How important to you is Anti-Roll in a flashlight?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

Im working on the final stages of my AAA prototype and wanted to find out if Anti-Roll was important?
Personally, its not a big deal either way for me, but wanted to be sure I didn't leave anything important out as it can easily be handled by adjusting the external body design.

Thanks for your support,
tgwnn

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an HDS Rotary and it's a great light but it drives me nuts that it will drop test itself if I set it on its side on a table or nightstand. I've put a little piece of paracord around the light but I wish it had a clip or a flat surface to stop the roll. We all complained so much about the huge clip on Henry's earlier lights that he seems to have gone in the other direction with his latest designs.

Anti-roll is something I've come to expect and appreciate in a small light.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
A clip will suffice, as has been noted. It certainly doesn't have to have squared corners, but something to deter rolling is appreciated. I have seen some flashlights that are balanced better than the tires on my car, and the moment you set them down, they're off and rolling. That's when you want to grab the designer by the back of the neck and say, "Look! You mean to tell me you never noticed this? Is this part of the design?" :whoopin:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for the feedback.
Seems to be important enough.
As Im considering a removable clip, I'll make it roll-proof with or without.

tgwnn

Samy

Enlightened
I never gave it any thought and used mine without a clip but it kept rolling off my nightstand so it's now clipped!

Cheers

Craig K

Enlightened
Hey the_guy_with_no_name how long before we will see some pictures of this AAA light?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a big problem either, but most of the lights i buy have built-in anti-roll design like hexagonal bezel, a clip or non round-shaped body

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
How about a short hangman's noose lanyard like I use
010.JPG
That'll keep the light from rolling, even if it's perfectly round.
Lenny

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just set the light in a nightstand bezel down? Then it can't roll.

My experience with that technique is that you knock the light over reaching for it in the dark and then the light rolls off the nightstand to parts unknown under the bed. Then you reach for the next light on the nightstand to find the first light.

Napalm

Enlightened
That would be pretty cool - what are those?

You don't want to know.

They're $89 a pop and you'll want to collect all the available versions, in aluminum, stainless, titanium, brushed, beaded, shiny or HA, XR-E, XP-E, XP-G, X-ML, cool, neutral, warm, solid or with split/rotating head etc.

Nap. :broke:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
You don't want to know.

They're $89 a pop and you'll want to collect all the available versions, in aluminum, stainless, titanium, brushed, beaded, shiny or HA, XR-E, XP-E, XP-G, X-ML, cool, neutral, warm, solid or with split/rotating head etc.

Nap. :broke:

You of course realize that only makes me want to know even more.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with that technique is that you knock the light over reaching for it in the dark and then the light rolls off the nightstand to parts unknown under the bed. Then you reach for the next light on the nightstand to find the first light.

:crackup:I suppose you are right about that.