zebralights both had good tints. Mine ALWAYS have a bit of green, but at least I know I can easily fix them with a filter.

Mark, it always depends on the light. On those I can trap the filter under the bezel or lens, I do, and then I don't have to be as precise about the edges.

If I have to do it from the outside, and there is a straight wall inside the bezel, not flaired out, I will just wedge them in there. I do this the most, and it has never failed. It requires careful slow trimming to get it just slightly larger than the opening. A tad too big and it buckles up, a tad too small and it won't wedge in. I find it very helpful to cut a paper one first to get close, and use it as a template to get the filter real close before final trimming.

Finally, for tapered bezels, and if I did the above and over-shot, the squeegying method Got Lumens mentioned works well. I used a drop of glass cleaner, but the soapy water sounds like it would work too. Never lost one of these either.

My worst case was on lights that have no bezel depth at all, like optics. I have resorted to double stick tape for those. But not across the lens, just four teeny, tiny bits, about the size of a grain of rice, on the four edges of the lens. Not so slick, but does not show up in the beam at all, and of the two I've had to do that way, I have not lost the filter yet.

I didn't pay that much attention to this thread when it first started, but now that I am more concerned about beam tint, I wanted to start getting interested in experimenting with gel filters. Many thanks to Derek Dean for originally starting this thread back in 2011. I have any of a number of cool-tinted led lights that I would like to work on changing. I created a Word document and copied-and-pasted what I thought some of the most pertinent posts for me were, so I don't have to read all 12 pages to review some of the material. I just got two Malkoff MDX-22.3 bezels, and I am going to put my cool-tint Malkoff M60 MC-E in one of them. If anyone is thinking of getting Lee gel filter swatch books, you can get a maximum of two of the "Numeric Swatch books" at $2 each, and one of the "Designer Edition" swatch books for just $0.01, if you use the discount code "SWATCH". The shipping is going to bring the total up to about $11. I think it's worth it. The "Designer Edition" appears to have the same number of swatches as the "Numeric Edition" version, but they don't have them in the sequentially-numbered order. You can order them from the following page:

https://shop.leefiltersusa.com/Swatc...?categoryId=-1

They don't have their limited-palette Zircon (high temperature) gel filter swatch book listed on their website, but I e-mailed them, and they sent me one for free. This Zircon swatch book has (so far) five "Minus Green" filters, six "Warm Amber" filters, and three "Diffusion filters"

All of these swatchbooks are big enough for a Surefire C/P/G/G2Z series, or an e-series. One reason for getting more than one swatch book (in addition to their cheap cost) is so you can use one of them for cutting out your own round filters, but keeping a book or two intact. Once I figure out a color I like for my Malkoff M*g with a 3-6 D-cell drop-in, I will need to order one of the 12"x12" gel filter sheets. There are 400 different tints in the "Designer' Edition" and "Numeric Edition" swatchbooks, so its going to take me a while to work my way through these.

Would it be possible to move this thread to the General Flashlight Discussion where more people could see it?
    Last edited by novice; 03-17-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    ...Once I figure out a color I like for my Malkoff M*g with a 3-6 D-cell drop-in, I will need to order one of the 12"x12" gel filter sheets...
    Where do you find the 12"x12" sheets?

eraursis1984,
    I have not done a lot of web searching, but here is a 12-pack of the Lee Zircon filters:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ting_pack.html

I don't think I want to spend the money for an entire 12-pack, but I will keep searching for individual sheets.

In the meantime, here is a source of Rosco swatch books:

https://www.adorama.com/rosb.html

... and they have 20"x24" individual sheets for about $6.50 each, provided you can find the tint you want in their swatch book:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

I hope that I can find individual Lee Zircon gel filter sheets for sale somewhere because they are more temperature-resistant, but I may be over-thinking the temperature angle.

Default Re: I'm an LED tint snob!

photobucket doesn't show up anymore. Any newer photos available?
    Last edited by lumen aeternum; 06-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lumen aeternum View Post
    photobucket doesn't show up anymore. Any newer photos available?
    I am reposting my replies below.
    The photos from Photobucket do show up in Chrome with the Photobucket patch installed.
    The new Dropbox pics do not show up in all browsers, MobileWeb, or TapaTalk.
    If so, You need to click on the placeholder and the pic will open in a new browser window/tab.
    Hope this helps
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Here are two recent wall shots. I will try to get some outdoor shots soon.
    First a Freehand shot with the Preon0's distance to wall ~6":

. . . Click to Enlarge

Second a controlled shot with the Preon0's distance to wall 10":

. . . Click to Enlarge

GL

Hi,
    Using the Lee Filter Swatch book I took a few photos using 4 Sevens Preon2 CW R5 hosts.
    Filters used are Primary Red #106, Just Blue #079, & Primary Green #139.
    Clickable thumbnails.
    Enjoy
    GL

Derek Dean,
    Here's a first for the thread. A Lee filter that increased the lux power of the light on low level . Calculated 1M Lux without 0.1175. Calculated 1M lux with 0.475 lux.
    #271 Mirror Silver
    GL

. . . Click to Enlarge

Derek,
    Thanks for sharing Swatch Book!
    The New Swatch Book, Designer Edition, does not have page numbers.
    Does anyone know of a different edition currently for sale that has page numbers?

The Swatch Book Designer Edition is arranged Per wavelength. Starting in the Ultra-Violets and progressing to the Infra-Reds, The diffusing films/fabrics, and then the Diffusion Foils and Reflective Films/Foils.

I will play around with it some and report back my results.

I guess for those that have a newer swatch book without page numbering, mention the approximate Wavelength section the filter is from.
    Example: #100 Spring Yellow ~600nm or #332 Special Rose Pink ~700nm. This way those with and those without page numbers can find a particular filter much easier and faster.
    GL
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 06-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    ....They don't have their limited-palette Zircon (high temperature) gel filter swatch book listed on their website, but I e-mailed them, and they sent me one for free. This Zircon swatch book has (so far) five "Minus Green" filters, six "Warm Amber" filters, and three "Diffusion filters"...
    Apparently the Zircon swatch book is no longer available. There are various Zircon sampler "packs" of 12" x 12"sheets here:
    http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/packs.html

Zircon detailed info here: http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/zircon.html
    Last edited by SubLGT; 10-31-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112