Hurricane Irene...

scout24

Flashaholic
I don't think this is jumping the gun, we're going to see the effects of this storm starting here within the next 72 hours. It's projected to hit a bunch of areas that don't typically see storm activity like this, so I was thinking a thread to stay in touch with the CPF'ers that may be in harm's way and to discuss current conditions would be a good idea. I'm just north and west of NYC, prepared (fingers crossed) and hoping for the best. Please post with where you are if you're so inclined.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Flushing, about 2 miles east of Flushing Meadows Park. 60 feet above sea level, so we're not in a potential evacuation zone. My brother probably is. He lives right near the water in the Rockaways. He'll probably be staying with us for the duration of this.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Make sure you've got a battery-powered radio set to your local news station; it could become very important over the next few days..

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
DC area. Our fortunes are still in question as related to the impact here. Just got through an earthquake - now a hurricane. Sheesh.

UPDATE - yesterday tried to get my 11 year old, severely neglected generator to start - it wouldn't - can't get it repaired until next week. Broke down and bought a new economy Honda generator - I'll get the other repaired and put it on Craigslist or something...

BTW - thanks, Scout, for the advice!:thumbsup:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.898407,-77.227538

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am right in the middle of CT which seems to be directly in the path of many of the current forecast models. I am pretty far from the shore though, so hopefully the effects will not be as severe. I have about a dozen 18650 cells from laptops here waiting just in case though...

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always found the web site Wunderground to have the most comprehensive hour by hour weather information at times like this. Just plug your zip code into the first link. Here is an excellent link for monitoring the progress of the storm. The computer models provide a lot more information than you'll usually get from your local radio or TV station.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Yup about 50 miles north of NYC here. Batteries all charged yesterday, will be firing up the generator today and getting gas for it. Wife went shopping yesterday.

Xacto

Enlightened
Other side of the pond, but after reading some details about Irene, I will try to stay up-to-date how it will develop.

Best wishes and stay safe to the CPF members.... to all people in the area that will probably get hit.

Thorsten

scout24

Flashaholic
Ezo- Thank you for the link! I went to my local Home Depot at 6:30 this morning, flashlights pretty much cleaned out, all common batteries were still available, but in very limited quantities. Blue tarps, work gloves, and generators obviously also picked pretty much clean. No chainsaws either, but plenty of bar and chain oil, as well as 2-stroke mix. Hope we need none of it… Hope everyone makes it out okay. Sheet plywood was also in very limited supply... as were gas cans.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just left Home Depot - glad I bought my generator when I did! HD had none - some flashlights, lots of batteries and some power tools. I have oil and gas for my chain saw, but I don't think the DC area is going to get hit as badly as some of you good folks in NY/NJ/CT.

Bought some more charcoal and an additional full propane tank - lady at HD said they had been going full tilt since 8 this morning. I'm glad I have lots of water, filtration, MREs and tons of freeze dried food! Firearms and plenty of ammo, but don't expect to need that - still, this could be a dry run for a worse scenario some day. I hope this one passes and the 'some day' never comes! Good luck everyone -

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
DC area. Our fortunes are still in question as related to the impact here. Just got through an earthquake - now a hurricane. Sheesh.

UPDATE - yesterday tried to get my 11 year old, severely neglected generator to start - it wouldn't - can't get it repaired until next week. Broke down and bought a new economy Honda generator - I'll get the other repaired and put it on Craigslist or something...

BTW - thanks, Scout, for the advice!:thumbsup:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.898407,-77.227538
Get some stabil brand fuel stabilizer, put it in your big gas can, and some in the generator tank. when your done using the generator, shut off the fuel and run it dry. Some of them have a drain plug on the fuel bowl. let that drain also. This ethanol gas we have now is the worst thing for carbs. I help out my buddy who owns a small engine repair shop, most all no start problems this year have been from the fuel. The ethanol severely reduces the shelf life of the gas and it absorbs moisture. Moisture reeks havoc on the carbs, and the ethanol eats away the rubber seats and seals.
Stay safe everyone

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have been what is called a Prepper [[or Doomer- depending on whether you country country or the city.]] for several years.

My wife is mostly 'there' but not as hardcore as myself.

Moved into her house last year and have been trying to get her to see things my way.

She has a genny but no gas. She has plenty of camping gear including solar showers but little water storage capacity.

Now I am 'making do' and wrapping things up-better than most bit no where *near* my "500 gallons of drinking water/500 gallons gasoline/500 gallons propane/plus food for ten for a year.

We are 90 miles from the coast in NC. Not sure if it is going to brush us or landfall here then move North. We are expecting 115mph winds for what I gather.

Well, if we survive I think the light is now on in her head.

She was eyeing my EagleTac last night asking if I had batteries. ;)

Good luck and Godspeeed.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been promised a hurricane, I am expecting a hurricane, and by dog I want my hurricane! I understand it will be slightly used by the time it gets here, have a little mileage on it, probably be leaking a little rain and all, but still, I want my hurricane!

WDR65

Enlightened
Vehicles are full of gas and we've got plenty of diesel for our loaders. Chainsaws are sharp and generator is ready to go. I've got all my flashlights, headlamps and lanterns loaded up with fresh batteries. The forecast for us keeps changing but at the very least I expect to lose power for a day or so. Its been a while since I've been worried about one and we haven't taken one on the chin for 12 years but this one is gonna be close.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im in RI 3 miles from the coast.
All batteries charged and ready! Chainsaw ;check
water; check.
food ;check
beer; double check

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ezo- Thank you for the link! I went to my local Home Depot at 6:30 this morning, flashlights pretty much cleaned out, all common batteries were still available, but in very limited quantities. Blue tarps, work gloves, and generators obviously also picked pretty much clean. No chainsaws either, but plenty of bar and chain oil, as well as 2-stroke mix. Hope we need none of it… Hope everyone makes it out okay. Sheet plywood was also in very limited supply... as were gas cans.

You are welcome scout! Yeah, I've been a fan of Wunderground for years and they just keep getting better. For anyone who is interested there is a wealth of information. Try the interactive WunderMap; it is quite amazing. Click on some of the options on the right hand side of the page to see what I'm talking about. It is basically Google powered but well crafted for it's purpose.

I guess it's just human nature but some of us keep all the items you mention and more on hand as a matter of course and some folks don't have a candle, a book of matches, a single working flashlight or a can of tuna on hand in case of an emergency so they panic at the last minute and have to scramble at Home Depot and the supermarket.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
For those in the area or anyone listening online/using TuneIn; radio news stations in Irene's path doing news and coverage:

WHKT AM 1650 Hampton Road is taking calls and discussing evacuation routes
WLTT FM 93.7 Wilmington is going to begin nonstop info and updates starting a 5AM local time tomorrow
WRJR AM 670 Chesapeake is taking calls and providing updates
WNIS AM 790 Norfolk will begin nonstop news at 11AM local time tomorrow

nightops.jpg

Last edited: