new to flashlight world. looking for knowledgeable input

knives357

Newly Enlightened
I used the search option but was kinda overwhelmed and it was pretty spotty on finding what I was looking for. I've looked for lights with the wants I've put here and the Fenix TK15 came out being the one I picked but I'm a light noob :p I was hoping some people with knowledge of lights could give me some helpful input

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget
around 80$

3) Format:
I want a flashlight

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
thin, comfy in pocket, can be alittle bulky if it gets the job done

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_X__CR123

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_X__looking for something that can throw a decent spot at a 100 yards or at least be able to make out what an object is at 100 yards so that will more than likly determine the brightness

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_X__looking for something that can throw a decent spot at a 100 yards or at least be able to make out what an object is at 100 yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_X__I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
__X__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
__X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__X__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__X__I don't know.

thaugen

Enlightened
Eagletac p20c2 mkii xm-l - great light with nice balance of throw and flood. Well made, lots of accessories included, affordable and super bright.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider Lumens Factory SP-6 Seraph. Light Hound stocks the 3 mode version for under $50, you can use the remaining $ for primary CR123s or for rechargeable RCR123s and a charger, either would fit your budget.

knives357

Newly Enlightened
ooh I'm liking the Eagletac p20c2 mkii xm-l
and I actually already plan on buying a PD30 as a back up light

The Lumens Factory SP-6 Seraph not gonna lie, to me, looks kinda ugly.. lol

can the PD30 throw out to 100 yards and still be able to make out objects if it had to?

TY to the few so far and future people that have helped

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
Hello, first post. I'm in the same boat as knives357. I just bought a Fenix LD10. I don't know yet but I may get another light or two. The main question I have is what are the features are used more often for the non-occupational use of a flashlight? I've had a mini-maglite forever and have been pretty satisfied with it. I also bought the Nite-Ize 1 watt LED bulb and IQ switch for different brightness levels.

So, I'd like to say hello to knives357 and others. I'll appreciate any info I get but the questions in this thread will cover anything I may ask so I'll just piggyback my questions here if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Jack
PS: Do you have to answer the random question at the beginning of a post? If so, why?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seraph is "different" looking, you either love it or hate it... Another good quality light is the SolarForce L2 series lights. For your $80 you could have a L2P or L2T w/ a nice multi-mode drop-in plus either CR123 primaries or RCR rechargeables + charger. Best part is that the L2 is a P60 based design so you can buy various drop-ins for your needs.

http://www.sbflashlights.com/

Jake [the owner of the site] is a CPF supporter and member.

Latest posts