Sunwayman V10R - titanium v. aluminum performance

zorro

Newly Enlightened
New member. I have a question about the different versions (Aluminum and Titanium) of the Sunwayman V10R.

Based on the Sunwayman website, they seem to have the same performance specs, including a brightness range from 1 to 210 lumens. However, I saw (I believe on GoingGear's video) a report that the Ti version will go to a significantly lower, almost undetectable, brightness level than the aluminum (black) version.

Is there actually a difference in performance between the two versions?

All things being equal, I'd be inclined to go with the cheaper aluminum version, but the capability to go near zero brightness would make a difference. Any insights appreciated.

Zorro

al93535

Newly Enlightened
I JUST got the aluminum version as was nervous as well because I love a low low. I compared the minimum brightness to my HDS 170 at the lowest level, .08 lumens. They were spot on identical. So the aluminum version goes down to about .1 lumens or so.

Excellent light by the way!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimum level of my Al V10R is so low that at least for me it is totally useless. I can't even read the time during the night. :rolleyes:

BTW Zorro: :welcome:

wuyeah

Enlightened
Adding to the question too. The other day I put V10R Ti on High for 30+ min. The whole body gets super hot. Under the same condition will Al version A) equally Hot B) Ti will be more hot C) Al will be more hot ?

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
This is very interesting, specs right from www.sunwayman.com

V10R Ti

Features
● CREE R5 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;
● Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, Infinite Variable Output Switch- slightly twist the Rotator Ring from left to right for Min to Max output.
Max: 210 Lumens (1.5hrs)
Min: 1 Lumen (35hrs)
● Constant current circuit, constant output
● Effective range of 130 meters
● Uses one single CR123A Lithium battery
● Working voltage: 0.9~4.2V
● High quality reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimensions: 82mm (length) x 23mm (head diameter)
● Weight: 69g(battery excluded)
● Titanium alloy body
● Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tactical forward click switch with momentary on
● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
● Accessories: Clip, O-ring, rubber cap, lanyard

V10R Aluminum

Features
● Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, Infinite Variable Output Switch- slightly twist the Rotator Ring from left to right for Min to Max output.
Max: 210 Lumens (2 hrs)
Min: 1 Lumen (100 hrs)
● Uses one 3V CR123A battery (Lithium)
● High quality reflector maintains both great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimension: 82.8 mm (length) x 23.2mm (head diameter)
● Weight: 46g(battery excluded)
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
● Military Specification Type III hard anodized body
● Ultra-clear toughened glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tail stand capable - can be used as a candle
● Accessories: metal clip, O-ring, rubber cap, lanyard

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highlighted the differences I see below. Clearly the Ti version can use rcr123 cells while the aluminum version only says 3V cells. The larger working voltage range in the Ti version would account for the efficiency loss.

V10R Ti

Features
● Effective range of 130 meters
Uses one single CR123A Lithium battery
● Working voltage: 0.9~4.2V
● High quality reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimensions: 82mm (length) x 23mm (head diameter)
● Weight: 69g(battery excluded)
● Titanium alloy body
● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tactical forward click switch with momentary on
● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
● Accessories: Clip, O-ring, rubber cap, lanyard

V10R Aluminum

Features
Uses one 3V CR123A battery (Lithium)
● High quality reflector maintains both great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
● Dimension: 82.8 mm (length) x 23.2mm (head diameter)
● Weight: 46g(battery excluded)
● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
● Military Specification Type III hard anodized body
● Ultra-clear toughened glass lens resists scratches and impacts
● Tail stand capable - can be used as a candle
● Accessories: metal clip, O-ring, rubber cap, lanyard

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highlighted the differences I see below. Clearly the Ti version can use rcr123 cells while the aluminum version only says 3V cells. The larger working voltage range in the Ti version would account for the efficiency loss.

Whatever may be written on the Sunwayman website, please note that the V10R Aluminum's User Manual says: Working Voltage 0.9 - 4.2 V

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
That's not true. There have been different revisions of the circuit. Check out goinggears review . The Ti version very clearly HAD a lower low. I say had because other uses have confirmed newer versions where the aluminum version goes just as low. I want one but not knowing which version I may get puts Me off.

Edit: this is in response to the person who said the only difference is the shell

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like quite a difference in run times also. Why is that?

V10R Ti

Features

V10R Aluminum

Features

zorro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the insights.

A. Based on this I'm prepared to bet now that the Aluminum version has similar low-light output to Ti -- certainly low enough for me -- and that early differences were probably related to variations in initial production runs.

B. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Has anyone done a head-to-head comparison of V10R with Nitecore Infilux IFE1? Nitecore advertises [a] 220 m range and 260 lumen output for the IFE1, which sounds good, but has that been verified by actual measurement and/or comparison? Also, [c] I've seen that some people have not liked the way the infilux ring operates, particularly at low output level. Is there a comparison with how Sunwayman works?

2. Sunwayman makes a Ti extender which allows use of an AA battery in place of cr123 in the V10R ti. This fits the aluminum version as well (per "Sunwayman v10R Al plus titanium AA extender" thread, started by Joe Talmadge). [a] Are there any corrosion/oxidation concerns with combining these two metals? Any indication Sunwayman will make an aluminum extender?

C. On battery types, there is another thread in which Sunwayman confirms that both Ti and Al versions can use rechargeable 123s. ("Sunwayman V10R and V10R Ti battery types?" thread, started by Burntrice.)

Last edited:

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Looks like quite a difference in run times also. Why is that?

V10R Ti

Features

V10R Aluminum

Features

I saw this also, wondering if this is just a typo.

zorro

Newly Enlightened
Could the different runtimes reflect the Al version running cooler over long periods, because of better heat-sinking?

Ways

Newly Enlightened
Measured the current draw on lowest setting on my v10r ti at 17.4ma. Assuming 1500mah capacity in a fresh CR123 cell it should give substantially more runtime than 35hrs on min!

Titanium81

Newly Enlightened
Measured the current draw on lowest setting on my v10r ti at 17.4ma. Assuming 1500mah capacity in a fresh CR123 cell it should give substantially more runtime than 35hrs on min!

So is that 1500mah / 17.4ma = 86.20Hours(3.59Days)? On the lowest setting for the V10R Ti?