2d mag ssc p7 please help!!!!

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post and this will be my first real light build. :twothumbs

So I want to try building a 2D Maglite and have bought the body but I have some questions about how to build. I think I want to go with a SSC P7 emitter and DHS HAIII heatsink but I'm not sure what driver to use or how to set it up? I've tried looking around at other posts to find a good answer but I'm still not sure... Maybe it's because I'm stoopid :wave: but any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Also I plan on using a UCL lens.

moderator007

Enlightened
If I was going to build a 2D p7 mag I would probably use this driver with 2 18650's and adapter to fit the mag. I have run lots of test on this driver. Its my opinion thats its a excellent driver for p7 and XM-L builds with a 8.4v input. Its a constant current and constant voltage driver. You can change the current to the led by changing the resistance on the sense resistor.
You will have to modify the spring to make it work. It needs to be shorter, the 18650's are longer than the original 2D's.Its not hard to do at all. They are several post describe how to do this. You can make your own adapter by going to lowes or other hardware stores and trying different size pvc plumbing fittings and pipe combinations to make it work. Take the batteries and the mag with you for testing. This is were I use to find all my mag adapters.

Last edited:

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
I didnt even think about 18650's but I already have some laying around, so I'll go that route. Also that will give me an excuse to buy a couple more AW's. :huh:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do not mind a single level you can put 3C into a 2D Mag.

In Ernsanada's review of the Elektrolumens P7 3C/2D he has photos of how Elektrolumens did it.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?194716-Elektro-Lumens-P7-2D-3C-Maglite
Elektrolumens machined a spacer tube but I've read people who just got 1" electrical conduit pipe from the local hardware store. Elektrolumens machined out the tailcap but you can probably just cut the spring short.

I assume you have already read this but if you have not:
How To Mod a Maglite P7 - 38 PICS
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you feel ambitious, you could consider 3x26500 (e.g., AW's IMR26500 cells) in the 2D Mag. Alternatively, you could use 2x26650.

For a driver, order the Shark Buck 3A from The Sandwich Shoppe, and specify no trim pot (or remove it yourself). I'd also get a SharkSink-D and a logarithmic external pot to give you "infinite" dimming control.

Assemble the 3x26500 cells as shown here. If you go with 2x26650, you will use the same PVC conduit spacer approach and the same tail spring mod (de-anodize the tail cap using drain cleaner, cut down the spring, and fit the spring into the bottom of the tail cap).

Assemble the Shark Buck, SharkSink, and external pot as discussed here and here. Use your DHS heat sink instead of the download Multi-Sink that I used in the second link. You can use the stock Mag reflector (cut down the cam) or get something like this MOP reflector from KD.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping to get away with rechargeable D cells but I'm open to suggestions.

you'd need boost driver with 2 rechargeable d cells, but you can use 3 C cells (or even AA) with no driver at all, I had 3d p7 running on 3d cells, no problems, the only thing I had to wait like a day after I charged the cells so voltage dropped a bit, but with c or AA cells you will most likely not need to do that, just use millimeter to measure current, anything bellow 2, 8 amps is fine.
I wouldn't go crazy with your first mod, do as simple as possible, once you get hooked you'll go advanced, but if your first mod gives you problems, and is complicated, it will discourage you from modding any more lights