Alternative to N30 HID

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

A few years ago, I had an N30 (amondotech / titanium innovations) HID flashlight. While I loved the powerful output, I had some problems with the battery and it was of course a bit clunky.

With many moons having passed since then, I'm sure flashlights have evolved as well :) ...would anyone have a recommendation for a flashlight with an equally strong output? Ideally LED, but if that's not possible (and apologies if it's in fact a stupid question), HID would still be fine, I guess.

Thanks a lot!

conquer

Banned
Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70 would both be good replacements. Not quite as bright but in real life terms pretty comparable, and with the benefits of instant on.

Olight SR90 is very hard to beat IMO.

Enlightened
Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70 would both be good replacements. Not quite as bright but in real life terms pretty comparable, and with the benefits of instant on.

Olight SR90 is very hard to beat IMO.

Just last night we had a meetup (pjandyho and triode888), we were able to cast a spot 530m away with the TK70, but another building 650m it was quite pretty difficult to make out the hotspot already. I'd like to think SR90 is around the same class.

The amondotech 3152 (literally identical to the N30 host) with 55W ballast hit 1.45km (pjandyho if you are reading this, that building in bt UOB and OUB is called Singapore Land Tower LOL! :D)

Condition is typical bright city skyline.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
thanks a lot for the recommendation. I just did some research on both the TK70 and the Olight SR90. It seems as though the TK70 is the clear winner:

- less expensive
- less heavy
- longer runtime
- wider beam

Or did I not do my research thorough enough? :) ...happy to hear why Conquer, you prefer the Olight.

...btw, this is where I compared beam: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...70-TK41-vs-Olight-SR90-M3X-vs-24W-and-35W-HID!

Last edited:

Enlightened
The Olight SR90 probably throws a wee bit farther based on photos and lux readings at a distance (I measured at 50m). Throwers are supposed to be measured as far as possible. I am not sure how much "lumens" it has after a run of 10 mins, but it might be quite a bit lower than the TK70.

You can get the TK70 for $183 delivered (registered air mail) from hkequipment. If you already have a hobby charger then you really are already in biz by adding batteries. Still no 100% confirmation if it can work for long periods on 2 x 32600 Li Co cells with the main tube (3 cells) plus a dummy cell acting as a spacer. But that option is really for the advanced guys.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
If you already have a hobby charger then you really are already in biz by adding batteries. Still no 100% confirmation if it can work for long periods on 2 x 32600 Li Co cells with the main tube (3 cells) plus a dummy cell acting as a spacer. But that option is really for the advanced guys.

Yeah, 'advanced' certainly doesn't describe me :) ...in fact, I'm glad you brought up the question around batteries. I was looking them up and e.g. on battery junction they recommend 4 NiMh D cell batteries. However, I also saw that there are alternatives. What do I need to look for when ordering them for the TK70? (which currently is my favorite, unless someone makes a strong case for the SR90 or another alternative in a similar price range...)

conquer

Banned
Or did I not do my research thorough enough? :) ...happy to hear why Conquer, you prefer the Olight.

Olight is better quality.

Comes with battery pack already, so you can re-charge it easily, can re-charge it in a vehicle, can run it on a spare battery while charging another off the light.

Heatsinking is far better. Stays cooler, feels much more substantial.

Wider spill area. Much wider. All round nicer beam, with well defined circles for hotspot and spill. Fenix is overlapping type, not as nice.

Olight comes with a metal case, better shoulder strap.

Button operates better on the SR90, soft click never fails to work, unlike the Fenix which needs the odd second press.

Much more metal to the Olight, deeper walls, knurling, chunkier. Not as long. Fenix has very thin walls.

Not any old D cells will work in the Fenix. Need good quality cells which are not easy to find and you need a good quality charger, which is not cheap.

These reasons come to mind.

Don't get me wrong, the Fenix is a great light, massive output and low price.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for listing the advantages of the SR90. Agree on the better, chunkier design and the nicer beam. Not sure about the spill, however (perhaps it's a question of definition). When looking at the comparison pictures in the post I referred to above, the TK70 seems to do a better job at illuminating a wider area (as opposed to one narrow spot). Wouldn't you agree? Coming in at half the price and half the weight seem to complete the argument pro TK70.

conquer

Banned
Thanks for listing the advantages of the SR90. Agree on the better, chunkier design and the nicer beam. Not sure about the spill, however (perhaps it's a question of definition). When looking at the comparison pictures in the post I referred to above, the TK70 seems to do a better job at illuminating a wider area (as opposed to one narrow spot). Wouldn't you agree? Coming in at half the price and half the weight seem to complete the argument pro TK70.

There is a side by side beam pic in the TK70 thread on a wall which shows the SR90 has far wider spill.

Price comparison is a bit pointless unless you already own 4 good NiMH D cells and a good multi charger?

The Olight is more expensive but you are getting more. Battery pack and charger included. Not included with the TK70.

The Fenix is brighter, no question. Just not as much in real life to your eyes as you might think. When you look at them in real life they are pretty similar.

You can feel the 300g of weight difference. Doesn't sound like much but hold both and you can tell without doubt the SR90 is heavier. Depends on your intended use as to how much you this matters to you. More heatsinking = more weight though.

uknewbie

Banned
TK70leftSR90right.jpg

Fenix TK70 - Olight SR90

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... you're not making this decision easier :)

SR90 is quite expensive, while the TK70 is just huuuuge.

Is there potentially a third option that I haven't considered yet? A light that has a similar brightness to the two above while being in shorter than the TK70 and in a price range of max. $200-300?

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, uknewbie. I was looking referring to the following pictures from jirik cz:

Fenix TK70
fenixtk70nimh.jpg

Olight SR90
olightsr90.jpg

...where the Fenix clearly wins over the Olight in terms of spill.

uknewbie

Banned
Thanks, uknewbie. I was looking referring to the following pictures from jirik cz:

Fenix TK70
fenixtk70nimh.jpg

Olight SR90
olightsr90.jpg

...where the Fenix clearly wins over the Olight in terms of spill.

The TK70 has a larger hot spot, which is what those pictures show.

If you look at the outer edges, you will see the Olight has a wider spill area.

Both fine choices I think.

Do you already have D cells and a charger?

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
The TK70 has a larger hot spot, which is what those pictures show.

If you look at the outer edges, you will see the Olight has a wider spill area.

Both fine choices I think.

Do you already have D cells and a charger?

Ah, I see. I was confusing the hot spot with the spill area. I now see what you mean.

Don't have D cells and a charger, but saw both on eBay. 4 x Tenergy Premium Line 10,000mah NiMH Rechargeable Batteries for about $28, and a matching charger for about $10. So not really a big budget position.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
...btw, I just stumbled across a great site comparing beamshot and sizes of all suspects :) including Olight SR51, Olight SR90, Olight SR91, Olight SR92, Fenix Tk60, Fenix TK70.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot 14 big lights 2011-08 UK.html

This comparison actually showed that the SR92 could be a very good alternative. It's smaller, lighter, and (slightly) cheaper than the SR90, and significantly smaller than the TK70. At the same time, the output seems pretty comparable.

uknewbie

Banned
I would not buy any $10 charger, that cannot be good. My charger was £90 (GBP)

The SR92 is a good light I think. Probably a bit floodier than the SR90, but similar output, and smaller. Added bonus it can fit in it's case without being taken apart.

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
I would not buy any $10 charger, that cannot be good. My charger was £90 (GBP)

£90? That's a lot... I thought charger is charger... and don't care if it takes a bit longer. I guess there must be other differences? Btw, the voltage here is 220-240V - will that be a problem when buying an Olight in the U.S.?

Man, if I indeed get a flashlight for $370, I'll have to tell my wife it was not more than $100 - and she'll still think I'm crazy :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK70 is many times better for various reasons, check vinnynguyen thread on 1000 plus lumen beamshots

uknewbie

Banned
The TK70 is many times better for various reasons, check vinnynguyen thread on 1000 plus lumen beamshots

Many times better than what, for what reasons if you please?

I own both a TK70 and SR90 and think they both have their strengths, the Olight being my favourite.

I would not say there is one clear winner, that is mostly personal preferences.