Multi-purpose flashlight

blazin247

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm in law enforcement and I'm in the market for a new flashlight. I have read a a lot of reviews on flashlights that fit most of my needs, but was looking for a general consensus before I pulled the trigger. Basically my needs are a smaller sized flashlight with a tail click that offers momentary on AND steady on. Something small enough that it could be used in the off hand simultaneously with a firearm in the strong hand, but large/powerful enough that it is useful in long range target identification. Lastly, the budget is around $60. I usually use Streamlight, but I feel like this is my first "real flashlight" purchase and I'm kind of excited. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Flashlights I've pondered are the Jetstream BC-10, Fenix TK-12 R5, and one of the Quark's (forget the model).

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Around $60.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

Not important.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Holster

yliu

Enlightened
:welcome:
I think the 2 CR123 size would fit you best. If you want maximum throw and don't mid sacrificing some lumens you should look at XRE lights, somewhat balanced throw/performance would be XPG lights. XML lights will not give you a very intensive beam, but they are very bright and great for medium distances.

150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

The Jetbeam RRT-1, RRT-15, Olight M3X, M20/21 etc. all seems good throwers if you don't mind the bigger reflector and in some models, longer body due to the 1 extra cell.

I have the Fenix TK12 R5, and it throws 150 no problem (although doesn't throw as far as the ones listed above), and quality is great. I also have the JetBema PA40 which is very bright, with very nice beam pattern (excellent for midrange use) and from what I know, the TK21 has the same sized reflector except the TK21's is smooth and the PA40 is OP and same LED, so it should also have roughly the same throw.

Most if these lights will cost you more than 60 dollar, but you get what you paid for. If you want better ones you have to pay more. Surefire is another story, they are made in the USA and used by the army, and people in law enforcement etc. so they might be more reliable, better built, well though out for their propose. Of course for a lot more money.

I'd say you can get the bast value from Chinese companies, but if you really want a super reliable light go for Surefire.

Again these are only my thoughts, others might disagree, or some information could be wrong. My suggestion is to research, you might/probably not find the "perfect" torch, so you will have to sacrifice some things (weight, price, performance, looks etc...)

Talking about quality, the simpler the light is, the less likely it's going to fail. Something like a Surefire P6, would count as a very simple one.

blazin247

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
The Jetbeam RRT-1, RRT-15, Olight M3X, M20/21 etc. all seems good throwers if you don't mind the bigger reflector and in some models, longer body due to the 1 extra cell.

Talking about quality, the simpler the light is, the less likely it's going to fail. Something like a Surefire P6, would count as a very simple one.

Thank you for the response. I looked at the Jetbeam's you listed, they look great and have great reviews, but as you guessed, are out of the range I want to spend. And man, that Olight M20 is exactly what I want. Would the game change much if I said $80? I have a tendency to get addicted to buying the best of the best (firearms, electronics, etc), so I really want to make sure that I keep a level head here when buying my first flashlight. Chances are it's going to get soaked, pounded on the ground, and eventually lost anyhow. We are provided Streamlight's at work so there isn't a point in buying a Surefire.

How do you like the TK-12 R5? Would you buy it again, or is there something like it that is comparable in price but performs better? That's why I was looking at the BC-10 or the Quark 123 Tactical. Thanks again.

swan

Banned
As a guide, a 2 x cr123 6 inch light with a 35mm head will have longer runtimes and better throw than a 4" single cr123 with 25mm head. So i guess for $60 the tk 12 would be hard to beat. I have a few different size lights including the bc 10 which for its size, is very powerful. Welcome to cpf-marty

blazin247

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I ended up going with the BC-10 and a pack of 12 CR123A's. I'm sure it will be the first purchase of many.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Hi Blazin247,

I'm am also in law enforcement. The last 5 Years I made a project about tactical lights for the cops in the street.
Last 2 years the TK12 was our favorite, because it could be switched to strobe and it would stay in that mode when the light was shut off.
Now we have a new model. The Sunwaymen T20C, but slidly modified.
438 lumens, and about the same price as the TK12 (or cheaper)
There is NO strike bessel, it can tail stand, and the electronics are modified to startup in strobe always.
So under stress we don't have to fumble around looking for the right mode. Now, You have to click twice to get it in high, mid or low range.
When You want to read a drivers license You have all the time you want to switch thru the modes.

Keep in mind that in Holland our law's can be different then in other countries.