Need a Gun-light

POLIZEI

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I need a light for my handgun.
It is a old Sig 225 so it has no rails and I can not "instal" one to the frame.

So the only choice I have is a light mounted to the base-plate of the magazin.
This works ok but the 6P is a little too large for carring it all the time.

I tought now....like a neewbee how I am.....that I may could mount a E1 to the mag.

What would you E1 owners say ?
Dos it has enough output to make target ID posible in a dark apartment ?
Or at short range (5 yards) on the street ?
I know it will not be a fazer like blinder but better a small light then non.

Thanks for your help.

nihraguk

Enlightened
the current weaponlights manufactured by surefire are mounted on a rail, which is in turn mounted on the trigger guard of a pistol that does not have an intergrated rail on its frame, so that might be the most ideal solution for you. mounting a light on the base plate of the magazine would not be wise, since you would lose the light should you need to reload
smile.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a gunsmith company that can mount a small plate to the dustcover that will allow one to mount a Surefire light. One good point to this system is one does not need to change holsters to accommodate a rail. Just pop the light off and reholster.

It seems the pistol light that is getting all the attention lately is the M3 from Insight technology. Streamlight sells the same light under there products.

FYI. Insight and Streamlight co-developed this light and Insight got to sell them first.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want a handheld i'd recommend a G2Z.

if you want a gun mounted i'd look into the adapters/plate mentioned above and get a streamlight M3. it's light, durable and quick on/off.

avoid the surefires, they are heavy, bulky, overpriced and not quick on/off. their claim to fame was mounting to the rail will cause malfunctions blah blah. then streamlight M3 showed up and kicked their butts so sf changed their tune and now offer a rail only.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:avoid the surefires, they are heavy, bulky, overpriced and not quick on/off.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not to push SF products but they do sell a Nitrolon pistol light and costs a lot less than the Alum light. I think it is a P-111 model number or maybe N-111.

Tombeis

Enlightened
I was going to mount a Streamlight M6 on a HK Tactical pistol. Had the light and a GG&G adapter ordered.

I got a chance to see the M6 at a gun store and check out the beam.

I don't believe it compares to a Surefire P60 lamp and looked spotty on a wall about twenty feet away.

I canceled the order.

My opinion only, check it out before you buy.

POLIZEI

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so far for the hints but this is the stuff I allready figured out.

I can´t mount a light to the gun cause it will not fit into my Duty-holster then.

I can´t mount a rail to the gun cause it is department issue and they would
twak.gif

me a lot for it.

So I can hold a light in my weak hand, my scorpion works fine for that....

...or I try a mag-mounted light...

...and here the Scorpion is to large and I am looking at the E1...

nihraguk

Enlightened
if that's the case then i think the E1 or E1e would be most ideal, since it would fit just nicely under the mag base plate. the clip bracket on the E1e/E2e can be used to attach it to a mount securely. i recall reading that someone has actually mounted an E1e or E2e to a bicycle as a headlight. the output may not be on par with a 2 cell surefire light, but its still more than the average 2D cell light so it should be sufficient for your needs. it would be best if you could handle the light and see how you like the output before making a decision
smile.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the E1 is to dim imho. surefire They have retro fiting hand gun lights, maybe the sig 226 model will work. It has a clamp type mount that goes to the front of the trigger guard. Good luck.

B@rt

Flashaholic
The E2e is only 3 cm longer and puts out 60 lumens...
If you want shock absorbance and more light for a fraction more length, go for the M2.
Both are more appropriate to the job imho...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the criteria that POLIZEI has stated, the only ideas that come to mind is a Surefire E2e mounted on the mag or use the Surefire pistol light mounted on the trigger guard and buy a Safariland holster that will fit light mounted pistols. I believe the holster models are series 6xxx that have a retention level 3 or 4.

Edit: I see B@rt beat me on the E2e idea.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
I would'n recommend mounting an E1 on a handgun. First of all, it it very dim compared to an 6V SureFire. Second, it is not shock isolated at all. Even the 6P "family" would probably better stand the recoil and normal street abuse than an E1/E2. M2 or Z2 (Z6/6P) with Z32-Bezel would do the job much better.
When it comes to mounting it, i have the same problem than you do
icon3.gif
I searched the marked for the Mag-Adaptor, but the only manufactor I knew, stopped producing
icon13.gif

I help myself for now with an M2 on my duty belt and an M3 with Lanyard in my sap pocket.
If you have any more questions or ideas, please let me know
wink.gif

Holger

POLIZEI

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I guess that I have to stick with my 6P
bluesigh.gif

To my german colleg.

if you dont mind the price I may can help you.
Our HRT/CCT-gunsmith is making baseplates for the Sig 225 and is adding a glock magazin-light-base.

Want one ? But I warn you...they are not cheap