Flashlights for my parents

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Now that the power's been out in their town for a few days my parents agree that they need some reliable flashlights and told me to get them some within reasonable financial bounds. I figure they could use a flashlight at home and one in their car, so two total.

There are a few requirements for this light. It must be reliable so it always works when they need it. It must be a usable size; nothing as large as the Fenix TK70 or small as a key chain light. It must use AA batteries, since it's easiest for laymen like my parents to have excess AA fuel laying around the house. Finally, it must be easy to use -- no complex UIs or hidden modes allowed.

My first thought was the Xeno E03 filled with E91's. It takes any kind of AA fuel, has a simple UI, and judging from the two I have, the E03 is built well and will last a while, though I guess only time will tell about that. It's also relatively inexpensive. I'd still have to decide whether to go warm, neutral, or cool for the LED (I don't own a neutral, but I'll probably get them that). The diffuser wand is a bonus for the E03 because it can serve as an effective area light if the power gets cut.

TL;DR: I need some flashlights for my parents that are reliable, have a simple UI, and are relatively inexpensive. I'm thinking Xeno E03.

If you'd all please, I'd like some feedback on what other options fill the above criteria. Thanks!

firelord777

Enlightened
If aa, try the fenix tk41. If its too expensive try the fenix tk20, 2 aa and i love the tint.

Best wishes firelord777

jds1

Newly Enlightened
I gave my parents and mother-in-law both Fenix E21's for reasons similar to your criteria.

Jeff

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies! Those are all great lights. Here's my thoughts on them:

TK20: I want one for myself, but it takes CR123A batteries. If my parents run out of batteries they will not have any spares.
E21: A bit larger than I envisioned, but that might be a good thing. The UI has me wondering if my parents will forget about the head and just use the clicky.
ZL: I carry an SC51 every day, but the UI is too complicated for this purpose.

Might have to buy myself an E21 and check it out. Lithiums in an E21 sound like a great disaster light, long life batteries and a long run time light.

EDIT: Will look into the Duracell as well. Thanks!

Any further recommendations are appreciated!

fishx65

Enlightened
My parents are in their 70's and I have found that I needed to give them a ton of flashlights so they could always find one. If they only had two, they would never be able to find one when needed the most. I must have 10-15 lights scattered around their house. Most of them are lights I picked up during Target sales that use AA's or AAA's and are pretty decent. My Dad's favorite lights are the 3aaa Dorcy's with side switches. I'll check them once in a while to make sure all the batteries are good.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I got my folks the ICON Rogue I Black (Dad) and II Silver (Mom). They are dual output and run on AAs. Easy operartion big tailcap button and UI. I got mine a Radio Shack on sale for a great price. You might want to see the Good Deal Thread they might be on sale somewhere. Buy a big pack of batteries at Costco, Target or WallyMart. I ocassionally check the voltage when I visit them to make sure the batteries are still good.

firelord777

Enlightened
Umm, sir, the Fenix TK20 is a 2 AA thrower. 2 modes, 45 and 150 lumens. I have it, and it is fantastic. $50. For $30 i would get the e21, its like 150 lumens, and it is watwrproof

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I just went through the exact same thing last month my dad fell in love with my 4/7 quark aa, so I replaced every light in their house. They got:
Fenix HL21 headlamp (my dad keeps it in his golvebox great to have hands free light if roadside repair is needed, and will use it this fall to hunt with for climbing in and out of tree stands)
Fenix LD40 for the bedroom (4 energizer lithiums really good runtimes for a aa light) (they live on a small farm and needed some throw)
iTp EOS A3 for moms keys
4/7 Quark Tactical 2xAA is in the kitchen (one thing about the tactical is the ability to choose 2 outputs and hide all the otheres great for non falshaholics)

Burgess

Flashaholic
to WhiteOakJoe --

Sounds like a good selection !

BTW -- which 2 light levels did you program for their 47's Quark Tactical AAx2 ? ? ?

Just curious.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD10s, Quark AA's, maybe some Quark AA2's for more power. And the last is a lot harder to lose, while the first two can be shoved into pockets, purses, or coats easily.

For the more 'traditional' big flashlight that runs AA's, I second the LD40. I love mine and it has a lovely tint outside with good throw. Plus, it should remind them of the old Mags they may have used... but better.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
to WhiteOakJoe --

Sounds like a good selection !

BTW -- which 2 light levels did you program for their 47's Quark Tactical AAx2 ? ? ?

Just curious.

I set it to the low and the turbo. I had mine set this way when my dad played with it and he liked that so that's what he got...
I now it's a pretty big list but when you get to your 40's and look back at everything they did for you - if they ask for something you go a step beyond for your parents.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Actually the Xeno E03 is a good choice, always start at medium mode which is what a non flashaholic needs.

vali

Enlightened
Any recent 2xAA LED with simple UI will be good. I was in the same situation recently. Opted for a Jetbeam BA20 against Fenix E21 just because I consider the low mode bright enough for most task and will last more.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad loves his neutral E03. I think neutral is probably the way to go, it's definitely easiest on the eyes. Only disadvantage is the size is a little small, a bit too easy to misplace. Thankfully, my dad still has a quick mind, so that hasn't been a problem. If your parents are getting prone to forgetfulness, you'll want something larger and easier to keep track of. Maybe a 2xAA. Sunwayman is coming out with an R20A that looks promising.

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
Update: I ordered and received two E03's from Tacticalhid, one cool white and one neutral white, each with a diffuser. I figured my parents can have both cool and neutral and see which they like best. I also got, based on jds' and firelord's recommendations in this thread, a Fenix E21. I don't own this light myself, but I respect the opinions here and it does fit the bill well: 2xAA, long runtime, easy to use, and Fenix has a good rep. I ordered this from GoingGear along with the short Fenix diffuser.

Hopefully this combo of lights will serve my parents well and they'll have a bright, reliable flashlight at hand when they need one.

Thanks to all the advice. It helped, even if I didn't take it for this purchase. This community rocks.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like some good choices, I'm sure your parents will appreciate the effort you put into this for them :thumbsup:

Samy

Enlightened
I'd be getting them a Fenix E01 or similar cheap but bombproof keyring light. My mum always loses stuff like flashlights so having a light on her set of car keys means she will never lose her light... unless she loses the car keys. I got my dad a 4 Sevens 2xAA Quark which he loves to death. The E01 is the most used, because it's always there.

cheers

John Spartan

Newly Enlightened
My elderly mother likes the the 2 D-cell Mag lite - simple to operate and she likes the fact she can use it as a club, if necessary. I also made sure she had enough spare D-cells, just in case.