500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 2

After nearly 1500 replies to this thread, We'll close this one to create a new one.

#Important: The MBI Torpedo is still in the planning stage - currently verifying feasibility of all features and planned settings.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone's great feedback,
here is the concept/design of the new AAA flashlight Im planning to make.

it comes with 1 head & 2 bodies

1st body = AAA size
2nd body = 10280 size

Power Supply: 1V~5V
This will run on anything that fits
1.5V AAA
Li-Ion 10440, 10450
Li-Ion 10280

Size:
with AAA Body = 65mm Long, 14mm diameter
with 10280 Body = 47.5mm Long, 14mm diameter

MBI-Torpedo-Preview.jpg

Target price for the first run is $65 or less.

Production Timing:
expecting prototype end of November 2011
1st production run about 1 month after that.

1st step now is to get the prototype made.
Clip design is not yet finalized.

Also, the final length may increase (max of 10mm but hoping 5mm at most), depending on the final driver size.

As always, I welcome your feedback.
Oh, and be gentle but honest, this is my first "production" model light. :)

tgwnn

#########
Please click for the: Latest Specs/Summary

OR

Please visit 500-Lumen-AAA-Flashlight-(photos)-Work-In-Progress (Part-2) for more details
#########

Last edited by a moderator:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos)

If I remember correctly, this will be a li-ion only light. I think it looks amazing. My only comment is that tailstanding on a light this size seems like it might not be a great idea. Given the size, any time in anything but level 1 or 2 without a hand dissapating heat may be problematic.
That said, as a pocket light fanatic, I will gladly volunteer to test, photo, and generally drool over this light at any time. Oh, and I'll buy one too!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, this will be a li-ion only light. I think it looks amazing. My only comment is that tailstanding on a light this size seems like it might not be a great idea. Given the size, any time in anything but level 1 or 2 without a hand dissapating heat may be problematic.
That said, as a pocket light fanatic, I will gladly volunteer to test, photo, and generally drool over this light at any time. Oh, and I'll buy one too!

Hi Smokelaw1,
Thanks for the kind words, the driver can now support standard AAA's (1.5v) as well.
There is auto-temperature control so if you use turbo mode (500 lumens) it will auto switch down to the next lowest mode when it gets too hot.

@Gadgetman7
Im planning for the lumen rating to be the same, regardless of battery type.

tgwnn

Danielsan

Enlightened

hmm, what is the sense of an AAA Li-ion only light? I mean ppl like AAA Batteries and Eneloops because they have tons of it and its available everywhere but AAA rechargable Li-Ion? It is a special product for a minority and it looks like the light will need more then one AAA so you can also take one wider Li-Ion rechargable?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm, what is the sense of an AAA Li-ion only light? I mean ppl like AAA Batteries and Eneloops because they have tons of it and its available everywhere but AAA rechargable Li-Ion? It is a special product for a minority and it looks like the light will need more then one AAA so you can also take one wider Li-Ion rechargable?

Thanks for the feedback.

Just updated the first post with info about power supply.
This will run on standard AAA's (1.5V) as well as Li-Ion's.

tgwnn

saypat

Enlightened

I'm in for one! By Christmas?

jseklund

Newly Enlightened

I don't know how much this will set me back...but I want one!!!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stainless or Titanium offerings?

EDIT: Wait wait wait... you mean this light is going to measure 65mm (6.5cm, or about 2.5") on the diameter? That's too fat for my liking.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The torpedo tail looks cool, but i suspect it won't tailstand well under keycain/lanyard duty when a split ring is in the center knob?
If you drill a hole in one of the torpedo fins, it can still tailstand with split ring installed. Then we have 2 attacthments to choose from. One hangs slightly crocked, but will be able to tailstand with keys/lanyard attatched. And the other hangs straight from the center knob, (but is harder to tailstand without using mcgyver tecnology). Everyone will be happy :)

Cool that someone finally dares to make a little beast like this. Love the tiny flamethrowers :p
Any chance of some neutral xm-l's for the tint snobs here ??

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

@jseklund, @JS_280
Thank you!!

@pjandyho
First version will be Aluminium TypeIII/HA.
After that, if there is enough demand for SS,Ti versions
I'd be more than happy to offer those as well.

tgwnn

nbp

Flashaholic
Looks awesome! How is the UI worked? Rapid on/off twists or a progressive twisty? Or a reverse progressive twisty actually I guess, haha.

nbp

Flashaholic
pjandyho said:

EDIT: Wait wait wait... you mean this light is going to measure 65mm (6.5cm, or about 2.5") on the diameter? That's too fat for my liking.

I think that's the length. Otherwise you're approaching SF turbohead size. :crackup:

shane45_1911

Enlightened

I am sure that is the LENGTH, even though the drawing makes it appear to be a diameter measurement. :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

The torpedo tail looks cool, but i suspect it won't tailstand well under keycain/lanyard duty when a split ring is in the center knob?
If you drill a hole in one of the torpedo fins, it can still tailstand with split ring installed. Then we have 2 attacthments to choose from. One hangs slightly crocked, but will be able to tailstand with keys/lanyard attatched. And the other hangs straight from the center knob, (but is harder to tailstand without using mcgyver tecnology). Everyone will be happy :)

Thanks for the feedback.
The hole is designed at an angle so that a split ring should be able to be positioned between the fins. Adding a hole in the fin is a good work around too.
If you use a strap (the kind used for attaching trinkets to mobile phones) or even a metal type, it will sit just fine, and not get in the way when tail standing.

Cool that someone finally dares to make a little beast like this. Love the tiny flamethrowers :p
Any chance of some neutral xm-l's for the tint snobs here ??

It took a lot of wrestling :)
and the auto-thermal step-down should make it reasonably safe for non-flashaholics too.

tgwnn

jseklund

Newly Enlightened

It states 14mm X 65 mm - so unless it's 14 mm LONG, I am guessing the 65 pertains to the width.

gunnerdog

Newly Enlightened

It states 14mm X 65 mm - so unless it's 14 mm LONG, I am guessing the 65 pertains to the width.

its about time somebody came out with a hockey-puck shaped light!

any idea on what the price point would be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.