Random flashlight thoughts thread

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I have random flashlight related thoughts that I'd like to share, but they don't merit individual threads of their own. So I was hoping we could get a thread going were we could share these random thoughts without cluttering the boards. I'll start...

Tonight, I walked out the front door and was genuinely dismayed when the motion activated flood lights came on, rendering my flashlight useless.:sigh:

Last edited:

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
F*&% I need more money so I can buy more flashlights, is what i think of every day.

Random thought, Unless I am willing to carry a diffuser with me 24/7 (which i am not) then all my flashlights are useless as work lights. When chopping wood or building outside I turn on my lights and point them in the are I am working in, but they are blinding and distracting, always glare in my eyes even when looking 90 degrees else were.

Last edited:

saypat

Enlightened
The other night I was talking the back off of my new digital volt meter to put a battery in it. One of the tiny little screws fell on my carpet. I was feeling around with my hand trying to find it. HOW was i going to find it??? Duh, I had two flashlights right there on the table. I grabbed the UF-H2B, turned it on and spotted the screw immediately! True story. I never use my lights for a purpose, this time I did. Does that justify my compulsion/addiction?

Samy

Enlightened
F*&% I need more money so I can buy more flashlights, is what i think of every day.

Random thought, Unless I am willing to carry a diffuser with me 24/7 (which i am not) then all my flashlights are useless as work lights. When chopping wood or building outside I turn on my lights and point them in the are I am working in, but they are blinding and distracting, always glare in my eyes even when looking 90 degrees else were.

I used my TK-41 in the dark laying on it's side to hook up a trailor last week... worked great!

I always think 'damn' when my front porch light comes on. I like sneaking from my car to the front door with 1 or 2 lumens from my flashlight when i get home from work...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can diffuse a throwy beam, but, you cannot focus a floody beam. If anyone has figured out how please let us know!

I prefer small floody beam flashlights for pocket carry because it's far easier to carry a small light and not need it than to have a big light, but, cannot use it because you can't carry it and don't have it on you when you need it. Floody beams work better up close.

uknewbie

Banned
You can diffuse a throwy beam, but, you cannot focus a floody beam.

True, but a diffused beam is not nearly as nice as a true flood beam. I sold my ZL SC51F for this very reason. No-where near as nice as the H501 proper flood.

If your flood light doesn't throw far enough for you, get a brighter one :naughty:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Tonight, I walked out the front door and was generally dismayed when the motion activated flood lights came on, rendering my flashlight useless.:sigh:

I have thought this many times when the power comes back on after an outage.

Sarlix

Enlightened

Sounds like you need one of those floody Zebralights ;)

Sarlix

Enlightened
I had a not so random thought the other night as I was walk through a place I haven't been for years. It used to be very dark, overgrown, woody type place with a path through the middle. I was looking forward to putting my new Q mini to good use, when to my horror I saw that they have chopped down all the trees and illuminated the path with no less than a dozen street lamps! Rendering my Q mini useless :-(

And I couldn't help but think 'street lights ruin all my fun' :sigh:

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
You can diffuse a throwy beam, but, you cannot focus a floody beam. If anyone has figured out how please let us know!

I prefer small floody beam flashlights for pocket carry because it's far easier to carry a small light and not need it than to have a big light, but, cannot use it because you can't carry it and don't have it on you when you need it. Floody beams work better up close.

You can't unscramble scrambled eggs. :) (Maybe not terribly relevant but that's what came to mind reading this post.)

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
-E2e is a good pocket thrower(at that time)
-Surefire is really tough
-P60 traps heat damn well
-Once you are addicted, theres no way you can return, even though flashlight arent drugs
-Your greed to flashlight never ends

h_nu

Enlightened
I heard a customer ask a store employee "Where are the flashlights?" and my instinct was to pat my belt to make sure my Fenix was there. I thought to myself "One on my belt, one on my keyring, 3 more in the car, 60 at home..." :)

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
It feels very nerdy to realise you'd rather have a larger, lower-output keychain light in order to build battery redundancy into your EDC. It also feels great.

AaronG

Enlightened
Add a diffuser. If it's not enough add a thicker diffuser.

I'm not sure that would help. You would have to try and add some sort of dome in front of the lens to spread it out more. If you really want a wide flood it makes more sense to get the H501.

The wait for the H502 is killing me!