Need 365 nm flashlight LED bulb

harshad1

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody

I need a 365 nm ultraviolet LED + reflector of the sort that will fit into a flashlight.

Something like this Link to an ebay P60 style dropin removed - Norm

I don't really care what kind of flashlight it fits as I don't intend to fit it on to a body. I don't care for brightness regulation circuitry either as I will be powering it from a regulated DC power source.

What I do require, however is that it be of as high a power as possible. I'm looking at 1 Watts consumed as an absolute a minimum (Though I don't really know how much actual UV power output this will correspond to).

Can you guys point me at good sources for these? Preferably shipping within the US as I need these as fast as possible.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a good 395-405 nm UV P60 style drop-in from batteryjunction.com. It's rated for 3W, and it definitely does some great fluorescing (pointing it at the ceiling will make everything fluorescent in the room light up), but it has a lot of visible "purplishness" to it. From what I understand, the visible spectrum ends at approximately 390 nm, so 365 would be pretty well invisible until it hits something fluorescent. I don't know what your're planning to do with it, 400 nm might be a too long a wavelength.

Last edited:

harshad1

Newly Enlightened
@Bigmac_79:

I need it as part of a photo-curing setup. Which is why I really need a 365nm source. I've actually already found your site and searched it but couldn't find anything that fits my needs.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over 1 watt it's gonna get really expensive really fast, I mean the led's alone can cost upwards of $100 and you're probably going to need more than one and it's still probably not gonna be powerful enough. Something like the Solaray UV Curing Lamp ought to work really nicely though. But UV curable products can be pretty picky about wavelength though.

If you're really on a tight budget you can cobble together some blacklight cfl's and cheap clamp on worklights, you can also polish the aluminum worklight to get a little better concentration of the UV. I know that this particular combination is brighter than my dedicated 365nm Ledengin custom built light. Buy three of these and if your product really is 365nm blacklight blue curing this ought to do it.

These are from amazon so you can search these terms mods don't like links to products.

Sunlite SL20/BLB 20 Watt Spiral Energy Saving CFL
Grip 37265 Clamp On Work Light

harshad1

Newly Enlightened
@HKJ: Thanks. That site seems pretty good.

@qwertyydude: I know, and I don't mind spending the money if I have no choice (money comes from a research grant). I need the UV energy focussed down to a small spot. The optics needed to do this with a CFL or halogen based source are messy and expensive in their own right.

There is a suitable drop in (I didn't even know that they were called 'drop ins' until Norm corrected me) listed on ebay: its called "6P G2 365 nm Ultraviolet UV LED Bulb Lamp C1 L2 C5 501B" and is rated at ~700ma at 8V. That's ~5W dissipated for $17! Is there anything I'm missing here? Is it safe to run this as the given power level for several hours? What if I tack on additional heat sinks and cooling?

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How precise do you need to focus this down into? If you need precision, optics or a pinhole mask is going to be the only way to focus light down to a small spot. If going the mask way you're going to need a powerful light, so I suggest getting the Solaray light if it'll work to cure your product. If not and you need power and a mask, a 365 nm mercury inspection lamp is going to just about be the only thing but those can get into the $700+ range.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
@HKJ: Thanks. That site seems pretty good.

@qwertyydude: I know, and I don't mind spending the money if I have no choice (money comes from a research grant). I need the UV energy focussed down to a small spot. The optics needed to do this with a CFL or halogen based source are messy and expensive in their own right.

There is a suitable drop in (I didn't even know that they were called 'drop ins' until Norm corrected me) listed on ebay: its called "6P G2 365 nm Ultraviolet UV LED Bulb Lamp C1 L2 C5 501B" and is rated at ~700ma at 8V. That's ~5W dissipated for $17! Is there anything I'm missing here? Is it safe to run this as the given power level for several hours? What if I tack on additional heat sinks and cooling?

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone

First, it's ebay, and output specs are often grossly inflated. Second, that's probably talking about the light's power draw, not it's output, which will be orders of magnitude less.

harshad1

Newly Enlightened
How precise do you need to focus this down into? If you need precision, optics or a pinhole mask is going to be the only way to focus light down to a small spot. If going the mask way you're going to need a powerful light, so I suggest getting the Solaray light if it'll work to cure your product. If not and you need power and a mask, a 365 nm mercury inspection lamp is going to just about be the only thing but those can get into the $700+ range.

Masks are out of the question. I am currently using a condenser lens and a diffuser to generate my spot. However, the cheap 365nm flashlight (one of the '9 led' ones) I'm using is nowhere near powerful enough at the range I need. At $700 I'd rather get a 40W LedEngin from mouser and tack on a custom reflector, driver and heat sink. I'm looking for the 'quick and dirty' solution.

Yoda4561 said:
First, it's ebay, and output specs are often grossly inflated. Second, that's probably talking about the light's power draw, not it's output, which will be orders of magnitude less.

Certainly. 5 watts of UV output would be quite impressive even for a 40W led. I'm just assuming that a ~5W led will put out more UV than my current setup. I'm just wondering if you experienced people feel that the 5 Watts Dissipated claim itself is false.

Last edited:

Latest posts