Fenix TA21

jcalvert

Enlightened
Calling all experienced modders.

My first higher end light from over a year ago was a Fenix TA21 (XRE-Q5) and for both sentimental reasons and that the fact this light is so well-made, I'm hoping to upgrade the emitter to maybe a neutral-tinted XP-G R4 or maybe an XM-L T4.

Can the the pil on this light even be accessed for an emitter swap? Thank to all in advance who would be kind enough to reply.

All the best,
John

andi15

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i would not swap the emitter, the TA21 has a nice concentratet spot. You will not get the same results with an XM-L or XP-G.

I thought about changing the emitter, too.
But I think woul it become too floody with an XP-G or XM-L.
You can put in a reflector with a diameter of only about 25mm

Greetings from Germany

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi,

i would not swap the emitter, the TA21 has a nice concentratet spot. You will not get the same results with an XM-L or XP-G.

I thought about changing the emitter, too.
But I think woul it become too floody with an XP-G or XM-L.
You can put in a reflector with a diameter of only about 25mm

Greetings from Germany

Hello andi,

Thank you for your response! The TA21 is a very nice tight spot thrower. However, the reason I would like a swap of the TA21's emitter is because it is too tight for my taste. I have other dedicated tight spot lights and I would like to improve the beam to a broader hotspot and spill. The XPG-R4 would be great as a balanced beam with a more neutral tint, and would take advantage of the TA21's lower lumen levels by spreading the beam more broadly for close range tasks.

All the best,
John