ArmyTek        
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1495

Thread: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Default Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Just had a flick through the last few pages, though the thread is far too long to read in its entirety. I've been following your emails and I'm another one eagerly anticipating this light so in case you need an idea of numbers, I'm in for one from what I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hotwiremod View Post
    Just had a flick through the last few pages, though the thread is far too long to read in its entirety. I've been following your emails and I'm another one eagerly anticipating this light so in case you need an idea of numbers, I'm in for one from what I've seen so far.
    Thanks for following and welcome to the thread
    Appreciate your post!

tgwnn

Guy-san,

I'm so excited about the Torpedo I could plotz...

I'd like to make sure I understand how it will perform if used with non li-ion batteries - 200lm max whether alkaline, nimh or lithium, or will there be different max outputs depending on the type?

You can definitely count me in for one and a couple of the 10440s.

Domo Arrigato Goziemashita,
    Katzu

Quote Originally Posted by dmkatz76 View Post
    Guy-san,

I'm so excited about the Torpedo I could plotz...

I'd like to make sure I understand how it will perform if used with non li-ion batteries - 200lm max whether alkaline, nimh or lithium, or will there be different max outputs depending on the type?

You can definitely count me in for one and a couple of the 10440s.

Domo Arrigato Goziemashita,
    Katzu
    Hi Katzu,

thanks for the post and plotzing

for non li-ion, max will be 200lm depending on voltage & capacity.

if the 1.5V battery can deliver >1.1V on high=200lm
    if the 1.5V battery can not deliver >1.1V on high=100lm (same as mode 3)

this is so non-flashaholics can use it safely even if they put alkalines in it.
    if you use a 1.5V lithium primary or nimh, 200lm should be feasible,
    and of course on li-ion's you well see sunlight!

I purchased some AAA's yesterday for comparison photos,
    1x maglite solitaire that boasts a whopping 2 lumens and
    1x fenix E01 boasting 10 lumens...

I think the guys at the store might get a shock if they switch on the torpedo

tgwnn

Flashaholic

Any idea on how the beamshape will be?
    Preon Stealth Black

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    I purchased some AAA's yesterday for comparison photos,
    1x maglite solitaire that boasts a whopping 2 lumens and
    1x fenix E01 boasting 10 lumens...

I think the guys at the store might get a shock if they switch on the torpedo

tgwnn
    Hi Guy,
    It looks like I am not the only one who uses Maglites as a reference light
    When I get my first Torpedo and review it, I will include a Solitare in there for reference().
    GL

I think that any hobby charger like iMax B6 is safe for charging 10440 and even 10250's. It has minimum charging current 0.1A and it's ok for IMR 80mah cell.

Regarding numbers I'm happy to comit to one plus battery/s assuming your prepared to sell overseas. Too much cool factor not to be involved.
    Are you looking to develop to prefection or place it on the market followed by a mk II. I'd suggest the later for practical resons. Perfection is difficult and you'll never please everyone.
    Seriously looking forward to handling your torch. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HighLumens View Post
    Any idea on how the beamshape will be?
    HighLumens,
    The beam will be floody due to the small size of the reflector,
    and using an OP reflector so there are no artifacts in the beam.

I need to wait for the first proto with reflector to be completed to give you more detail than that,
    and then of course, I'll post some images

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Hi Guy,
    It looks like I am not the only one who uses Maglites as a reference light
    When I get my first Torpedo and review it, I will include a Solitare in there for reference().
    GL
    For only 2 lumens, the solitaire is a nice little tool, with a familiar color and beam that brings back memories of how it used to be before leds became mainstream. A safe light for kids, who enjoy playing with the focus and seeing the shapes it makes on the wall. Works well in total darkness

Quote Originally Posted by subiya View Post
    Regarding numbers I'm happy to comit to one plus battery/s assuming your prepared to sell overseas. Too much cool factor not to be involved.
    Are you looking to develop to prefection or place it on the market followed by a mk II. I'd suggest the later for practical resons. Perfection is difficult and you'll never please everyone.
    Seriously looking forward to handling your torch. Cheers
    Thanks subiya
    Overseas is no problem. If there is a postal service in your country, we can send it to you.
    Of course, Im aiming for perfection but I do believe that perfection is a journey, and the destination changes with time and according to needs of passengers.
    My goals are simple..... quality, function, aesthetics, uniqueness, fun
    ...as you said, everyone has different perceptions of these as well as differing needs but as long as version 1 functions according to spec, and meets the quality level, then it will be available.

tgwnn

p.s. thanks for all the discussion/feedback on chargers

Auto-step-down confirmed!

I received confirmation today that we can get the driver to auto-step-down to the next lowest mode when the battery is low, for the version 1 driver.
    Very good news!

Expecting the driver proto to be ready by the end of the month, and then assembled into the Torpedo shortly after.
    2 versions with both short and long bodies with one of each:
    XM-L T6 5000K
    XM-L T5 4500K

I will post ALL the details of course when they arrive.

10250 samples on-route

I have a package of IMR 10250 batteries on the way as well.
    Should be here within 1 or 2 days.

As mentioned previously, expected capacity is 80mAh and rated at 10C,
    but I do expect the actual capacity will be better than that at lower power output.

I'll be putting them to the test as soon as they are here of course.

tgwnn

Default Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

Setting aside funds for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Setting aside funds for this one.
    Thanks Tixx!

10250's have arrived
    ... and now, to the testing!

tgwnn

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Thanks Tixx!

10250's have arrived
    ... and now, to the testing!

tgwnn
    Oh man this is exciting! I hadn't metioned yet, but I'm in for one of each battery type. I've got to order one of cottenpicker's chargers for that tiny cell. I don't have anything with a low enough minimum charge rate for that cell. I don't even think my hobby charger goes that low.

My hobby charger has lowest charging current 100mA, it's low enough for 80mah IMR cell, becase IMR can handle high charging current.

By the way, I've got Trustfire protected 10440, they are only 290mAh at 200mA discharge. At 1A discharge it falls under 3V almost immediately

About auto step-down: I think that continuosly lowering output is the best technique, and it will avoid possible flickering. Check for TM11 review by selfbuilt about flickering in early samples of TM11:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...of-Pictures%29

By the way, I have Audi car with continuosly variable transmission and it's very good. I like continuos regulation in every device

The freshest 10250's you've ever seen!

Check out the date....

tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by smokelaw1 View Post
    Oh man this is exciting! I hadn't metioned yet, but I'm in for one of each battery type. I've got to order one of cottenpicker's chargers for that tiny cell. I don't have anything with a low enough minimum charge rate for that cell. I don't even think my hobby charger goes that low.
    Thanks smokelaw,
    it is getting exciting. I am very much looking forward to testing the first working proto!!
    (and at the same time, praying that everything is implemented as its meant to be)

Quote Originally Posted by agt View Post

About auto step-down: I think that continuosly lowering output is the best technique, and it will avoid possible flickering.

By the way, I have Audi car with continuosly variable transmission and it's very good. I like continuos regulation in every device
    Thanks agt,
    I'll give it a whirl when the proto is ready and see how it goes.
    btw, I have a CVT as well

tgwnn

Every time I miss this thread for a day or two loads of things happen. Are we any closer to a sale thread.......

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    Every time I miss this thread for a day or two loads of things happen. Are we any closer to a sale thread.......
    Hi Acid,

Definitely closer than when we started
    Currently expecting the working proto's to be completed end of month, and be able to test around 1st week of Dec.
    We may be able to sneak in the first run before the year is out, but that is only if the next proto is up to par and then depends how quickly we can get the volume of components and how soon various suppliers shut down for the new year, etc.
    My Guess:
    30% chance of being able to ship in December
    99% chance of being able to ship in January

Once I confirm the proto and no further changes are required, I'll be putting up the order page with precise timelines and details.

Thanks,
    tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name

Hi Acid,

Definitely closer than when we started
    Currently expecting the working proto's to be completed end of month, and be able to test around 1st week of Dec.
    We may be able to sneak in the first run before the year is out, but that is only if the next proto is up to par and then depends how quickly we can get the volume of components and how soon various suppliers shut down for the new year, etc.
    My Guess:
    30% chance of being able to ship in December
    99% chance of being able to ship in January

Once I confirm the proto and no further changes are required, I'll be putting up the order page with precise timelines and details.

Thanks,
    tgwnn
    We both know I'm buying no matter the time scale.....

Same here, probably the same for most of us I suppose.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Wow ! ! !

Those are certainly the FRESHEST batteries i have EVER seen !

Quote Originally Posted by scottyhazzard View Post
    Same here, probably the same for most of us I suppose.
    Thanks guys, very glad to hear it

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Wow ! ! !

Those are certainly the FRESHEST batteries i have EVER seen !

Planning to run some tests this evening so will post an update on the performance once done.

tgwnn

Flashaholic*

I love the email updates... if you plan on offering/recommending batteries please post that info in the next email update if possible. I have been picky with my li-ion battery purchases in the past (have never tried them in smaller then RCR123 size). If you have found quality cells that are recently manufactured that is great news. I had planned on getting a Torpedo and using my Eneloops which I feel are the best cells in the world, but I'd be interested in buying li-ions for the increased performance. I know I haven't been here long but this project keeps looking better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    I love the email updates... if you plan on offering/recommending batteries please post that info in the next email update if possible. I have been picky with my li-ion battery purchases in the past (have never tried them in smaller then RCR123 size). If you have found quality cells that are recently manufactured that is great news. I had planned on getting a Torpedo and using my Eneloops which I feel are the best cells in the world, but I'd be interested in buying li-ions for the increased performance. I know I haven't been here long but this project keeps looking better and better.
    Thanks TyJo,

Of course, any updates on batteries will be covered in detail in the mail updates.
    Currently busy testing the 10250's and working on a multitude of other small details that need to be addressed in advance of being able to offer the first production run.

>>If you have found quality cells that are recently manufactured...
    You'll have a hard time finding milk that is fresher than these li'l custom beauties

I do think the current 10250's are looking like a good candidate (based on the datasheet) and of course on the low modes, will deliver runtime of several hours, with the ability to handle the higher modes as well (though I need to see how they perform and be sure we can limit the high to 300 lumens).
    The 10440's I have, handled the 500lumen high mode no sweat.

I do have a new battery analyzer arriving in the next day or so, with a heat probe so I can accurately measure the heat at the different power levels just to be extra sure.

All going well, I'm hoping to be able to offer these with the Torpedo.

tgwnn

The 10250's are real!

Just ran a test at 1A and barely warm at all.
    Another one at 500mA in progress and same thing,
    a very good sign!

Once the temp probe version arrives, I may be brave enough to test at 1.4A,
    mainly wanting to check for voltage drop and heat under stress, then capacity.

tgwnn

Ok, so once these become ready, can there be a list of batteries and compatible cottonpicker chargers available? I just don't want to mess things up when finally getting in on this. I'm not a big rechargeable guy and only make exceptions in situations like this project. It is too cool to pass up!

i'd love to get a Ti version

Quote Originally Posted by Tixx View Post
    Ok, so once these become ready, can there be a list of batteries and compatible cottonpicker chargers available? I just don't want to mess things up when finally getting in on this. I'm not a big rechargeable guy and only make exceptions in situations like this project. It is too cool to pass up!
    Hi Tixx,
    Regarding compatible batteries, absolutely.
    I will have a list of compatible and recommended batteries.
    Regarding the chargers, yes to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jalal20 View Post
    i'd love to get a Ti version
    Thanks for the post.
    Not sure if that will happen, mainly due to the need to dissipate heat in a small package and Al is far better at that.
    Anything is possible though.....so perhaps in a future version

tgwnn

Based on successful testing of the 10280's, is it possible that you can push that 300 Lumen figure a bit higher based on higher load testing?
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Based on successful testing of the 10280's, is it possible that you can push that 300 Lumen figure a bit higher based on higher load testing?
    Hi BVH,

Its possible and thats part of my concern

Because the cells Im testing just seem to eat up the load, my guess is that they will stand up to the 500 lumen output.
    The way the current driver is designed, we are detecting voltage sag (in case you put in a standard li-ion), to drop the output down to 300 lumens, but the cells had no problem with 1A so my guess is they will probably not sag, even under 1.4A.

My new analyzer arrived this morning so I will run some more tests again this evening.

The one thing to keep in mind is runtime will be very short at 1.4A
    At 1A, it was just short of 4min (though I didn't check if the battery was topped up before testing)

tgwnn

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast