Sunwayman M40A XM-L beamshots ?

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Are there any owners of a Sunwayman M40A XM-L here that could share with me some outdoor (and indoor, if possible) beamshots?

The reason I'm asking for this is because I would like to purchase the light but I wasn't too impress with the way the beam looks in the M40A XM-L review here on cpf. I was expecting to see a beautiful block of light with a huge, bright spill just as my Neutron 2AA but instead it had a small bright center and somehow dim and uneven spill (at least from that one picture on the review page).
:thanks: in advance :thumbsup:

Napalm

Enlightened
LOL, I offered to do some in another thread but there was no interest at the time so I kept playing COD instead.

What you've seen is correct, it is a thrower with little spill. The hotspot is about the same size of an XP-G with small reflector (whatever most 2xAA lights will output), i.e. smaller than what you would expect from XM-L. You can see side by side shot with a 2xAA XP-G light (M20A) here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?315743-New-Toys!/page2

The good part is that the hotspot is very uniform, with slightly brighter center and with nice graduated fade at the edges. No contest with the doughnuts with dimmer center I've seen with so many XP-G.

If you're looking for flood I'd suggest you research the Jetbeam PA40 instead.

Nap.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are comparing a flood light that has a very diffused beam (Neutron) with a thrower (M40A XML). The two lights have a totally different purpose and totally different beams. The M40A XML has a fantastic beam for a small thrower. The Neutron has a great diffused beam. The Neutron is great for indoor use and close up tasks but it falls flat on its face if you want to use it outside to see 100 meters away. It would be useless. The M40A XML is equally useless inside because the beam is too intense but it rocks outside when you need to see out into the distance. The M40A XML flood is also plenty to see where you are while also have a great view of what is in front of you. As Nap said, the beam of the M40A XML is fantastic with no donut hole.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the information. I assumed that since it was the XM-L version it would be a really floody light (and I love flood :D) but ...

LOL, I offered to do some in another thread but there was no interest at the time so I kept playing COD instead.

Napalm,
I just saw your thread - would you be able to post those outside pictures that you were talking for there ? I really want to see how this light performs outside, especially on medium to long distances. :thumbsup:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be able to get some beam shots next week of the M40A and Neutron. At distance greater than about 100 feet, I'm guessing the Neutron will not even show up on camera. The M40A XML is just getting going at 100 feet.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I may be able to get some beam shots next week of the M40A and Neutron. At distance greater than about 100 feet, I'm guessing the Neutron will not even show up on camera. The M40A XML is just getting going at 100 feet.

Looking forward to those pictures :thumbsup: Thanks a lot