First "Real" Flashlight

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Surefire G2. Cool! I ordered the P61 lamp with it. I noticed that the lamp in the P61 is leaning to one side. (The lamp in the P60 is centered and straight.) Is that a problem? Should I try to straighten it?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think about the brightness on either lamp?

I'm going to wait for an expert to answer your bulb question.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Well, right now I'm in a well-lit office and its a little hard to tell. I'll try both lights tonight and then let you know. I know this - it's a lot brighter than my 2AA M*g! (I think that's how I'm supposed to spell it on this site ; )

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was amazed too when I bought my first, an 8nx. It's so small for its brightness. The G2 is even much smaller. That's a cool light. Be prepared for the inevitable comments of those seeing your new beamer. It's always "Wow, that's really bright. Is that a M*glite?"

I haven't come up with a convincing response to that. I always wish I could haul out the old 2-D-cell hulker to show what a pathetic comparison it is, but that big old thing is never handy. As a result, most people don't believe it could be such an incredible difference. Makes me amazed to hear some folks complain about the price of Surefires too when the brightness is also factored with the R&D and relatively small production runs.

Be prepared to get addicted. I just ordered a Tigerlight yesterday, and am really thinking of a McCulloch HID. (see great "Superlight comparo" in the HID thread.)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the lamp moves you have a problem they are cemented in there somehow and it should not move. If the light output from it is ok (meaning it has a nice round or slightly oblong pattern with no dark spots) then I would not worry. If there is a problem just call SF customer service and they will get you a new one.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by woolfam: I know this - it's a lot brighter than my 2AA M*g! (I think that's how I'm supposed to spell it on this site ; )
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I got news for you. It's a lot brighter than any non-rechargable M** light.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
By the way, I ordered (and received ; ) it from Botach Tactical. I have read some posts relating negative experiences with them, but this, my first with them, was only positive - inexpensive, received all I ordered, and it came a day early.

Before I ordered I called their Customer Service, told them what I had read on this forum. I told them I wanted to hear both sides. The gentleman told me that the order would either be right, or be made right.

I received a black G2, 20 Toshiba CR123as, and a P61 lamp assy all for $80.89 shipped.

I'm not wanting to start another Botach thread - I just wanted to relate my experience.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my first Surefire (P6) from Botach without a hitch. That was pre-CPF. After joining here and reading some of the horrid tales of woe, I did not use them again. Now it looks like if you use some precautions, they can do a good job.

nihraguk

Enlightened
woolfam: i think you'll be very impressed with the P61 lamp; after seeing its output, my P60 lamp actually seems a bit dim now
smile.gif

as for the bulb in the P61, try moving it (use a tissue and do not apply too much force). if it doesn't move, then don't worry about it. if the beam it throws is normal, that the reason it is slanted is because the filament in the bulb is not centered, which would cause the bulb to be off-centre, though the filament isn't. i just checked my P61 lamp, and the bulb is slightly leaning to one side, but the beam is perfect and round
smile.gif

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
I e-mailed Surefire about the lamp not being straight. They responded:

"The filament is aligned to the reflector for focus, the glass is not a factor."

So... there you go!