Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: Who is planning on Preordering the ZL Q50

Flashaholic

Default Who is planning on Preordering the ZL Q50

When it finally comes available?

Default Re: Who is planning on Preordering the ZL Q50

nope. As much as I love zebralights, I'll wait to make sure there are not any issues with the initial build AND I'll buy from a dealer for easy returns if there is an issue.

Flashaholic

Hopefully they are using the same circuitry as the sc600 and there won't be any bugs in the intial release.All they need really is a different housing design I think.

good way to kill their initial sales :/
    TK40 Round-Up Thread - very image intensive!

Flashaholic*

Not me. I'm saving for a Surefire, they're the best!!! And they don't randomly ship from China.

Nap.

I don't really know what it looks like yet apart from the speculation of the other Q50 thread.
    What do you mean they blew up the death star.......... Wait....What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?

Need to look at the actual light before deciding. The overall outlook is still one of the deciding factor for me.

Flashaholic

I am guessing they will have actual pics of the light and set in stone specs at time of preorder,should have anyways

I'll pre-order one and I don't even use AA light's that much but being as it can run on either 2 or 4 AA's is a big plus, I love the Zebra's.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    I'll pre-order one and I don't even use AA light's that much but being as it can run on either 2 or 4 AA's is a big plus, I love the Zebra's.
    Where'd you get the info that it can run on 2 AAs from? I wonder if it can then run on 2x14500s.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubie67
    Who is planning on Preordering the ZL Q50
    Gulp! The p-p-preorder thread, already? Zoinks Scoob! How about we see a picture first?

I'm pretty much in like Flynn... I'm a ZebraHolic!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Ešrendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

I'm waiting for the ZL Q50w.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    I'm waiting for the ZL Q50w.
    I will second that.

Quote Originally Posted by akajimmy View Post
    I will second that.
    Thirded.

But since it will likely come out with both tints at the same time...yeah, I'm planning on preordering.

If it looks good think I'll pop. The specs are impressive but specs don't mean everything. Need to see a real prototype soon/first.

Other than slight increase of capacity of 4 x AA over 1 x 18650, I would have to be convinced there was some benefit to it over the SC600.

ZL claim that turbo should be able to run longer due to the light being bigger and therefore better heat sinking, but the trade off of course for both of these is size.

Very similar light to the SC600 in terms of output etc, but considerably bigger.

If they get the reflector deep enough, for example, and it dramatically out-throws the SC600, then I will probably buy one, but good chance it will not be on a pre-order, given the switch and tube diameter issues with the first run of SC600's.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by conquer View Post
    Other than slight increase of capacity of 4 x AA over 1 x 18650, I would have to be convinced there was some benefit to it over the SC600.

ZL claim that turbo should be able to run longer due to the light being bigger and therefore better heat sinking, but the trade off of course for both of these is size.

Very similar light to the SC600 in terms of output etc, but considerably bigger.

If they get the reflector deep enough, for example, and it dramatically out-throws the SC600, then I will probably buy one, but good chance it will not be on a pre-order, given the switch and tube diameter issues with the first run of SC600's.
    People like "me" who already have a NiMH charger and 32 MiMH batteries as well as countless AA alkalines lying around.I do not really want to invest in another battery format when the NiMhs I have are already in use for so many other things.I know of only one friend I have that even has a cr123 light but plenty that have AA lights or C and D for that matter.Also the General market is "HUGE" compared to Li-Ion for people that may not even buy Li-IOn but have plenty AA bateries for TV remotes,smoke detectors,Toys and anything else I am forgetting and they are buying AA's anyways but may want a high performance light that would use AA's, even if they do not want the hassle of recharging they buy alkalines.The mass market is easy 100 to 1 compared to Li-Ion customers maybe even a 1,000 to 1 potential buyers without exagerrating,not everyone is a flasaholic like on this site as a great site as it is.

Also if the Specs are correct "as far as I know" ,it is the only 4AA Led flashlight that can perform on par with a 18650 light that is still small enought to EDC pocket carry.Maybe there are some out there that run on 4 AA that can do that I am not aware of?
    Last edited by Scubie67; 09-02-2011 at 07:04 PM.

I will definitely get the Q50 in both cool and neutral tints. Whether I get it immediately or wait for the second batch remains to be seen. I think I will want to see a review first at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Scubie67 View Post
    People like "me" who already have a NiMH charger and 32 MiMH batteries as well as countless AA alkalines lying around.I do not really want to invest in another battery format when the NiMhs I have are already in use for so many other things.I know of only one friend I have that even has a cr123 light but plenty that have AA lights or C and D for that matter.Also the General market is "HUGE" compared to Li-Ion for people that may not even buy Li-IOn but have plenty AA bateries for TV remotes,smoke detectors,Toys and anything else I am forgetting and they are buying AA's anyways but may want a high performance light that would use AA's, even if they do not want the hassle of recharging they buy alkalines.The mass market is easy 100 to 1 compared to Li-Ion customers maybe even a 1,000 to 1 potential buyers without exagerrating,not everyone is a flasaholic like on this site as a great site as it is.

Also if the Specs are correct "as far as I know" ,it is the only 4AA Led flashlight that can perform on par with a 18650 light that is still small enought to EDC pocket carry.Maybe there are some out there that run on 4 AA that can do that I am not aware of?
    You are right I think about it being a AA light making it far more appealing to the masses. Not sure how much that will help them given that the masses will still never know of it's existence due to it not being in Wallmart etc...

Still, for me I would much rather just buy an 18650 and a charger, both of which are pretty cheap, and have a much smaller light as a result.

Flashaholic

You are right I think about it being a AA light making it far more appealing to the masses. Not sure how much that will help them given that the masses will still never know of it's existence due to it not being in Wallmart etc...

Still, for me I would much rather just buy an 18650 and a charger, both of which are pretty cheap, and have a much smaller light as a result.
    Yep ,the masses are slow to go with new tech ,they are just now probably moving into the 10 year old Led tech,its a start though.I have started seeing some lights at wallymart now that are advertising 100 lumens,its a turtle pace though for sure.Yes Li-ion is always more efficient energy to storage spacewise,look at all our cellphone batteries

Yeah Li-ion is very efficient. I do love my AA Eneloop XX though, I have tons of them and use them in everything around the house. I never buy disposable batteries of any kind now.

This thread may benefit from a poll to collate figures on who will pre-order?

Yes
    No
    Maybe
    etc...

I've had no need to buy new primary alkalines since the early 90s actually when I bought my first Eveready NiCD charger @ a Target store.

Still have and use the cells although they are about to get recycled soon. Then I moved on to the Ray O' Vac Renewal Rechargeable Alkaline charger PS1 and a couple of the next versions; the PS2 and PS3.

Then NiMH in the late 90s early 00's NiMH was huge so I bought a few Maha chargers:

Then the newer age of smart chargers came on the scene and I bought the LaCrosse BC-900 (x3)

worked well until my first meltdown last year while I was on vacation. V.32 version melted but it still works if I keep an eye on it.

Then finally a year or so ago I bought the Maha Wizard One:

and I haven't looked back.

I do have a stockpile of alkalines that come from newly purchased electronic gear or tv remotes etc. Maybe they will come in handy during armageddon in the future but for now they sit unused since 1995. Not sure why people still even bother to buy alkalines in this day and age. Are the masses THAT far behind people like myself?

Yeah Li-ion is very efficient. I do love my AA Eneloop XX though, I have tons of them and use them in everything around the house. I never buy disposable batteries of any kind now.

This thread may benefit from a poll to collate figures on who will pre-order?

Yes
    No
    Maybe
    etc...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    Are the masses THAT far behind people like myself?
    Basically, yes.

Will your emergency pile of Alkelines still be any use being as old as that?

who knows, I have batterys like Duracells that have 2001 written on them and tested them on my old Micronta (Radio Shack) battery tester and it is in the V.Good section. Pretty sure they will be ok in 2049. Like I said, I keep continually get and keep alkalines that come with new electronic items. I buy a new mouse or keyboard and they are already pre-loaded with alkalines. First thing is they get removed and stored in my 100 slot ammo cases. Been doing this for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by uknewbie View Post
    Basically, yes.

Will your emergency pile of Alkelines still be any use being as old as that?

A&Q Moderator

I like ZL but history tells me not to pre order one. Sometimes there is an issue like the early H501's or a V2 comes out in about a week to address user concerns.

Flashaholic

I still have to use alkalines in my smoke detector,the low battery alert goes off within a day of installing freshly charged Eneloops in the detector.I guess its reads the low 1.25 volts of the NiMH batteries and considers them discharged even though they meter fine.Thats the only item I think that I regularly use alkalines for.Maybe time for a new Smoke detector to considering its probably 13 or so years old though

Scubie67,

Would energiser 1.5V lithium AA cells be usable in your smoke detector?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Harry999 View Post
    Scubie67,

Would energiser 1.5V lithium AA cells be usable in your smoke detector?
    Maybe, never tried them as I am too tight.3 AA Alkalines last about a year in the detector so its no too bad to buy that many for just one use .I usually get the bulk packs of AAs