AA Camping Flashlight

Gaobij

Newly Enlightened
Alight, first thread. I'm looking for some help picking out a flashlight for an upcoming camping trip. I'll be using it in the tent and on the trail so it should have a good low setting and high setting. I've got a few things that I'm looking for and I'm hoping someone can recommend something for me.

I'm looking for a flashlight with a XM-L LED and two button interface (button one: On/Off, button two: Change mode) with an output around the 300-500 lumen rating. Forward clicky or side switch doesn't really matter. My target price is around $80. I like when they come with sheaths and I would prefer AA powered but 123s are fine as long as it accepts rechargeables. Obviously reasonable battery life and build quality are important when going camping.

I was looking at the Jetbeam PA40 but I'm really not a fan of the UI. I'll be buying it from Amazon (have a gift card) so it should be available there (Sorry Zebralight:()

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
You gotta define how long you want it to run for. At 300 lumen 4AA should last a few hours. 300 lumen is really only needed when you are searching for stuff you can from far away. In camping, if you have camped in a lot of the Oregon area you will not need to look more than 40-50 feet in some areas at the dead of night. I have 140 lumen and it is great, perfect for a forest situation. But an open field might be another issue. I think that you should change your battery want to a D battery, that is if you were looking for batteries that are sold everywhere.

What is it exactly that you don't like about the Jetbeam PA40?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Fenix LD 40
While the lumen numbers are a less than your request, the neutral tint more than makes up for it on the trail. See the following links:

Why are warm tints better than cool tints for colour rendition?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-better-than-cool-tints-for-colour-rendition

Color Rendition and Tint Comparison: Cree, Rebel, GDP, Nichia
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ion-and-Tint-Comparison-Cree-Rebel-GDP-Nichia

"Neutral" vs Cool light
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?257789-quot-Neutral-quot-vs-Cool-light

-----

Since Fenix discontinued the L1T/L2T pure 2 mode flashlights are hard to find.

Fenix LD40 Operation:
The black button in the tail cap is the power switch; the silver button is the dimmer switch.
Depress the power switch lightly to activate the light immediately. Depress the switch completely to turn
on the flashlight and lock it on. Another depress will turn the flashlight off.
When the flashlight is first turned on, it will be in the default/constant output modes. Depress and hold
the dimmer switch for 0.5 seconds to shift into the flashing modes.
While in the default/constant output modes, depress the dimmer switch quickly (within 0.5 seconds) to
shift to the next output. The output sequence is as follows: Turbo > Low > Mid > High > Cycle.
In the flashing mode, depress the dimmer switch to cycle through the flashlight modes: Strobe > Rescue
Signal > Slow Flash > Cycle.
The LD40 will memorize the constant and flashing modes it was on when turned off

-----

Forget the XML. It is a power hog. At 3A-4A it will drain your battery(ies) in ONE hour.
It is a lot more floody than XPG, XPE and may not throw any farther.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what's been said. For a XM-L, running 3-500 lumens you are really looking at a 18650 or a CR123 light that will only for for an hour or so on high. If you went for something in the 200 Lumens range you would be more appropriate for AA or 2xAA batteries. Don't get hung up on a XM-L as it is a lot more floody (especially in smaller AA size lights) than a XP-G. You can easily make up in throw with a XP-G what you would lose at twice the lumens in a floody XM-L light.

I'm not going to do you work for you on Amazon, but a speedy search shows you can get Sunwayman lights which opens for a V10A (140 lumens) @ $82 or a V20A (210 lumens) @ $87. Both have the infinitely variable brightness knob and can go to really low output.

Napalm

Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight with a XM-L LED and two button interface (button one: On/Off, button two: Change mode) with an output around the 300-500 lumen rating.

Together with the AA battery requirement, you just called for the Fenix TK-41. The good news is that it produces 800 lumens. The bad news is that it's a little more expensive than your target price.

Nap.

Gaobij

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses everyone. I didn't mean to ask you guys to research. I've been reading the forums for a while and figured you could think of some stuff of the top, which you did. The LD40 looks good. The ideal flashlight would be a less powerful TK41 to bring down the price a bit but I'll keep looking.:thumbsup:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with LEDninja etc... The light you're asking for cannot be found for the price point you've mentioned.
However, within that price point, I think the LD40 is the closest compromise available... It checks almost all of your boxes.
It has the 2 buttons, with a nice simple UI.
It has the nice neutral tint, which you didn't ask for, but is a bonus.
It runs beautifully on a 4-pack of eneloops.
It has Fenix's excellent runtimes, regulation, and build quality.
The 248 lumen high is perfectly usable for camping and tramping.
The 245 hour, 4 lumen low will also be really good for camping uses.

For the sub-$80 price point, I can't think of a closer match to your requirements.
No, it doesn't have the XML, but the XML isn't the ideal emitter for every purpose... The XPG is a very good emitter.
(There's that other light that looks identical to the LD40 but has a carbon fibre body, but I didn't like the UI of that one. A poor imitation, IMHO. Maybe they were precluded from using the same UI due to patents or something, I don't know.)

Napalm

Enlightened
The light you're asking for cannot be found for the price point you've mentioned.

Happens. Personally, if I could afford it, I'd rather accept the higher price than buy something I don't really like.

Nap.

Gaobij

Newly Enlightened
I'd rather accept the higher price than buy something I don't really like.

That's what I'm thinking, too. The TK41 is just too pricey. I've actually started looking at the Eagletac P20C2. I'm not a huge fan of the twisting head action. Is it really as annoying as it looks?

Napalm

Enlightened
Is it really as annoying as it looks?

If you plan using high and medium modes most of the time, it's actually very easy (tighten the head for high and loosen for medium).

If you need frequent access to the other modes (low, strobe, sos, beacon), it may become tedious (as you quickly have to tighten then loosen the head).

For straightforward, simple interface I would look at Sunwayman's magnetic ring lights. Can't get any easier than that.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
What about the Quark Turbo X? I just bought one on the marketplace for 60 bucks, I think they are on amazon for around 80. It has a Quark programmable UI but once you set it, which is simple, you get one mode when the head is tight and one mode when the head is loose. It has a click on off or momentary on tailcap. Itll run for 20 days on lowmode but will put out 450 lumens from an XML emitter and really light up the night. I already have a Quark Turbo and the thing is brighter than any of my Malkoff's, Surefires, Zebralights, or my HDS Rotary. I have good quality lights but the Quark is probably the one I would take with my camping. Due to its versatility and incredible run times. Yes it takes cr123's but can also fit a 17670. That's what Id go with. Also comes with a sheath and a lanyard. Check, check, and check.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Maybe not quite exactly what you're looking for, what I found to be close but very useful was the Fenix LD20. Mine came with two different kinds of diffusers, one a flat one and the other a cone one. It was perfect to hang upside down in a tent or cabin and evenly light up a large area with the diffuser. Want high output, just keep on the 180 lumen mode and change out the batteries after a few hours. Get it to tailstand against something, and it makes a good table lantern too.

It's IPX-8 waterproof in case you were camping near a river and wanted to go near or in the water, no fear of dropping it in. All my Fenix lights have been on for hours underwater without any problems.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman M40A XML. I see the M40A on Amazon but it does not say if it is the XML version (the old version had an MCE which you don't want).

The M40A XML uses 4AA batteries and will do 600 lumens for 1.5 hours
200 lumens for 6 hours
30 lumens for 35hours

Build quality is outstanding. It puts out an absolutely amazing amount of light for a light that is only a bit over 5.5" in length. The M40A XML also has amazing throw. My M40A XML using 4 AA batteries actually out throws my similar sized Maelstrom X10 which uses a 26650 cell. It is about $40 more than your target price but it is worth every penny.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I assume you'll be car camping? If so there seems to be some good choices mentioned. If you're into hiking more though you'll probably want something lighter than 4xAA and smaller, and dont quite need 500L either. If you are backpacking, a very bright (260 lumen, and down to .1) 2xAA w/ XML would be the ThruNite Neutron 2A, I've been eye-balling that one myself. Doesnt have the two button interface though, less than 80.