Anyone have experience with terraLUX TLE-300M? (for 4D mag)

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Have a 4D LED maglite from about 2 or 3 years ago. Its adequate but I'd really like a nice drop-in for no more than 80 bucks or so. I don't want to have to do any soldering or anything, but I'd like the drop-in to be significantly brighter than the stock LED. How is the TERRALUX TLE-300M? Significantly brighter than stock led?

Thanks!

Jackasper

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to CPF !

I have two words for you concerning your request.... Malkoff Devices
I am sorry if that strays from the subject, I kind of took your post as "what would be the best option for under $80. If you were specifically looking for info on the TerraLux, then I apologize

Last edited:

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
So, this one:

1. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-module-for-36-dcell-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html

vs.

2. http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux-tle-300m-ex-s.html

The Malkoff is superior enough to justify the extra 15 bucks? And it literally drops in like the TerraLUX?

Basically I just want a drop in module to make my 4D LED Maglite a lot brighter, but still retain the durability of its original form. Don't particularly care about being able to keep the adjustability, as long as its bright as hell.

Thanks.

Riku

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome to CPF !

I have two words for you concerning your request.... Malkoff Devices
I am sorry if that strays from the subject, I kind of took your post as "what would be the best option for under $80. If you were specifically looking for info on the TerraLux, then I apologize

I wonder if you could explain why one would choose the Malkoff instead of the Terralux. I have the Terralux myself and I have been very satisfied. It's certanly brighter than the 260 lumen Malkoff are quoting. The Terralux comes highly recommended from me, very bright!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Alias - your 4D LED; is it one of the older LED Maglites that was basically an incan, bulb driven light but with the bulb swapped for a drop in LED module, or is it one of the newer LED Maglites made specifically for use with an LED?

The reason I ask is that the Terralux module replaces the bulb (or LED module) in an incan style Maglite. I don't think that it will fit the newer, LED specific Maglites.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alias - your 4D LED; is it one of the older LED Maglites that was basically an incan, bulb driven light but with the bulb swapped for a drop in LED module, or is it one of the newer LED Maglites made specifically for use with an LED?

The reason I ask is that the Terralux module replaces the bulb (or LED module) in an incan style Maglite. I don't think that it will fit the newer, LED specific Maglites.

It would have to be the older 3watt Lux III version because the newer rebel style doesn't come in 4D format.

The malkoff is the superior product when it comes to build quality, heatsinking, warranty, and throw. Your odds of getting a good tint with the malkoff is better than that of the terralux as well. The terralux should indeed be quite a bit brighter, and one of the models offers 3 levels of output, however, one important fact about the terralux is it is all flood and has an irregular shaped spot of light, the malkoff, though dimmer, retains the maglites ability to throw a tight beam.

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if you could explain why one would choose the Malkoff instead of the Terralux. I have the Terralux myself and I have been very satisfied. It's certanly brighter than the 260 lumen Malkoff are quoting. The Terralux comes highly recommended from me, very bright!

I would also like to know.

Thanks!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
It would have to be the older 3watt Lux III version because the newer rebel style doesn't come in 4D format.

Aah, fair enough. I've never been interested in anything larger than the 3D so have never bothered to have a look at the current format of the 4Ds.

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Terralux 300m-ex and a Malkof Drop In.

The terralux I use at work, it lights up everything with plenty of throw, no real flood or spot, just tons of light, and yes it has a funky pattern but dosent bother me a bit. It's my own minor league handheld searchlight in a MAG 3D powered by 2 32650's with a small spacer. (8.4v fresh off the charger)

For home I also have a MAG 3D with a Malkof Drop in powered by 3D NiMh (3.6v fresh off the charger). It has a tight spot with all kinds of soft flood to light up the area and long spotting at the same time. Not as bright as the terralux but just as usefull for going into the brush with the dog.

Depending on your useage you may enjoy either one.

AliasNeo07

Newly Enlightened
Some interesting points have been made, thank you.

The light I have is a 4D maglite that came purpose built with the LED module. Serial number prefix is "D."

Basically, I want an drop in LED module that is significantly brighter than the stock one. I also want to purchase a 3D model of some sort, and retrofit it with another bright drop in.

That is what I'm looking for.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
my terralux 300 ex running on 5 1/2D NiMH in a 3D out throws (with a much brighter flood beam) my malkoff 3-6 drop in running on 2 IMR 26650's in a 2D. But I love the beam shape and tint on the malkoff. I say get both like I have lol

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
my terralux 300 ex running on 5 1/2D NiMH in a 3D out throws (with a much brighter flood beam) my malkoff 3-6 drop in running on 2 IMR 26650's in a 2D. But I love the beam shape and tint on the malkoff. I say get both like I have lol

I'm sure your terralux wins solely on sheer grunt, the malkoff being able to focus down tightly. I have always heard the terralux's beam described as a wall of light with an irregular hotspot.

Jackasper

Enlightened
Fair enough. The reason why I suggested the Malkoff drop in over the Terralux is simple. Gene Malkoff and his crew. The dedication and desire that those folks over there have for what they do won me over long ago when I went through the same dilema that the op is now going through. The customer support that they offer is second to none. Reguarding the actual drop ins themselves, I am aware that the Terralux is rated brighter, but like ebow86 put it, the Malkoff is the superior product.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've heard that the current 300M is a huge improvement in quality over the first, and second-gen versions. All I can say is, I hope so!

I bought a 2nd generation version years ago. The output was no where near what they claim. Ironically, 300M is a very approriate name. That's about the actual lumen output that you're getting from it, 300 lumens. Pure flood. Output still quite good. But Q.C. left a lot to be desired. The unit would frequently pop out just a bit if even slightly bumped. Pop out to the point that it wouldn't work. Getting it screwed back down was a chore because your fingers have no space to properly grip the drop-in in order to screw it back down.

I still have my 4D M@glite with the 300M in it. I never use it. If there's ever a blackout, I'll grab it. But I'll be sure to grab a couple of extra lights as well, for back-up in case my 4D gets bumped.

You want quality? You'll have a very hard time doing better than a Malkoff drop-in.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that the current 300M is a huge improvement in quality over the first, and second-gen versions. All I can say is, I hope so!

I bought a 2nd generation version years ago. The output was no where near what they claim. Ironically, 300M is a very approriate name. That's about the actual lumen output that you're getting from it, 300 lumens. Pure flood. Output still quite good. But Q.C. left a lot to be desired. The unit would frequently pop out just a bit if even slightly bumped. Pop out to the point that it wouldn't work. Getting it screwed back down was a chore because your fingers have no space to properly grip the drop-in in order to screw it back down.

I still have my 4D M@glite with the 300M in it. I never use it. If there's ever a blackout, I'll grab it. But I'll be sure to grab a couple of extra lights as well, for back-up in case my 4D gets bumped.

You want quality? You'll have a very hard time doing better than a Malkoff drop-in.

What do you use to power yours? Alkies?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What do you use to power yours? Alkies?

Yes. I keep it empty until it's needed. Then I just use one of my lights I have scattered about my home to see, when I need to put batteries in her during a blackout.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I keep it empty until it's needed. Then I just use one of my lights I have scattered about my home to see, when I need to put batteries in her during a blackout.

How does it perform with them? I've considered getting a terralux tle 300m in the past for my 6D mag, but never wanted to invest in a good charger and 6 D cell Nimhs just to do so.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How does it perform with them? I've considered getting a terralux tle 300m in the past for my 6D mag, but never wanted to invest in a good charger and 6 D cell Nimhs just to do so.

Quite well, actually. I cannot confirm it, but it seems TerraLux designed the 300M to function best with alkies. Perhaps that has changed in the current version. The "bump" issue really is a problem. I hope it has been fixed in the current version of the 300M.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many versions do they have for the 300M? I got the one with the 3x K2 TFFC LEDs in my 2D mag. I'm running it off 2x18650s in a Survival Tubes battery tube. Pretty bright for a 2D Mag, I'd say 450lumens+ because it out shines my Jetbeam M1X easily.