Looking for a mid-range 1AA led light with clip

speedsix

Enlightened
I recently lost my Energizer 1W which you guys recommended a year ago for what I wanted. It was a great light for work and served me well.

I loved the single mode forward clicky. I loved the throw. I loved the pocket clip. I loved how easy it was to clip on my pocket, no fiddling. I loved the really long battery life. I loved the decent amount of light it put out. I loved that it was a single AA. I loved that it was grippy yet smooth enough to slide in and out of my pocket.

I didn't love that it sometimes started to not work in the last month or so. It would act like there was a loose connection sometimes. I also didn't love the fairly fat body but that is not a deal killer. There are slimmer AA lights out there so I would prefer something slimmer.

So, I am looking for a 1AA with pocket clip and mostly throw. I want a quality upgrade from the Energizer so price range $20-60 is what I am after. The Energizer was $17 at Target so I want to spend a bit more and upgrade to a more reliable light.

Right now the one on my radar is the Fenix LD10. Let me know if there is a reason that wouldn't be right for me.

I just bought a Zebralight H51 and it is cool but has some issues that keep me from carrying it at work like what I want this light for.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my LD10 for a long time but now that I have also a Klarus P1A I tend to prefer the latter for its simpler UI and just two levels without disco modes.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the new Olight i2 EOS 75-lumen XP-G AA flashlight.
It is an updated version of the very popular ITP model which was made for ITP by Olight anyway.
It's a multi-mode twisty with good spacing of low-med-hi. Very decent runtimes. Small.
They have added a nice screwed-on clip that looks sturdy, and added Type III Hard Anodizing for durability.
A quick Google search found one brand-new for under $25.

speedsix

Enlightened
Have a look at the new Olight i2 EOS 75-lumen XP-G AA flashlight.
It is an updated version of the very popular ITP model which was made for ITP by Olight anyway.
It's a multi-mode twisty with good spacing of low-med-hi. Very decent runtimes. Small.
They have added a nice screwed-on clip that looks sturdy, and added Type III Hard Anodizing for durability.
A quick Google search found one brand-new for under $25.

I have the AAA version and I am impressed with the brightness and quality but it is a twist not clicky. For EDC I need a click for speed. If they made that with a clicky, I would buy it for sure.

speedsix

Enlightened
I have used my LD10 for a long time but now that I have also a Klarus P1A I tend to prefer the latter for its simpler UI and just two levels without disco modes.

I have never heard of the Klarus but it looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Great suggestion! Got to do a bit of research but it looks like I will buy one of them unless another light beats it that I don't know about. I like the reasonable $38 price as well! I tend to lose lights and sunglasses so I don't like to spend big bucks on them. I want quality but if and when I lose it, I don't want to lose a $200 light

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought but if you consider getting another Energizer (and Target still caries them around here for about $15.50) just put a little DeOxit Gold on the contacts and both ends of the battery. It sounds like it was just some oxidation in your light. That has happened to a few of the ones I have owned. Easy fix for a better than just OK and still inexpensive light. I EDC one and I've had much "better" lights that have not drawn anywhere near the attention the Energizer gets from non-flashlight type people. Plus, if I lose one of those I get less upset about it.

Last edited:

speedsix

Enlightened
Just a thought but if you consider getting another Energizer (and Target still caries them around here for about $15.50) just put a little DeOxit Gold on the contacts and both ends of the battery. It sounds like it was just some oxidation in your light. That has happened to a few of the ones I have owned. Easy fix for a better than just OK and still inexpensive light. I EDC one and I've had much "better" lights that have not drawn anywhere near the attention the Energizer gets from non-flashlight type people. Plus, if I lose one of those I get less upset about it.

Thanks for the tip. I really liked the no-nonsense Energizer 1W and will prob pick up one next time I see one just to have a backup around.

I did just buy a Klarus P1A from a guy on the marketplace forum for $30 shipped for a new in box one that he said he didn't like as much as the 2AA version.

I am going to buy at least one more so keep the suggestions coming. Always looking for the perfect light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you might want to give the Streamlight ProTac EMS a looksee. It is a 1 AA rear clicky with two-way clip. It has a three mode UI with 3.6, 10, and 50 lm modes, in that order. I have been carrying mine as my EDC for about a month or so now, and often forget it is in my pocket. I picked mine up at LAPG for about $35.00.

speedsix

Enlightened
The Quark Tactical has too many modes. I find more than 2 modes to be a hassle. I am perfectly happy with one or two modes.

The Streamlight looks good. I like the looks of it and will look into that one further. I like the $35 price as well. Since I tend to lose lights before they wear out, I like to keep the price under $60 or so.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark Tactical has too many modes. I find more than 2 modes to be a hassle. I am perfectly happy with one or two modes.

The Quark Tactical has just two modes, one is active with the head tight and the other with the head loose. The difference is that each one of the two modes can be set by the user at a level he likes.

speedsix

Enlightened
The Quark Tactical has just two modes, one is active with the head tight and the other with the head loose. The difference is that each one of the two modes can be set by the user at a level he likes.

Oh, that sounds good.

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you might want to give the Streamlight ProTac EMS a looksee. It is a 1 AA rear clicky with two-way clip. It has a three mode UI with 3.6, 10, and 50 lm modes, in that order. I have been carrying mine as my EDC for about a month or so now, and often forget it is in my pocket. I picked mine up at LAPG for about $35.00.

I just ordered one last week. Well, the Protac 1AA from Amazon for $35 shipped. 50 lm high, 6 lm low and strobe.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Ultrafire BJ08A (Google it). It's about $16 and can use either 1 AA or a single 14500. It's single mode with a XR-E in it so it throws well. Output is somewhere between 100 and 200 lumens.

It's well made.

Wrend

Enlightened
Have you looked at the 4sevens Quark AA tactical?

I recently picked up the R5 version of one of these. Definitely a nice little AA light. I like that it'll run off of a Li-ion 14500 should I ever want it to for more than double the output in max mode, or I can lego the 2AA body for more output too (the other bright/dim modes are regulated to have the same output regardless of battery voltage).

On mine I typically have high on tight, and moonlight on loose. It's bright enough on high, and I leave it there should I need sufficient light right away, but I'll move it over to moonlight if I just need to find my way down a hall at night, or the like.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that sounds good.
I recommend the Quark tactical as well. It's got simple fun programming that is effective and the clip is good IMO. I have a few of them only I purchased a flush switch for most of mine so they can tailstand.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Romisens on Shiningbeam's site. They're good little lights that run in the $25 range. Most are single mode or two modes, and come in AA, 123, or 18650 formats. A few of their models have two body tubes so you can run either 2xAA or 1x123.