Emergency Light Recommendations

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.
You guys have been so helpful in the past, I'm gonna hit you up for another recommendation.
Here's what I need:
- General purpose LED emergency light
- Push button switch on the side; I want it to look like a MagLight
- Stupid simple UI; on/off; maybe high and low (my wife will be using this too :))
- Light weight, thin, easy to handle (remember the wife thing?)
- Min 200 Lumens OTF
- Under $100
- Decent flood, but I want it to throw at least 100 yds
- Flat tail for candle stand mode
- Either C or AA batteries (I'd love to get a plug in rechargeable, but not at this price I'm afraid)
- It's gotta be able to take a beating
Does such a light exist.
Oh, and where's the best place to get it?
Let the recommendations fly folks.
Thanks in advance,
Lenny

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Because MagLights don't have anywhere near the output I want.
I already have a 3C with the Terralux drop in.
It's better than the orig bulb, but still lame.
As for the check list, I've answered almost all of the questions.
The ones I didn't, I don't really care about.
Lenny

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a Malkoff 3C Mag Lite drop-in into you Mag Lite. It is 260 lumens (real lumens) as I recall and it includes a giant copper heat sink so the lumens will not start going down the second you turn it on. You will also get plenty of run time with it too. You will then have a great light that you wife knows how to use. Knowing how to use it is very important for emergency.

There are just not many lights with side switches. Zebralight is one of the few that actually uses the side switch to turn the light on and off but it is not a simple UI for your wife.

Fenix has some larger lights with side switches that turn the lights on and off (as opposed to just chage modes like Klarus) but they are pretty big. If the bigness does not bother you, look at the TK45 or TK41 for AA batteries, or the TK50 or TK60 for D batteries. They still have multiple modes and two side switches. One to turn the light on/off and one to change modes.

Last edited:

lenny

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting to like the JetBeam PA40.
Killer output, and under $80.
Yeah, I know, it has modes and a rear clicky.
But I think my wife will be able to figure it out.
Anybody have one of these?
Pros/Cons?
Lenny

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Check out 4sevens Quark AA², R5 Edition. Moonlight mode is great for extended runtimes, and although the UI isn't as simple as ON/OFF, it's still simple stupid to use. The only other light I would recommend in your price range would be a Surefire G2X, but it does not tail stand. Fantastic emergency light though.

-Freq