TERRALUX TLE-300M-EX vs Fenix TK35

immax01

Newly Enlightened
First off, CPF has been very interesting to lurk for the past few weeks. I've learned a lot from all of you, and have been inspired by your collections.

I am in need of a large thrower. After last week's hurricane Irene, I realized that I need something that can illuminate a small area, as far away as possible, to monitor for flooding. (at least that's what i'll tell my wife why im buying a $100 light.):D

I have a 3D Mag that i am considering dropping a TERRALUX TLE-300M-EX into it. BatteryJunction sells a kit that transforms the 3D into a rechargeable NIMH pack. I would like to not have to buy batteries for this light, if i have the option to charge it.
700 Lumens
$104.00

OR

I am considering the TK35 or something similar.
820 Lumens
$109.95

I can't decide what would be a better option for me. I'd actually prefer to spend $70-$90 if you guys can suggest an equivalent alternative in that price range. Thanks.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Bear in mind that either of these lights will throw a hotspot at least a hundred yards, so if you're only monitoring flooding in your backyard, they're serious overkill. The Fenix is the better deal just because it's a better all around light; the TerraLux has a broad spot beam that would work well for your application, but the Fenix can also be turned down and used as a house light, and its huge spill beam is very useful for everyday tasks.

If you actually need to monitor a very large area, this $70, 35 watt HID will throw a beam up to a half mile away and light entire hillsides, but it's too bright for any suburban situation.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, seems like there's an unusually large amount of threads started up regarding upgrading maglite's with LED dropin's.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd actually prefer to spend $70-$90 if you guys can suggest an equivalent alternative in that price range. Thanks.

I'd wander over to the Marketplace and keep your eyes open for a used TK40/30. Sure they don't throw as far as the newer TK's with an XM-L, but they still rock as far as output goes and have a nice wide hotspot capable of lighting up anything within 100 metres quite well.

I own lights with more output and better throw, but it still brings a smile to my face when I turn the TK40 on to turbo mode.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Boy, seems like there's an unusually large amount of threads started up regarding upgrading maglite's with LED dropin's.
:laughing:haha I was just thinking the same thing. I think I saw 4 or 5 threads on Mag dropins today. Three of them have under 4 posts.... I think we need to unleash some CPF knowledge on these guys with their Mags.:cool:

I would go with the TK35, it's an awesome light! I have both the Mag W/ the TLE-300 and the TK35, and I would hands down recommend it over the Mag.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As someone who owns both . . . TK35 all the way. Not even close!

If I lost the TerraLux or broke it, I wouldn't give a $#!%.

My TK35? I'd replace it before you could blink an eye. That's how big the difference is.