Which is brighter Blaster VI,,Surefire L4,,TL3

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ummm.. i'm gonna guess.. the blaster.. the tl3.. then the l4?

i really don't know 'cause these lights are outta my class.. but i believe if that order's correct, the l4 still has more useful light than the tl3..???

*i dunno what i'm talking about.. consider me just upping your post!*

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take a guess!
I would say the Blaster VI in that it runs the LED slightly over spec with fresh batteries and has a much better optic. Number #2 is a toss up, the TL3 might start brighter with more current to the LED and a larger optic. If the TL3 is getting regulation, then I would say it is number #2. The L4 is more of a flood so if you need that, it would be the one to get.
Saying that, I have a M*g 5D with a 5W Cyan using the 30mm optic and it is very bright! I would assume the Blaster VI is along the same lines.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got a Blaster VI direct drive and an L4, the Blaster VI is way brighter than the L4, but then again, it's 9 volts vs 6 volts with a better optic.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I have all three and my B6 is definitely the brightest (even before I removed all traces of resistance).

The other two -- what Bent said. The SL is definitely brighter in the lux meter sense as it throws a tighter spot, but the L4 is putting out just as much (and posiibly more) light except in a semiflood beam. If you need both light output patterns you already know what to do:
"Buy'em both!"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
When I measured the TL-3, L4 and McModule for total output Indirect light) I got these figures (For relative measure only)

McM.....L4.......TL-3

I believe these are proportionally fairly accurate and I'd like to see them confirmed by Doug's figures but I don't thnk he has them all. The McModule and L4 are roughly even and the TL-3's total output is about 26% less than the L4. At first that seemed counterintuitive when I tested them side by side in rural Canada this Summer. The TL-3 threw an impressive beam but I realized that there wasn't much peripheral light, and when I expanded the beam to very crudely match the L4's diameter it seemed quite weak.

I didn't measure the Blaster VI, though I would tend to agree with the opinions here.

Brightnorm

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone have both the SNII and a Blaster VI who can give me some more details on which they like better and why?

I'm looking for a 5W with the most throw...

hula

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Blaster VI and SNII Chris and I'm glad I do. I will say though the SNII has a superior throw than the Blaster. The Mag reflector really concentrates that 5W-er. The Blaster VI is slightly bulkier than the SNII though it IS superior in quality to the Mag body. I also have a PM6 Module which I would say is probably near to these two in terms of throw and brighness - but not quite. 9v direct is probably the best bang for your buck so the L4 and Tl3 don't quite compare to the SNII and Blaster.
If I had to choose I'd go SNII - there I said it!

Hula.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks hula...
Now, overall, how does the throw of a SNII compare with a PM6? I understand that the throw of the SNII will be longer than the PM6, but by how much? How close is the PM6 in terms of throw?

I might be willing to give up a LITTLE throw in exchange for the EDC ability of the PM6.

hula

Newly Enlightened
Keithhr is right Chris the PM6 in module form is short of the SNII but you gotta remember that Mag head coupled with a 9v direct driven Luxeon is the key. I would have thought ( and i'm finding this ) the EDC readiness of the PM6 or indeed a L4 make up for their not being the absolute brightest or furthest LED throwers there are. I'm amazed when I turn on me PM6 Module at the level of light this thing can emit and yes it'll give ya that lightsaber look. If you can pick up a CHEAP PM6 then the mod is worth it - don't forget to change the cheap lens it comes with to an UCL or similar.
You will have to talk nicely to Mr. Bulk if you want a Space Needle II as they are no longer officially available. Charlie is a great guy to deal with if you go after the best.

Hula.