Computer (PPPoE/IPv6/Linux) question

cdosrun

Enlightened
My first proper non-light topic. It's not a particularly exciting question I'm afraid but I thought I might ask as there are a lot of techies here.

Background

I have a server setup at home consisting of a server (desktop computer in the loft) running Gentoo and VMWare Server with a number of virtual Gentoo servers on top. One of those servers is my firewall. The physical server speaks to the outside world over a LACP trunked network port to a managed Linksys switch which then separates out the network feeds to the servers/firewall based on their tagged VLAN.

One of the VLANs is used solely for a Draytek Vigor 120 modem which acts as a PPPoA to PPPoE bridge. My connection to my ISP is created by a PPPoE tunnel from the firewall and it works without fault. I also have a tunnel to an IPv6 tunnel broker (HE) which runs across the IPv4 connection.

The problem

My ISP is now trialling IPv6 natively and I am on the trial however, I do not seem to be able to run my existing PPPoE connection alongside the new one (the trial account has different credentials to my existing one). I have tried using the RP PPPoE client as well as PPP in linux (i.e. both through my /etc/conf.d/net file with the module PPP) and also through the pppoe-start script and config file. in both instances, I have set the unit number and name for the PPP connections to be separate. However, whenever I try to bring up the second connection (either the original or trial) the other drops and the alternate.

Another of my servers is my SMTP server which is the primary MX for my domains and I don't really have a proper secondary (I have left my registrar's MX as backup which results in my e-mail being forwarded to an online account that is then collected through fetchmail). I don't really want to have the difficulty of changing my IP to run the trial and therefore want to run both connections concurrently.

The question

As far as I know, there are no technical restrictions to me running two concurrent PPP connections over the same ethernet interface and the only reason I can think of for the symptoms I am experiencing above is that the ISP has a restriction or limit on the number of concurrent connections.

However, I am not expert and don't work in IT so if someone has a little more knowledge, would they please let me know I am being an idiot and nudge me in the right direction?

I have posted on the ISP's forum, but they are a little slower than here :)

Thank you,

Andrew

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very advanced setup for someone who doesn't work in IT :)

I think you're on the money regarding the ISP limiting concurrent connections. That'd be the first thing I'd confirm.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Wow, that was quick, thank you. I wasn't sure if I was going mad so will wait for the ISP to get back to me. (I have just seen that you are an IT systems engineer, so just the right person to reply!) Is there any question that could not be answered here?

It is overkill for home use, I know. I have always liked IT and I did work in the field for a year or two between degrees so I like to keep my hand in by tinkering at home; it's a bit unusual for a solicitor though, so needs to be kept under wraps a little :)

I will report back if it is the ISP's limitation.

Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited: