LED Lantern

pdice

Newly Enlightened
With Hurricane Irene headed for NC, I thought it might be wise to pickup an LED lantern for the family. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking this D-Cell coleman might be a good choice. However, I feel with the wealth of smaller company LED lights available, there had to be a better choice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TS71NG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

netprince

Enlightened
Many people (including myself) like the rayovac sportsman extreme lantern, runs on 3D cells. I have a few now, for me the best place to get them was $24 at a local Lowes.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would avoid LED lanterns with multiple dimmer LEDs and get one with high power LEDs instead (usually 1-4). As for the smaller AA based lanterns they either don't have the runtime or output of the larger D cell based lanterns but can more easily use LSD nimh for savings in the long run. Typicall AA based LED lanterns put out about 40-80 lumens while the D cell ones run from 100-300 lumens.
Basically speaking you need to consider which is more suitable but some folks get both types.

fishx65

Enlightened
I'm in a Michigan power outage right now burning 3 River Rock AA Cree lanterns and using the mobile hotspot with my Palm cellphone. I could probably have light for months with my huge stash of AA rechargeables and alks. AA lanterns are fantastic emergency lights cuz you probably have AA's all over the house in various devices. I can also keep my cellphone charged with one of my Duracell AA chargers through the USB port. Now if I could just figure out how to power the airconditioner with AA's!!!!