Recommend a LED Surefire P60 Replacement Please

H. neanderthalensis

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to flashlights. I started with a 6P that was issued while in the USMC. It was busted and sat in a box of junk for about six years before I found it again and decided to get it up and running.

It has a P60L assembly at 80 lumens, which is plenty of light for my needs. However, I see that relatively new Surefires are running 120 lumens and up, so I feel as if I'm falling behind.

I considered a KX4 bezel, but they are pricey. The P60L was about $40, which I thought was expensive, and the KX4 is going for around $75.

I'm looking for something more affordable between 100-200 lumens and has a decent runtime (around six hours minimum).

Does such a thing exist?

Can anyone give some suggestions?

Thanks.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M61L/M61wl. Only downside is cost, they're about 69-75 dollars. I suggest getting a warm model. It's whiter than a surefire Incan on fresh batteries, and doesn't wash out colors like a cool white LED. The non-warm has slightly higher output than the warm, and is less blue than the P60l so that would be fine if you're okay with regular white LED light. It's 5 hours at 100% output with a long taper as the batterys die down. Total runtime is longer than 6 hours. They're expensive, but IMO the quality is superior to surefire, it's an american made product, and Malkoff is about the only company catering to long runtime P60 dropins.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest first getting a couple of inexpensive modules before committing to anything pricey. No doubt a Malkoff is a fine product, but suggesting it as a first light to experiment with is asking a lot. Like when asking what the best car is when learning to drive, people don't suggest Ferrari. There are so many options out there. Tint, brightness, multi or single mode, emitter, beam width. Try an inexpensive XP-G R5 module, maybe you'll like it enough to keep but then you'll have something to compare like if you want more flood, go with the XM-L or if you don't like the tint you can change your mind.

Viper715

Enlightened
You can pick up a KX4 for around $45. I second the Malkoff M61's your choice of brightness and color temp. If price is of concern check out Nailbenders Custom Lites drop ins choice of led driver etc and very reasonable pricing from $25-$50.

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nailbender SST-50 NW for my 6P and I reeeealy like it. That said, I also bought a generic Lighthound drop-in for 18 dollars for use in my C2 (though I think I'm switching back to the incan P61). The output was brighter than the original LED in my 6P and the beam profile is decent for the price. I would recommend it as a good budget drop-in.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthoun...for-SureFire-and-other-Flashlights_p_965.html

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, my bias against multimode lights just made me totally forget that there's a TON of cheap, 3 or 5 mode LED dropins that will give you both long runtimes and high output. The lower modes will give you the runtime you're looking for, medium level on an XPG r5 is probably close to 5 or 6 hours, on an XML you'll probably want the low. I suggest shopping around Lighthound.com, lots of multimode XPG-R5's around 250+ lumens and XML's with 400+ lumens (these will have a wider beam) They also have a Nailbender 3 mode with neutral white XML, it's 56 bucks but I think the neutral white tint is well worth it. http://www.lighthound.com/Bulbs_c_46.html

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I'm pretty thrilled with the 3 mode Manafont/Ultrafire XML dropin I purchased about 6 months ago. Great combination of throw and spill and really really bright on high. Modes are spaced out very nicely. Great sub $20.00 dropin. Gonna order me a few more when I get a chance.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can personally recommend the XM-L drop-in from Thrunite...awesome beam and way more light than you are no doubt used to, though I cannot confirm run times as I use rechargeables.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I found an old thread, but I think its still valid. Should I upgrade my old P60 lamp to a malkoff? Does anyone else make some nice powerful drop ins that wont burn out from getting too hot? I saw some Sportac but I am unfamiliar.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an old thread, but I think its still valid. Should I upgrade my old P60 lamp to a malkoff? Does anyone else make some nice powerful drop ins that wont burn out from getting too hot? I saw some Sportac but I am unfamiliar.

I've been using Malkoff's since 2008, initially in my SureFire's (6/9P's, G2/3's, and Z2/G2Z's) and Maglite's.

For my money there is nothing better then Malkoff, but I use my flashlights for work and with CCW's, not for play.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
T
The Sportac are high output so therefore get hotter, although they do have dual output versions.

I have both makes and prefer the Malkoff's.

Decide what you want to use it for and then select the suitable amount of lumens you require, they range from 100 lumens in the M61LL to 850 lumens in the M61 SHO. They will run on a single 16650 battery which will fit an unbored 6P.

The selection available are

M61LL 100 lumens
M61L 230 lumens
M61 450 lumens
M61 SHO 825 lumens
M361 LMH 20/100/500 lumens

All the above will also work with 2 x CR123's, different tints are also available, neutral or warm on some of them.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For turbo output Sportac is fine.

For a lifetime of upgraded output the Malkoff N series is hard to beat. You get a very similar look as the 6P with new batteries.

If you prefer the look of the P60 beam after a while on CR123's as they run down the W series is great too.

The M61NL is very popular because you get like 3x the output of a P60 with at least 5x the runtime.

My first Malkoff was an M61WLL because it was bright like a P60 but had the tint of 30 minute old batteries. I went with an NL next and never looked back.

1996alnl2

Newly Enlightened
M61NL, that is one drop in that I haven't ordered from Gene, I did get a M61WL to accomodate my old 6P host.. and I am blown away with the runtimes. Will go hours on a 16650 cell. Draws hardly anything and it puts out the perfect (200Lumens) amount of light for close up tasks. Love the warm tint too.

However I do find myself buying more and more lights with a neutral tint over the last few years.
I think I'll look into Gene's "N" series drop ins and pick up a couple of them.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
This is all great information! Makes me thing I should get some newer Malkoff drop ins. I have a couple of lights still that can take P60 type drop ins.

808vudoo

Enlightened
Hey gang, got a few drop-ins left from previous runs that never got posted. One offs, prototypes, single, double, triple and quad leds. One channel, two channel and various programmable modes. Prices range from 38.00-165.00 Will put together a sales post in the next few days. Big Aloha, D
IMG_1361.jpeg