Got my DEFT EDC

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
. . . the other day. It really is a beautiful light. You can tell effort went into the work on the host and the threads. Bright as heck. I put it on the wall along with my Catapult V2 SST-50, and when you move the DEFT into the Catapult's hotspot, it still shows up clear as day and highly defined. Outside, it really throws like a beast, albeit with no spill. Spendy? Yeah, a bit. But. . . it's so unique and well done, and the thought you can toss it in your back pocket and still have something that throws so far is amazing.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only it wasn't 18650-only, I'd have gotten one in an instant. I don't care if a light doesn't take rechargeables. If, however, it can't take primaries, then it has no use for me.

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting light. I've been considering one but I'm still on the fence.

Well, from my perspective, I knew going in that I really don't have any practical reason for having it. It's just so cool though to be walking with a floody light and you come to a dark open area with trees or houses in the distance, pull out the DEFT EDC and BOOM! A square of light, with no flood in the immediate area, illuminating a house 150, 200 yards yards away. Not just "seeing" it, lighting it up. If you try to use it on anything close the spot is so bright it blinds you. There's nothing else out there like it and for me that's reason enough to have it. Overall I've decided I like floody lights better, and if you get enough raw power even a floody light gives throw to a reasonable distance, but something like the DEFT EDC really is unique.

notsofast

Enlightened
If only it wasn't 18650-only, I'd have gotten one in an instant. I don't care if a light doesn't take rechargeables. If, however, it can't take primaries, then it has no use for me.

The DEFT takes 4 AA's not an 18650. As for rechargeables eneloops work well in it.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting that you mention the 'work on the the host and threads', afaik the host used is just a basic Skyray SR-5 host which can be bought for around $10. The lense, construction and manufacturing of the pill and electronics are where all the cost comes from.

Would you be able to give comparisons against any other throwers?

cgonko

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting that you mention the 'work on the the host and threads', afaik the host used is just a basic Skyray SR-5 host which can be bought for around $10. The lense, construction and manufacturing of the pill and electronics are where all the cost comes from.

Would you be able to give comparisons against any other throwers?

Actually, the outer rings are removed and replaced and the threads are all deburred and greased. And yes, the guts inside are all top notch. I'll see if I can get a simple wall comparison of some other lights with all the hot spots lined up together in one shot. The closest would be my Catapult, but that's sst-50 and easily surpassed by the XML model. The EDC is supposedly 40k lux, which is comparable to more than most of the much bigger XML's. In comparing to my Catapult, 40k lux seems (unscientifically) about right.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I wonder if you could run a 123 primary with a dummy cell? A bit lower voltage, but it should still throw pretty well.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since many people have been wanting (myself included) to see how the DEFT EDC performs next to some similar throwers. The shootout will go down on Oct 1, 2011 at Shedevils house at the San Jose,CA CPF meet.

The competitor will be build almost identical to the DEFT EDC, but will have these specs instead:

• Pelican M6 hosts....Surefire 6P type/size
  • Ahorton 27.5mm Aspheric
  • 2.1A driver
  • Copper slug heatsink will thread into the Pelican body
  • Pelican will take IMR 18650 cell
  • XR-E R2 EZ100 will be used
  • Copper to LED bonding
This will be ready by this weekend and plenty of time to take on the DEFT EDC.

The Ahorton Aspheric glass is incredible. I used a Nailbender XR-E R2 1.3A P60 pill and screwed it into the Aspheric Kit that Ahorton sells. I got 27K lux and 210 OTF, with the Aspheric on. With OP reflector it was 290 OTF.

Then I got a copper slug P60 threaded Pill with XR-E R2 EZ100 and in direct drive mode it made 27.5K lux and 220 OTF. Not much improvement despite pulling 1.8A at the tail off IMR 18650 in direct drive mode. My thinking is the thermal path presented limitations.

Thus, this next build will have many times more copper and incorporate LED to copper bonding:thumbsup:

Battle of the EDC Aspherics.....There willl be many pictures and reviews to follow.

bigC

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since many people have been wanting (myself included) to see how the DEFT EDC performs next to some similar throwers. The shootout will go down on Oct 1, 2011 at Shedevils house at the San Jose,CA CPF meet.

The competitor will be build almost identical to the DEFT EDC, but will have these specs instead:

• Pelican M6 hosts....Surefire 6P type/size
  • Ahorton 27.5mm Aspheric
  • 2.1A driver
  • Copper slug heatsink will thread into the Pelican body
  • Pelican will take IMR 18650 cell
  • XR-E R2 EZ100 will be used
  • Copper to LED bonding
This will be ready by this weekend and plenty of time to take on the DEFT EDC.

The Ahorton Aspheric glass is incredible. I used a Nailbender XR-E R2 1.3A P60 pill and screwed it into the Aspheric Kit that Ahorton sells. I got 27K lux and 210 OTF, with the Aspheric on. With OP reflector it was 290 OTF.

Then I got a copper slug P60 threaded Pill with XR-E R2 EZ100 and in direct drive mode it made 27.5K lux and 220 OTF. Not much improvement despite pulling 1.8A at the tail off IMR 18650 in direct drive mode. My thinking is the thermal path presented limitations.

Thus, this next build will have many times more copper and incorporate LED to copper bonding:thumbsup:

Battle of the EDC Aspherics.....There willl be many pictures and reviews to follow.

bigC

My money says it will be a draw. I bet 2.1A and copper to LED bonding should get you to close or equal to the DEFT 40k lux (and you will have more OTF lumens). If not, I'll be even more amazed by the DEFT EDC and that little XPC.

duro

Enlightened
Good news. I just received an email from saabluster stating he will modify compatible hosts to include the deft edc light engine. Surefire, etc...Very cool. I know I asked him this a while back.

"The third addition to our site is the option to have your own flashlight modified with the DEFT-edc light engine. This is a really nice service because many people have a favored brand such as Surefire but want the state-of-the-art in throw performance that only OMG Lumens can provide. The service is offered for P60 compatible lights only. More details can be found here."

Enlightened
My money says it will be a draw. I bet 2.1A and copper to LED bonding should get you to close or equal to the DEFT 40k lux (and you will have more OTF lumens). If not, I'll be even more amazed by the DEFT EDC and that little XPC.

Close or not close, i'd like to see competition and lower prices. Currently i'll just make do with the dbs aspheric (well built!) and buldging pocket. Still waiting to see reports if the 1.5A can hit 75k.

Last edited: