Sold my motorcycle today

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally made up my mind to sell my Suzuki Bandit.

My wife hated it. One of her friends, a co-worker is in a nursing home because of a drunk hitting the bike she was on. I'd seen too many post-accident injuries to know that they were never as safe as I told myself, and I could use the money.

So I Drove the bike down to the dealership in Austin the "back way" through Florence. Beautiful weather, little traffic on an early Friday afternoon.

The wind was rushing and trees where whizing by. The sky was perfect and the air had just a hint of a chill. I had that feeling I haven't had in a long time--I was free.

Gliding along at 75, I check the road ahead and mirrors behind--no cars anywhere. Hitting a straightaway I drop down a gear and crank the throttle back. If not for a good grip I'd be flying off the back--75 to 130 mph in mere seconds. I quickly drop back into the legal speed limit.

Then I hit I-35 and the accompanying Friday rushour traffic. I get pelted by a few pebbles and dust off the back of a semi. Lady in a mini-van cuts me off. She probably didn't see me--I'm invisible you know.

Off 35 and into Austin. God, my hand hurts from pulling the clutch in so many times. Someone's burning oil and it's noxious. My visor's splattered with bugs which wiping with my hand only smears into an opaque mulitcolor cataract.

I finally get to the dealership. He cuts me the check and I wait for my ride. I change out of my riding gear. The past 30 minutes in Austin remind me why I'm getting rid of the bike--dangerous and inconvenient.

My ride finally shows up.

As we're pulling away and past the row of bikes, she asks which one in the line up used to be mine. I point to the silver Suzuki 1200 Bandit. "It's been lowered about 2 inches so it sits low," I told her. It's the sharpest looking one on the lot. Looks custom--polished rims, all extraneous lettering removed, low profile signals, Holeshot performance pipe and a stage 1 jet kit. I feel a twinge of guilt as we pull away.

I kinda put the whole thing out of my mind while we drive back towards home. I enjoy the company and conversation. Not once did I mention the bike.

I get to the house and open the garage, wondering for a second why it seems larger than I remember. There's a big open spot next to the car where the Bandit used to sit. That's when some of the feelings started to come back. The ride down to Austin, the feeling of freedom; just me, the bike and the road--connected. Driving down to I35 was one of the nicest rides I've had in a while--a good last ride.

I'm really going to miss my motorcycle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

-Jason

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about that... I don't think my wife would be too happy, and I'm going to put that money into a new car/suv for me in the spring.

I have always liked the late model BMW R1150 RT and RS. Maybe, just maybe I can get her to appreciate the finer things in life--namely Teutonic craftmanship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

Saaby

Flashaholic
Just get a german (Or heaven forbid, Swedish) Car. Heck, get a convertable. Get a Saab 9-3 convertable! There ya go!

onelight

Enlightened
Riding is an addiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gifgoodby Bandit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gifhello RT

Skyline

Enlightened
I've never ridden a motorcycle, but I've been wanting to learn to ride for some time now. The only thing that holds me back is the little voice in my head that says "yergonnadie". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So..it's an understandable choice that you made. Recently my friend sold his Suzuki GXR1000 because he started scaring himself.

Have you considered getting a roadster? No, it still won't be a bike... but it might give you some of the freedom while being safer? The Lotus Elise is come to the USA mid 2004, and it's about the closest you'll get to a race car in a production vehicle.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

I know I want one. UK spec is 156 bhp, 1773 lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
hubba-hubba! nice car!

My wife's car (that I drive now that she's deployed) is a '02 Passat. If we get a chance to PCS to Germany, then it's gonna be a Benz and a BMW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Who gets which will be decided by an all out wrassalin' match. Already did it once over the remote--I won by a very small margin. No, I'm serious...

If we stay here in the States, I wanted to get an SUV for utility's sake, but the new Mazda RX-8 looks so damn hot! And the new "Z". Not that I'd be allowed to actually buy one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif
I know it's illegal to speed, but going from 0-60 in race-car fasion always makes me smile.

-Jason

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason,
PCS to Germany would be a nice change of pace for you. I have been to and through Germany many times over the years, always nice to walk around in the towns. I was there a few weeks in early April this year and it snowed. Finally had a Guiness on tap... drink it or use it for an oil change?
Before you buy your vehicle, make sure it can be changed to Euro spec... go to Germany now before all the bases are gone.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have a couple of convertibles. Not the same thing. I have had a bike since I was six and am now pushing 40. Don't think I could live without one. If it weren't for wives and girlfriends, not sure there would be much of an aftermarket for motorcycles.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bigcozy said:
If it weren't for wives and girlfriends, not sure there would be much of an aftermarket for motorcycles.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

BentheadTX--I've only been there once for training and I'd love to go back. I don't think I'd bring back any European cars to the States, too much hassle--that's what the Lemon Lot's for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Had a lady that didn't like me ridding my bike......

So I got a new lady!

Life if full of risks, ridding is one that I put a lot of effort into. I refer to it as "the game of death", and I am "it".

Moat

Enlightened
No need to quit living, for fear of dying, I say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Motorcycling is as dangerous as a rider allows it to be, for the most part.

The additional skills and concentration (meditation?) required to operate a cycle in comparative safety (say, to an automobile) create a set of challenges that I find endlessly enjoyable to work on - just one of the many, fulfilling reasons I choose to ride.

Bob

LED-FX

Enlightened
Don`t know about US. but here in UK bike market is kept afloat by returning motorcyclists and older new recruits.

Someone saw yesterday was returning to bikes with Ducati 907 first bike he has ridden since 1983 when he had an XS1100.

Mechanic I know started this summer at 40 with a Bandit 600 and has just got a VFR1000.

Ive had bikes since I was 17 and no intention of giving up just yet, but dry summer days only to be honest...

Adam

WHODYATHINK

Newly Enlightened
I had converted a Honda XR 600R to street use last year, It was a lot of fun, but only went 70 mph. After I sold it I rode my friends GSXR and went 70 in 2nd gear, I won't disclose my top speed, but I ran out of nerve before I ran out of throttle, yikes. I want one real bad, but I don't think I have the appropriate fear of injury to own one, yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:.....but the new Mazda RX-8 looks so damn hot! -Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't swing an RX-8, Look for a restored RX-7 first gen. Damn good car.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
I finally made up my mind to sell my Suzuki Bandit...The wind was rushing and trees where whizing by. The sky was perfect and the air had just a hint of a chill. I had that feeling I haven't had in a long time--I was free... There's a big open spot next to the car where the Bandit used to sit. That's when some of the feelings started to come back. The ride down to Austin, the feeling of freedom; just me, the bike and the road--connected....

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautifully written, nostalgia-inducing post. Makes me start dreaming of my days of youth and freedom in Aspen; the beautiful empty (in those days) Colorado roads, mountains, alpine meadows, no helmet, invulnerable, wine, women, song...........

Brightnorm

Nick B

Newly Enlightened
If you are having problems with a lady friend who does not like motorcycles I have a perfect solution for you.

Do as I did and find a lady who has more motorcycles than you do.

M

MeridianTactical

To bad on the loss... I'm a long time bike nut!!! I just bought my first HD. My Ex hated bikes and still does... But Its MY life and I want to do what makes me happy, not just her. She delt with it. but never rode on it. The people I date now LOVE the fact I have a bike and jump at the chance to go for a spin.

Its sometimes a bit scary, I'm up here in MA. People are jerks in cars... And I even ride in Boston, not just back roads.

Its a risk, but like 9/11. It shows you you have no control any place any time...

Chris

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
....and i'm still saving up to get my first bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif