Quark AA^2 Problem(?)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys!

I was hoping to ask those of you who own 4Sevens Quark Tactical: Do you observe that when twisting the head of the light to begin programming it, there's a rough, grinding-like feel to the head when tightening then loosening the head?

I'm not sure if this is normal as this is my one and only 4Sevens Quark light.

I own several brands of lights, but its just this Quark that seems so rough in the threads.

I clean it religiously and use silicon-based lubricants on the o-rings.

What could be causing this rough feel?

Thank you.

Hoping to be enlightened. :confused:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have a couple of Quarks and none of them have that issue, you might have a burr in the threads somewhere. Any lathe process can leave some burrs in a part, you might try going over the threads on the body and head with a picec of tissue paper and checking for a spot that tears it or feels rough. you can remove burrs with a bit of emery cloth just go really slow and don,t take off much metal. aluminum is not that tough a metal and it may go away with some use.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Quarks and none of them have that issue, you might have a burr in the threads somewhere. Any lathe process can leave some burrs in a part, you might try going over the threads on the body and head with a picec of tissue paper and checking for a spot that tears it or feels rough. you can remove burrs with a bit of emery cloth just go really slow and don,t take off much metal. aluminum is not that tough a metal and it may go away with some use.

Thanks man! I'll definitely try it out. i really dont like the rough feeling, its like the aluminum's grinding each other. Sometimes when i clean my light, there's a fine aluminum-looking dust which sticks to the silicon lubricant. It's so strange that of all my lights, its only this one that has that issue. Could i have worn out the threads? Does it have a defect?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of lube exactly is it. Not all lubes are created equal. I had the same problem with my Quarks. I got some new lube with PTFE in it and it feels like new, even though the light is two years old. Also I don't need to lube them all that often with the quality lube.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Hey there,
I own six quarks and occasionally this happens to one of them. But it has always been remedied by cleaning very completely with cotton swabs removing all lube and dirt. And relubing. I use nothing but nyogel 760 from lighthound.
$11.00 for the small tube. And it's as good as new. I love that stuff. I hope this helps u. Good luck.
Take care,
Nick