My experience so far (VERY positive) and a THANKS to this forum.

mikemcnair

Newly Enlightened
SOOOO, long time reader, first time poster.

i absolutely love this forum, and although i get made fun of for being on it all the time, people are jealous of the lights i have acquired via suggestions of this forum.

first, i got a Romisen RC-C6 from Shiningbeam and it was so remarkable, i had to buy a second!!!

well, then a LEO friend of mine had a B-Day coming up, sooooo, i ordered 2 (one for him and one for me :) ) MG -P Rocket XP-G (450 lumen, smooth reflector version)

so, i have some awesome lights, and i wanted to thank all of you for the advice, good write ups, GREAT reviews, etc.

so, thank you all for all of your help!!!

i am a watchsmith, and a gunsmith, a mechanic, and a carpenter. if i can give back to the forum in any way, please please please, ask, i will gladly help in any way possible!

up next, the 850 lumen MG-P Rocket, which i think i wil put my smooth reflector on (cause it comes with a hanfe OP half smooth reflector, and i am a THROW whore)

tell me if i'm crazy.

my biggest things i like are the following:

SUPER INSANE THROW: with a small PILL, and little to no bleed

SMALL: i prefer 1 cell (CR123) lights, but am not opposed to 2 cell's)

NO RECHARGABLES, i will burn up batteries, i don't care, since Bryan at shiningbeam has the CR123 for 1.49 or some number like that, so every order i always throw 5 or 6 in on it :)

so, in summary, HELLO! and THANKS! and what are your thoughts on what i like, have bought, and am looking to buy?

thanks guys!

Michael

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, Michael, and welcome to CPF,
Man have you got it bad :). Well, there's no turning back now. Considering your other passions, I'm not surprised that you like flashlights, but I will be surprised if you don't quickly gravitate toward the modder's forum.

A man with your skills will no doubt find tinkering with your own creations to be highly satisfying, and it wouldn't be the first time we had somebody come on this forum and quickly become one of it's premier and mostly highly sought after manufacturers (can anybody say "Malkoff"):
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

It was only a few years ago that he came on here (just like you) and got the bug, and pretty soon he was showing us his new drop-ins. Then he made a few for friends, and then a few more, and then pretty soon the demand became over whelming and he got a website, and some equipment, and well....... the rest is history.

But, even if you don't go that path, Michael, we're happy to have you (and your enthusiasm) here.

Have fun!

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Michael! :)

You and your $$ are DOOOOOMED lol.

As Derek says, your skills will probably soon take you to the H&M section, and may also be very useful in the MMM section here - take a look there when you have time.

mikemcnair

Newly Enlightened
funny you should say, because only 8 months after joining a watch form, i became the ONLY US based repair person listed on the forum. im a nut, i know it. thus my inquiry ;)

ill have a look, but if anyone has suggestions in the meantime i am all ears.

tygger

Enlightened
NO RECHARGABLES, i will burn up batteries, i don't care, since Bryan at shiningbeam has the CR123 for 1.49 or some number like that, so every order i always throw 5 or 6 in on it :)

If you prefer high output throwers, why limit yourself to the relatively low discharge rate of primaries? IMR 16340/18650's would open you up to a whole new world. Oh, and welcome to CPF!

Acid87

Enlightened
tygger said:
If you prefer high output throwers, why limit yourself to the relatively low discharge rate of primaries? IMR 16340/18650's would open you up to a whole new world. Oh, and welcome to CPF!

Probably similar to me heard all the horror stories and can't be bothered remembering what batteries where charged when and at what rate etc etc.

Welcome to CPF bud.

Acid87

Enlightened
Add to that the Solarforce Masterpiece pro 1 that is a demon thrower actually amazing how far this throws. Or failing that get building on a M@glite ROP also awesome output from that.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
+1 to that. With your work experience the ins and outs of rechargables should be a snap for you to learn and the rewards are truely more than icing on the cake. Will be interested to see what you get up to as your interest grows.:welcome:

mikemcnair

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the warm welcomes and awesome suggestions!!

i have been into RC car for MANY years, have built some of the fastest in the world, have been sponsored by RC companies, and have designed some pretty slick stuff.

why you may ask do i say this? one word.... LiPo!!!!

oh, and Acid: i am going to look up the Mag ROP you speak of, but they are BIG if its the light i am thinking of, and i need a pocket-able EDC.

thanks guys!!!
is anyone using LiPo in these throwers yet? due to their size and light weight, i would love a LiPo powered EDC thrower.

i am all ears if anyone has a suggestion.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Hi Mike,

I've been a confirmed "flashoholic" for about a year now. I've got quite a collection of personal lights. But I have to say, one of the best things about flashlights is giving them as gifts. In the past year I have gifted close to a hundred lights. Most of them were the iTP EOS A3 XP-G R5, which is a small keychain light that has 3 modes and uses one AAA battery. This thing is inexpensive (less than $20) and it pumps out almost 100 lumens. So, if you're looking to really enjoy this hobby, then start giving. You'll find the iTP A3 makes a terrific gift to ANYONE, any age, any gender - everyone loves the light.

Good luck!

Dave in RI

-

ebnub

Newly Enlightened
Too much of a newbie to understand the acronyms I think, but what is "MG -P Rocket XP-G" ??

mikemcnair

Newly Enlightened
Agreed on the gift idea!!! I gave my father a shiningbeam.com RC-C6 modded, and he loves it!!

As for MG P-Rocket, it is a brand (2 cell cr123, 430 lumen light) that Bryan at shiningbeam.com sells, and my LEO buddy has made it his EDC, so I had to have one for myself! (I gave that as a gift to him for his B-Day ;) )

Latest posts