Light for Attic inspection

CBIRD02

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light that would be good to inspect attics. I needs to be under $60 and be relatively small(4-6in). I would like something that I can recharge in a car charger without taking out the batteries. It is advantageous for me to be able to see something about 30 ft away with some detail in a dark attic.

Any ideas?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Zebralight H51 or H51F (depending on how much flood you want). Both of these are headlamps, which leave both hands free.

Limiting to only lights that can be charged from a car charger without removing the batteries really cuts down on your options.

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light that would be good to inspect attics. I needs to be under $60 and be relatively small(4-6in). I would like something that I can recharge in a car charger without taking out the batteries. It is advantageous for me to be able to see something about 30 ft away with some detail in a dark attic.

Any ideas?

Finding a good rechargeable light for under 60 dollars may be a tall order. If it helps, I'm a cable technician and I'm in attics all the time. I holster a Fenix PD31. The UI is ideal for work IMO.

With the head tight, a click turns the light on to MAX. With the head loose, a click turns it on to LOW and it can be tapped up to MED and HIGH from there.
It also tail stands which is really handy for setting it up on a beam for hands free work.

The light itself is not rechargeable, but I just order a bunch of Titanium Innovations cells from Battery Junction for a dollar each.

:welcome:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any ideas?
If you have access to a USB port in the car, this ($45, iTP R01 Rechargeable LED Flashlight 190 Lumens!) might work http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-r01.html

theshorelinemarket_2174_529250254

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Limiting yourself to built in batteries restricts your choices. Otherwise I would say a Solarforce L2P with XM-L module. This will provide a very wide flood and tons of light, in the neighborhood of 400 or so lumens, excellent for lighting up close in areas without creating a blinding hotspot. You can easily get this and 2 18650's plus a budget charger under $60. Plus it being a P60 format light allows it to be upgraded if you don't like the light output, beam shape, or tint.

Plus one advantage to a replaceable battery is the ability to swap out batteries in case it goes dead. Think about it this way. Every time I went to an impromptu party or go on a road trip, there is always one of my friends that whips out their camera only to discover it's dead. Whereas with my camera I can easily just pop in a set of AA batteries and I always have a spare set of those and a car charger. Trying to get a spare charger and spare battery for a specialty item seems like more hassle than going with an affordable light with affordable standardized accessories.

CBIRD02

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I can live without the rechargeable base.

I really don't like disposable batteries so I at least would like to get a charger that plugs into the car lighter.

Gregozedobe: I really like that Zebralight. I would imagine that I want the H51, not the H51F. It is important that I can have some kind of spot with good spill rather than flood the whole attic. Some attics I need to see something far away but don't want to crawl 20 ft in a 120 degree Arizona attic. Just got familiarized with the terms, so does this sound like correct conclusion?

mattevt:
Are there good car chargers from CR123 or 18650's?
Do you are anyone know if you can get a generic head strap that a stick type light can fit into?

Thanks guys! Didn't know there was a flashlight underground that is so informed...err passionate....err obsessed with flashlights!

CBIRD02

Newly Enlightened
Otherwise I would say a Solarforce L2P with XM-L module. This will provide a very wide flood and tons of light, in the neighborhood of 400 or so lumens, excellent for lighting up close in areas without creating a blinding hotspot.

You make a good point...maybe I actually do want a flood. With enough lumens, will I still be able to light up objects say 20-30 ft away with decent clarity without a spot. I am often lighting up areas up close for inspection.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

The new line of Petzl headlamps can use a rechargable battery pack. Plus you can always run primaries in a pinch. Don't know what the overall cost would be.

kelmo

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think a light that takes rechargeable AA batteries makes a whole lot more sense that trying to find a dedicated rechargeable light. You could have handful of rechargeable AA batteries on the side and you're good to go, not to mention all you have to do is swap out the old and in with the new. With a dedicated light, most of the time when it's charging it out of operation. You are severely limiting yourself if looking for a dedicated rechargeable flashlight IMO. There is no need for a dedicated rechargeable light nowadays, not with so many rechargeable AA and lithium ion batteries.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
What about something like the Fenix MC11 or MC10 if you can find it.
has a clip to attach to a shirt or can stand on its own.

What about a headlamp?

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
I personally think a light that takes rechargeable AA batteries makes a whole lot more sense that trying to find a dedicated rechargeable light. You could have handful of rechargeable AA batteries on the side and you're good to go, not to mention all you have to do is swap out the old and in with the new. With a dedicated light, most of the time when it's charging it out of operation. You are severely limiting yourself if looking for a dedicated rechargeable flashlight IMO. There is no need for a dedicated rechargeable light nowadays, not with so many rechargeable AA and lithium ion batteries.

Yes this is a good point. OP could try a Fenix LD20 and use Eneloops. Fenix also makes a head band for use with their (and other brand's) lights.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make a good point...maybe I actually do want a flood. With enough lumens, will I still be able to light up objects say 20-30 ft away with decent clarity without a spot. I am often lighting up areas up close for inspection.

I can light up stuff 100 feet away or more even though the XM-L light is mostly a flood, it just has that much brute force. Think about it this way, this is the equivalent of holding a 40 watt work light in your hand. It's that bright, but for up close what's nice is you can get a multi-mode module and have a low level of output for those close up inspections.

And I just did a quick comparison, the XM-L light makes for a more comfortable inspection than a tight hotspot that the XP-G provieds, you'll get to scan a wider area without sweeping the light back and forth and even at full power things don't get uncomfortably bright til you're inspecting things at book reading length away.

Last edited: