New S/F P6 owner with Torch Lab triple drop in needs advice please.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Hello, hope this post is in the right place. I have just received my modified 6P with Torch Lab 1100 lumen 3 power level triple XP-G drop in, as seen from Oveready with beefed up tail switch and it is bored to accept 18650 cells. I was advised to run it on AW IMR 16340 cells to reach maximum power. I put two of these new cells in the light and it runs very bright indeed. I have been very careful to only give it full beans for a couple of mins at a time as it starts to heat up quick. After only 90 secs the light loses one of the power levels dropping to only two settings, medium and what looks like 90 percent full power when cool.

Please can anyone provide me with any tips or helpful nuggets of advice? I know a little about lights but as you can probably tell I am pretty ignorant regarding modified flashlights.

I want to know which cells are the best to use in this light if I want to make the most of this drop ins power? I am not so concerned about running times, I would rather use this light for short, full power blasts. I have an Ultrafire WF139 charger and the aforementioned Orange AW cells. Do I need 18650 cells?

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a pair of AW18350 cells since your light is bored for 18mm. Much better cells and more runtime. Another option is to run it on a single 18650 only. It will be direct drive and around 800 lumens instead of 1000. You would barely notice the difference. You would get around an hour of runtime on the single 18650 vs. about 30 min on the 18350's. Your best setup is to run 2x18500 or 2x18650 for the triples if you can get the right bored body. A bored 9P is ideal for the 18500's or a fivemega body in the right length for either battery config.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+1 on the 18350's

You should not be seeing an output drop even past 10 continous minutes. Assuming the cells are healthy (do you have others to try?), it may be an issue with the driver. Consider contacting us directly to work through possible causes/solutions.

Last edited:

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the replys, i had strong feelings that i may have to run the light on a 18650 cell and balance the loss of lumens against increased runtime and reliability/stability. I understand that the light will prob only pump out 800 or so lumens when giving it the full beans but it would be difficult to notice the difference as said in the reply.

Thanks for chiming in ElectronGuru, the cells are brand new and i have tried 2 sets that i have charged/discharged 2 times before using them. I am not suggesting in any way that the light engine is faulty as i simply do not know enough about lights to know if i am using the right cells in the right way. I will accept your offer of help and contact you directly.

Thanks again gentlemen.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, your triple xpg should be able to run much longer than that even on 2 imr 16340s. I've ran that setup a few times and it's lasted a lot longer than 90 seconds on high. Maybe the thermal safety is kicking in for some reason? The drop-in should fit pretty snugly in a p60 surefire host without any shims unless if the host for some reason or another is modified. No worries though. The folks at Oveready are top notch at everything. Including customer service.