The Next Step, …

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys/gals, I in hopes that I'm asking this question correctly.

I own both a Maelstrom G5 and a M30 Triton. Both has it's strengths, in how it's utilized, (after using both nightly for over a month) a thrower and a Flood.

What flashlight would you recommend as my next step in regards to filling the void as an long distance thrower with a strong hot spot (?) at the 200 plus yards distance.

I'm in hopes to keep the battery to a 18650 which both the G5 and M30 uses, has a momentary on switch, as well as being comfortable carried on my belt (possibly with the G5 or M30 to use when I'm on/in the main structure).

I've been looking at videos and reading, but wanted to ask so I wouldn't miss any available light that would meet these criterias.

Is it possible to keep it under 2 bills or am I dreaming?

Thanks,

Pops

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the newest Malkoff Hound Dog XML.
It can replace both your existing lights, and give you better results than both of them, out of one light.
It is over $200, but if you sold both your existing lights, you could get it easily.
It is no larger than the Maelstrom G5, has slightly longer throw, and much cleaner and more even beam without any donut.
It also provides great flood at the same time.
Both needs done with one light, at the highest level of quality(Malkoff).

IMO, that is your next step.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best lights that meet your criteria are a little big for belt carry, but certainly can be done. I went through this process a few months ago as well, and ended up getting the EagleTac M3C4 with the single XM-L LED in it. Excellent light with the type of monster throw you are requesting. I chose it because it has multiple levels ranging from very low to very high. Here's the list of lights you should consider, and I believe you would be happy with any of them (I know I would.) So take a look at: the EagleTac M3C4, Thrunite Catapult V3 XM-L, Olight M3X Triton. There are others that I'm not thinking of I'm sure, but start with these. Also, take a look in the review section of CPF to read more about these lights & lights like them. Here is Selfbuilt's 100 yard outdoor beamshot thread which does a great job of comparing lights (brightness & throw) - Click Here

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the newest Malkoff Hound Dog XML.
It can replace both your existing lights, and give you better results than both of them, out of one light.
It is over $200, but if you sold both your existing lights, you could get it easily.
It is no larger than the Maelstrom G5, has slightly longer throw, and much cleaner and more even beam without any donut.
It also provides great flood at the same time.
Both needs done with one light, at the highest level of quality(Malkoff).

IMO, that is your next step.

Thanks for the fast response! I cured the donut in the G5, by replacing the smooth reflector with the optional textured one. What I'm trying to find is an even longer throw. A throw that will show something clearly at a long distance, if I'm saying that right? IMO, if the M30 had a different (designed) reflector (or head) it could easily do the job.

But after say a 100/150 yards, you see the light, but can't really make out what I'm looking at.

Pops

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best lights that meet your criteria are a little big for belt carry, but certainly can be done. I went through this process a few months ago as well, and ended up getting the EagleTac M3C4 with the single XM-L LED in it. Excellent light with the type of monster throw you are requesting. I chose it because it has multiple levels ranging from very low to very high. Here's the list of lights you should consider, and I believe you would be happy with any of them (I know I would.) So take a look at: the EagleTac M3C4, Thrunite Catapult V3 XM-L, Olight M3X Triton. There are others that I'm not thinking of I'm sure, but start with these. Also, take a look in the review section of CPF to read more about these lights & lights like them. Here is Selfbuilt's 100 yard outdoor beamshot thread which does a great job of comparing lights (brightness & throw) - Click Here

Thanks for the link! Man that EagleTac M3C4's beam is something!

Pops

Btw, the TK45 beam is what I was trying to describe in regards to the M30. Where you see the lighted area, but not clearly. However, if i'm within a 100 yard area, I love the wide flood beam of the M30 (in addition to utilizing the extention tube to run x2 18650's, I can go 3 nights with it). It light's everything up!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't advocate the Hound Dog as the farthest throwing light available, but it's good for 250 yards or so on a clear dark night.
Not sure how far you want your light to throw?

The ones listed by outdoorsman5 are a good list, for chinese lights.

Be aware that as you get more throw, you either use more power(less battery life), or get larger in size(more batteries or bigger reflector), and you may get a much narrower and less useful beam overall(aspherics and pencil-beam lights).
So, you need to do your research.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Pops,
Go to goingear.com & check out their video review of each of these lights. That will get you headed in the right direction & increase your knowledge quick. It helps you to choose when you can see em rather than just reading about em.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't advocate the Hound Dog as the farthest throwing light available, but it's good for 250 yards or so on a clear dark night.
Not sure how far you want your light to throw?

The ones listed by outdoorsman5 are a good list, for chinese lights.

Be aware that as you get more throw, you either use more power(less battery life), or get larger in size(more batteries or bigger reflector), and you may get a much narrower and less useful beam overall(aspherics and pencil-beam lights).
So, you need to do your research.

Thanks, I've been reading an looking at video reviews, n' figured I'd ask y'all for your recommendations as well!

Hey Pops,
Go to goingear.com & check out their video review of each of these lights. That will get you headed in the right direction & increase your knowledge quick. It helps you to choose when you can see em rather than just reading about em.

Thanks, way ahead of you on this one ... :laughing: ... After looking at Marshall's video reviews (as well as his competative pricing), I purchased both the G5, M30, batteries and charger from him! Even if he was a bit higher, I'd give him my business. Because I appreciate his time and salesmanship!

Pops