Anybody notice the east coast quake?

WDR65

Enlightened
I just sat down at my desk just before 2 o clock and felt my chair start wobbling. Thought it was me, as I've never felt one before. I know its a small one and as far south as I am it wasn't much but it was an interesting feeling nontheless.

First an earthquake and then hurricane Irene. Its shaping up to be an interesting week on the east coast.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The DC radio program I listen to got shook and is currently broadcasting on generator power. The White House and Pentagon have been evacuated..

Siliconti

Newly Enlightened
I felt it and I'm about 10 miles north of Boston. It was mild, nothing fell off shelves or anything. A first for me - that was weird for sure.

WDR65

Enlightened
Just spoke to my parents and they felt their house move. They are just a few miles up the road from me. Also texting with a friend in Philly who said something about a building collapsing, don't know if that's true or not yet.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i felt it in my building on 11th floor downtown manhatten, 2 shocks about 1 sec long few seconds apart, very small shocks, at first a tought it had something to do with construction downstairs

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. My whole house was shimmying. Though, most of my damage was centered around freaked out cats and a couple flashlights that fell off my desk. :eek:

-DF

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The USGS reports that this is the largest quake in Virginia (where it was centered) since 1897. JFK, Washington, Newark airports are closed. Downtown Boston streets are flooded with people who have left their buildings:

bkquake.jpg

Scubie67

Enlightened
Yeah I didn't feel anything,not that I would notice anyhow due to East Coast never having had one in my lifetime

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The DC National Cathedral is reporting that its main spire has lost three pinnacles. Bystanders in Union Station report pieces of the ceiling coming down. Lake Anna nuclear reactor reports no damage, but did automatically shut down and is currently running on generators.

natcatcollapse.jpg

Last edited:

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Central N.C. bout 30 mins E. of Raleigh and did not feel anything so not sure it was down this far or if it was simply because I was passenger in a vehicle where the driver tends to be erratic anyway so might not have notice. Prepping for that storm.

Pisses me off because once I moved here, having lived in Florida and the mid-continent tornado ally [Kansa, Arkansas and N. Txas]] I've been telling the wife we need to have a plan in place for 'canes and it was all covered 'except' and now 'exceot' is too late in the game. >:-/

oldsarge

Newly Enlightened
Felt it here in Nassau County NY. Everybody on the block came out to the street to check it out.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Lake Anna nuclear facility is supposed to run on offsite power in the event of a shutdown, but that system has failed, which is why it is running on generators.

The Cleveland Indians vs Mariners game was interrupted by the stadium jostling; reporters in the press box report feeling it sway.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I was in bed and felt the bed shake. At first, I thought maybe one of the cats was stuck underneath, trying to get out. It lasted a few seconds. No damage to the house as far as I can tell.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I was on the road when it happened, so I didn't notice. My wife was in a meeting and did feel it.

Geoff

BCGarrick

Newly Enlightened
A friend in NC said the pictures in her office fell off the walls as well as the clock...here in SC I felt nothing...

Sent from my iPad

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The USGS reports that this is the largest quake in Virginia (where it was centered) since 1897. JFK, Washington, Newark airports are closed. Downtown Boston streets are flooded with people who have left their buildings:

bkquake.jpg

Oh gosh, Boston. I've got to wonder if the quake has loosened up any more ceiling panels in the 'big dig' tunnel. :eek: