What do I do with my obsolete lights? Pelican M6 and Streamlight Twintask 2L

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
Before LED's became super powerful, I had a few nice budget lights.

I don't imagine there's any resale market for old incandescents. Is there anything I can do with two old Pelican M6's and a Streamlight Twintask 2L?

I'm hoping to hear about amazing drop in mod elements which will make my old lights amazing high end LED juggernauts, but I'll be happy with any suggestions. A waterproof match holder perhaps? :)

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I have plenty of lights in emergency places already, but thank you. I'm hoping for something that will bring new life to them or repurpose them.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
One nice thing that I like about the PM6 is that the end of the body is threaded both inside and out. The outside breads are for threading on the head and the inside threads are for you to thread on the incan bulb module. Well, those same threads will allow you to thread on different LED modules and the best part is that, since it's threaded on, the thermal path will be pretty good. No more worries about springs for negative contact or copper tape to improve thermal contact.

I've got a PM6 at home right now waiting for a custom pill driving an XR-E at over 1A behind an Ahorton aspheric. The aspheric drops right onto the head and only needs a simple ring to take up the gap between it and the lens retaining ring.

As for ready-made drop-ins I don't know of any.

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
One nice thing that I like about the PM6 is that the end of the body is threaded both inside and out. The outside breads are for threading on the head and the inside threads are for you to thread on the incan bulb module. Well, those same threads will allow you to thread on different LED modules and the best part is that, since it's threaded on, the thermal path will be pretty good. No more worries about springs for negative contact or copper tape to improve thermal contact.

I've got a PM6 at home right now waiting for a custom pill driving an XR-E at over 1A behind an Ahorton aspheric. The aspheric drops right onto the head and only needs a simple ring to take up the gap between it and the lens retaining ring.

As for ready-made drop-ins I don't know of any.

This is the kind of answer I was thinking of, I was just hoping these drop in modules might be more freely available. Where did you get yours,what kind of output do you get and do you have any pictures?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the kind of answer I was thinking of, I was just hoping these drop in modules might be more freely available. Where did you get yours,what kind of output do you get and do you have any pictures?

I haven't got it because I haven't made it, yet. I don't know what the output is going to be, but, I'm guessing somewhere around 325 lumens. I'll post pictures when I'm done building it.

The plan is to make a copper pill that threads onto the end of the body. The body will be bored for 18650s and a single-mode AMC 7135 driver used with an added 7135 chip for 1.7A. The XR-E will be reflowed onto a slice of C110 copper and that will be screwed down to the pill with Arctic Silver thermal compound. I *might* just solder the LED directly to the pill for even better thermal performance, though this is risky and might fry the LED.

TheTomas

Newly Enlightened
I haven't got it because I haven't made it, yet. I don't know what the output is going to be, but, I'm guessing somewhere around 325 lumens. I'll post pictures when I'm done building it.

The plan is to make a copper pill that threads onto the end of the body. The body will be bored for 18650s and a single-mode AMC 7135 driver used with an added 7135 chip for 1.7A. The XR-E will be reflowed onto a slice of C110 copper and that will be screwed down to the pill with Arctic Silver thermal compound. I *might* just solder the LED directly to the pill for even better thermal performance, though this is risky and might fry the LED.

That sounds awesome. If you're successful and can keep costs reasonable, I'd consider buying a version that will run on cr123s if you were so inclined. I love the body of these lights, they just need new guts. Is there an option for something that would work with the stock reflector?

Good luck with your project!

IcantC

Enlightened
Either upgrade them or give away to someone else that can use them.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
My solution - bring them to work, put up a sign, and sell them to non-flashaholic co-workers who don't require the newest technology. It has helped me fund a new light, and clears out the house so the wife doesn't see so many flashlights laying around.