easiest way to make a "tactical" LX2 or E2DL

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire has "Tactical" as well as "Pro" versions of their 6PX, for those who prefer only a single high mode. Unfortunately no similar option in their 200l LED's with the smaller 1" head. Just wanted to make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking, or no cheaper way to put together something similar (using a different tail switch or something that would possibly enable only high mode?), or anything other than having to buy an executive model just for the body, then a kxc2 head ($150!)- or is that the only way? At least incan executives are reasonable lately.

Any thoughts appreciated.

S1LVA

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure if you take the LX2 head and put on an E2 body, it becomes single stage 200 lumens. It has to do with the lack of electronics in the e-series body.

S1LVA

Edit: I read your OP too fast, you knew this already! My bad...

Erzengel

Enlightened
Just take an LX2 head with an E-series body, like S1LVA mentioned. You can also use the E2D body with the LX2 head. both lights have the electronics in their heads. The difference is, that the E2DL switches modes by counting clicks, while the LX2 switches modes based on the tailcap resistance. The LX2 Head will interprete every normal tailcap like a fully pressed LX2 tailcap. There is no similar way for modifying an E2D, it will need professional and permanent modding.
The LX2 switch has different threads than normal e-series lights. Therefore You need an e-series body with a regular switch.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aleph powerpack bodies and tailcaps also work nicely with SF E heads. Another head not mentioned is the single mode 200 lumen KX2C head.

Roger999

Enlightened
1. Buy E2E from CPFMP.
2. Buy a KuKu E series single mode drop in for around $50.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you want to do that? The beauty of the two stage switch is instant access to either.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Why would you want to do that? The beauty of the two stage switch is instant access to either.

Amen!
The Lx2 is already 'Tactically Correct', allowing instant access to either mode at will. So if you only want the light to come on in high mode, just fully press the tail cap switch. If you want low mode for a 'covert' trip to the head at o'dark thirty, give it a half press, or a short twist for constant on low mode.

IMHO, the dual stage switch in use by Surefire, is the absolute best multi-mode UI for a personal EDC or duty light.

J.

yowzer

Enlightened
I'm playing around with an LX2 head on an E1B body, powered by a RCR123. End result is a brighter (Compared to the E1B head on the LX2 body with a CR123 and a spacer) single-mode Backup. It's pretty nifty.

I love the pressure sensitive tailcap for momentary use and constant-on low. But it sucks for constant-on high mode, due to the amount of tightening you have to do on the tailcap.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a VME bezel?

with a single mode drop-in, such as a malkoff? or a single mode nailbender?

Erzengel

Enlightened
A VME is larger than a regular e-series head and a Nailbender won't fit in it. If one prefers the TIR beam of the LX2 or the E2D, a M61 wight be too floody.
If You put a single mode head on the LX2 body, you will still have two levels because of the resistor in the tailcap.