My take on the Fenix TK70

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
First, let me apologize for the abbreviated and not-too-detailed review. I'm posting this from my phone while sitting at a campsite.

I got my light in the mail from Battery Junction yesterday. Purchased the "kit" that had four Tenergy brand D-Cells, a rapid charger (that appears to be 4 independent channels) and the aforementioned TK70. Ordered on Tuesday night so was very obviously handled expeditiously.

As most flashaholics, I was stuck and anxious as the shipments always come at the worst time... Daytime. Went to my basement and white wall compared it to a couple of my lights including my HID. Overall, not much to be garnered there so figured I'd bring it with me camping.

Last night my wife took it and my Eagletac M2C4 down to the lake and played with them there. Temps dropped dramatically from the daytime highs so fog hindered some of our efforts but I can say this. On the second brightness level, the hotspot (which is bigger than the Eagletac's) is brighter than the M2C4. Overall output is less than the P7 is throwing though.

That all changes with a third click, thus kicking the Fenix into "high". Here, it simply steps well above the Eagletac. Remember though, there is on more setting to go. Into turbo, we were both highly impressed. While it may not throw the sheer amount of light out that my HID does, the fact that I can turn it on and off rapidly AND still see nearly as much at distances my eye can discern, makes it now one of my primary go-to lights for checking the surrounding property at nigh.

I originally intended to go for the big-boy Olight but upon reading a lot of reviews, figured I could get the results I wanted out of the Fenix for a lot less money and without a proprietary battery.

I plan to put it to more tests Sunday night when I get home from camping but at this point, very happy with purchase and have finally decided to sell my HID light as I no longer feel I need it.

Sorry, no pics as my camera phone takes fantastic photos but lacks proper manual settings to get good night shots.

Sent via HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
4be10f1d-4a19-63b4.jpg

One pic. Soda can for comparison.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're in the woods camping, using flashlights in the pitch black which includes a brand new Fenix TK70, alright I'm jealous:D Seriously though, thanks for the overall impressions on the light.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Truth be told, its just as dark at my house. If I turn my security light off, its pitch black. I have no neighbors and live in the country side. We only go camping to "get out of the house".

I'm looking forward to trying it out at home. I'm sure it will impress me there as well.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truth be told, its just as dark at my house. If I turn my security light off, its pitch black. I have no neighbors and live in the country side. We only go camping to "get out of the house".

I'm looking forward to trying it out at home. I'm sure it will impress me there as well.

Now I'm really jealous, my yard is lit up like daylight from both one neighbors dusk till dawn light, and the other neighbors double dusk till dawn lights. PS, whats the energizer thing in the pic?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Sorry, just saw that you replied.

It's not a solar charger. Most of the places I go a solar charger would be useless.

It's the Energizer XP18000. Charge it at home from a socket and it allows me to recharge my Android phone 14 times OR allows me to plug in and leave my phone on with screen up and GPS running while geocaching.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Oh, 18000 is also the milliamp/hour of it.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Getting off subject so ill drag it back a moment.

One thing I do NOT like about the TK70 is the strobe feature. It alternates between two speeds. I'd prefer it to stay at its 15hz speed and stay constant.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I'm just waiting for Halloween to show up and i'll take my tk70 out with the kids trick o' treating! I always get crazy looks every year, it's a blast.

I can definitely see the use for this light if you are out in the woods/country and need lots of light to illuminate property etc ...

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Having a couple of nights to toy with it here at the house, I'm happy. At the closer ranges I deal with here at the house, the amount of light rivals my hid. It's only at long range that the hid starts to overtake it.

Is say that under 150 yards, the beam from the 70 may actually appear brighter to my eye.