Nitecore EX 11.2 vs. HDS RA Rotary vs. Mac's Customs? Pros and Cons?

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I'm looking to get a new light, my Surefire E2D LED Defender just went on craigslist (I may list it in the forums later but I'm not sure) and I've got a bit of cash right now. Im looking at 3 lights, the Nitecore EX 11.2, the HDS Rotary, and a Tri-EDC from Mac's customs. The Nitecore and Rotary I want the most because of the infinitely variable brightness levels, and the Tri-EDC would be my first custom light.
Ok, I want the Nitecore most right now because it's the cheapest of the bunch, I don't have a job so cheap is good. That being said, is it too cheap? I've heard bad things, and I don't want to be without a light for too long (I could keep the E2D if I got the Nitecore).
Next, HDS Rotary; This is my second choice right now because while it is expensive HDS has it's reputation for a reason. Infinite brightness levels are a good thing for me, I like that.
Now the Tri-EDC, this is the limit for my spending right now and I'm not completely sure I could even swing it, I emailed Mac about pricing because I was unsure if he sold the lights with coating (Cerakote?) and if I could get a low low level.
Ok, that's my options, what do you guys think? Anything I'm missing? Any options I missed?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a sunwayman v10r? I have one (Ti version) and the interface is pretty nice. Rotary ring is nice and stiff so that it won't change on you in an overhead grip. I would chose that over the ex11.2 just because of the issues recent nitecores have been experiencing. I don't have a mac tri-edc but I do have his sst50 edc and I really would say it's the best edc out there. It's not overly complicated, very comfortable in the hand and pocket, looks awesome, and has decent runtime (given you don't use it on high a lot). And although he no longer makes the sst50 edc, he now makes the xm-l edc, which i would say is overall better than the sst50 edc and is cheaper than the hds rotary if you get the aluminum version.

BMart

Newly Enlightened
Good choice. I heard there have been some drain issues with the 11.2. The SWM v10r is on my list as well. The Jetbeam RRT0 is a comparable light as well, but doesn't have infinitely variable output.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac's Customs! I love his work and I know they are not the cheapest lights out there, but damn he makes some fine gear. Of the four Nitecores I've owned three have had issues, one terminal. I'll never buy another Nitecore.

Just recieved a ZL SC51 yesterday and I must say it's the best EDC light I've put my hands on so far. I love the location of the switch and it just feels so nice in your hand. The UI is a little different from what I'm used to but once you get the grasp of it you really appreciate the thought that went into it.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Mac's Customs! I love his work and I know they are not the cheapest lights out there, but damn he makes some fine gear. Of the four Nitecores I've owned three have had issues, one terminal. I'll never buy another Nitecore.

Yup, that ends it for the Nitecore for sure, trust me, if I could afford it the Tri-EDC would be my #1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 choices (Copper, Brass, Titanium, Purple, Black, Venom Green, and Safety Orange) but I don't have a steady income so anything over $100 is hard to come by right now. That being said, Convince me to buy the Titanium Sunwayman? I'm not a mirror polish fan, the only titanium I like is the matte gray colored Ti, (unfinished?) like how most custom knife handles or frames are.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice. I heard there have been some drain issues with the 11.2. The SWM v10r is on my list as well. The Jetbeam RRT0 is a comparable light as well, but doesn't have infinitely variable output.

Umm, yes it does. Both the R5 and S2 versions do. From the description page for the RRT-0:

"The popular RRT-0 has been updated to be an even more versatile flashlight, with a rotary ring that allows for infinite brightness ramping, from 0.003 lumens all the way up to 260 lumens with lithium batteries."

As for the EX11.2, I would not recommend it. I returned 3 of them. Each one quit working and the battery super heated with no light coming out of the LED.

I do carry my HDS Rotary with me daily, and yes it is a really great light. I can't speak for the V10R, but I would highly recommend the HDS Rotary. You know you have a real light in your hand.

HDS Rotary
HDSRotary640.jpg

Not the Rotary, but gives you a size idea. My HDS T200 Clicky
HDST200a.jpg

Last edited:

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so if I were to buy the Titanium model where would you say is best? I found 2 sites that sell it for ~$130 but I've never heard of either of them. Focalprice and shopwiseguys are the sites, anyone have any expirence with them?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so if I were to buy the Titanium model where would you say is best? I found 2 sites that sell it for ~$130 but I've never heard of either of them. Focalprice and shopwiseguys are the sites, anyone have any expirence with them?

Never heard of either of those. Are you in the US? If so, there are two trusted CPF dealers that carry the Sunwayman brand lights. www.goinggear.com www.batteryjunction.com

Last edited:

dixemon

Enlightened

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

jetbeam RRTO - S2 do have the infinitely variable output with hidden SOS & Strobe and very² bright - on par with my Fenix PD31 :whistle:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
The V10R is a great light, as is the RRT-0, but if I had to pick one out of the list the HDS Rotary 200 would be my choice. It's about as rugged as they come and is plenty bright and not to forget the variable output. I have all three of these lights, along with the EX 11.2. You cannot go wrong with any of the first three HOWEVER, the EX 11.2 has been nothing but problems.

Been back to the dealers once, now it's playing up again and the Piston drive is problematic too. I would personally never recommend a Nitecore product any more.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use to have the NiteCore IFE1 (see my sig avatar) but having a battery issue (it heat up pretty quickly but not the flashlight body) so now the JB RRTO-S2 is my favourites.
But i'm getting the HDS Rotary 200 too,i'll have to check it out how it goes once it's in my palm.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Focalprice looks like a drop ship bussiness, I dont think its US based. Shopwiseguys at least have a US address. If you pay with paypal you could always dispute if anything happened. I would call first and talk to someone.

Oh yeah, look here too for popular discount codes from most the the trusted dealers here on CPF.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?181841-quot-CPF-Specials-quot-webpages-dealers

I can't access that page, what are the discount codes for goinggear, battery junction, and whatever other dealers sell the V10r (regular or Ti) I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense as I just put in a 14hr day with a contractor and now this hurricane stuff (I live about an hour from VA Beach)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't access that page, what are the discount codes for goinggear, battery junction, and whatever other dealers sell the V10r (regular or Ti) I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense as I just put in a 14hr day with a contractor and now this hurricane stuff (I live about an hour from VA Beach)

The page opens for me. Try it again. I spent 8 years in the Norfolk/VA Beach area when I was in the NAVY.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
+1 for the Rotary. The only thing you might want to do is hang on until the hicri version comes out. But that may be forever so who knows. I love mine and its just awesome. Used a SF lanyard and tightened it around it so it doesnt roll around when put on a table, Also fits in the pocket nicely with it on. Its insanely rugged and I found that by using a poland spring water bottle cap, it works as an excellent room lighter. The cheap cap works as good as the SF diffusers and it doesnt scratch up the bezel or leave any marks. I love it. Run it on an RCR or a CR123 and you have a little throwy light or pop the cap on and its a room lighter, all with beautifully infinite brightness.

fl0t

Enlightened
I cannot praise enough the HDS Rotary. It is a great light! You cannot go wrong buying one of those: feels solid and it is solid, awesome UI, good beam, nice warranty.
For the Nitecore EX11.2 I can say I like the light, however, the parasitic drain can be a pain in the a#$$. I had to unscrew a couple of turns the light every night when I went to bed or else the battery was depleted within a week or two. I sold it to a friend.
About the Mac's Customs I cannot say anything, never had one. They look amazing though, and they have very good reviews.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
The page opens for me. Try it again. I spent 8 years in the Norfolk/VA Beach area when I was in the NAVY.

This is what it gives me:
rockingthe2, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

And thank you for your service, I'm shipping off to basic for the Navy in March.