Love my TK35! Amusing story.

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to those on this forum who suggested that I get the TK35! It is awesome! Even my wife was impressed by the brightness despite knowing that the light cost 110 dollars. I found a mount that securely attaches it to my mountain bike and was using it last night. My 6 y/o daughter and my wife were on their bikes in front if me. When I turned on the TK35, my daughter frantically asked: "Mommy, is there a car behind me!?". My wife sighed and said: "No, it's just daddy.". If anyone's interested in the mount, I'll take pics and post it. It's sold on amazon for less than 8 bucks. Actually made for another light but three cable ties later, it holds the TK35 very well.

Acid87

Enlightened
flipangle said:
Thanks to those on this forum who suggested that I get the TK35! It is awesome! Even my wife was impressed by the brightness despite knowing that the light cost 110 dollars. I found a mount that securely attaches it to my mountain bike and was using it last night. My 6 y/o daughter and my wife were on their bikes in front if me. When I turned on the TK35, my daughter frantically asked: "Mommy, is there a car behind me!?". My wife sighed and said: "No, it's just daddy.". If anyone's interested in the mount, I'll take pics and post it. It's sold on amazon for less than 8 bucks. Actually made for another light but three cable ties later, it holds the TK35 very well.

Get the photo up please. This might be my next light and would be quite interested in a bike mount solution.
Steven

fl0t

Enlightened
A little off topic here: I always liked the TK35 since it first came out. But I wonder about waterproof ability. How is it with the plastic part on the back for the two buttons?

tomwoh

Newly Enlightened
Would love to see your mount, I use it for MTB also, but my hacked together mount is somewhat flimsy and it bounces around. Great Light

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Here's the story. I originally bought this for my bike:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003905I7S/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Thought the output was bad so I bought the TK35. Couldn't figure out how to mount the TK35 but the my brother-in-law had the idea of using the mount that came with the light. I slid the original light off the mount, put the TK on top of the mount, and secured it with 3 cable ties. Rock solid. The only downside is that I can't slide the light all the way to the center where the stem joins the handlebar. This is because my handlebar get fat towards the center so the clamp won't fit it.

I believe that this is the same mount that came with the light except it's sold separately. (Just ordered this stand alone mount. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't confirm this yet.). Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z7VCK2/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It's sold by amazon. Get it. If it doesn't work for your bike, you could always return it. Good luck.

a4b3821f.jpg

b26367d2.jpg

Last edited:

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Any question, feel free to ask me. Glad to help. This is exciting stuff for me since it makes mounting flat odd shaped torches possible.

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
A little off topic here: I always liked the TK35 since it first came out. But I wonder about waterproof ability. How is it with the plastic part on the back for the two buttons?

Supposed to be waterproof to 2 meters for 30 minutes, I believe. How that translates into being in a torrential downpour for a few hours, I have no idea. I'll get out of the rain before the light breaks down, I figure.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any question, feel free to ask me. Glad to help. This is exciting stuff for me since it makes mounting flat odd shaped torches possible.

Hi! Nice setup you have. I wonder which brightness mode you usually use with it? The highest mode will be like a car headlight but will be expensive with CR123 cells. For the moment I use Fenix HP10 headlamp for cycling light but think it should be fun to have also a light on the handlebars. My Malkoff Wildcat gen1 would be excellent for the purpose but with high mode it will be too expensive more than very short time.

Last edited:

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I like the funny story. I've thought about buying the TK35 for sometime now. I was wondering how well the flashlight handled the heat. Does the head get very hot? I suspect that if the TK35 doesn't dissipate the heat enough, the life of the bulb would be shortened. How long do you ride with the TK35 on high? :)

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
I always use it on turbo. I figure if you have it why not use it. The only time it turn it down is when there are pedestrians or other bikers coming towards me. I don't want to blind them. I bought 4 rechargeable 18650's. Always have an extra fully charged pair with me in case I run out of juice.

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
I like the funny story. I've thought about buying the TK35 for sometime now. I was wondering how well the flashlight handled the heat. Does the head get very hot? I suspect that if the TK35 doesn't dissipate the heat enough, the life of the bulb would be shortened. How long do you ride with the TK35 on high? :)

I've been riding only with my family so not any long rides. Our rides are about an hour but only the latter half hour is dark enough to need lighting. So it's been okay after half and hour on turbo. Warm, not hot. Will let you know if I get a longer ride in.

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
For those who are interested. I've confirmed that the mount sold separately is the exact same mount that came with my light. Also went back read the instructions that came with it. I would seem that it's adjustable such that I will be able to mount it on the fatter portion of the handlebar. Will try it today.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
LOL sweet! Looked like a car with HID's I bet none-the-less!

Very nice mount Thuan this looks really nice. SO nice it looks well integrated into the bike not just an afterthought.

So after using it for a while now do you think you could or would like to have more flood or is it floody enough? You got some great batteries and the killer Pila charger your set!

I'd be looking at some possible future candidates that run off a single 18650 so you can get full use out of them when riding weather isn't as available :)

Congrats sir!

flipangle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Dan! I like the way it looks too but I've ordered an SC600 to see which beam I like better. I may just keep both so that I'll REALLY look like a car.:)

This weekend I was riding along the beach. Although my setup with the TK35 was rock solid, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided that instead of attaching the TK35 directly to the mount via cable ties, I would attach it to a certain plastic mounting plate thingy that came with my Portland light. The plastic thingy would then be slipped on to the mount. This would allow me to detach and take my light with me whenever I wanted to without having to cut the cable ties or removing the mount from my handlebar. After setting everything up, I played around with it and noticed that there was some play between the mounting plate and the mount. That made me a little hesitant but I went ahead and tried out the new configuration. Everything was okay when I was riding around for the first 15 minutes or so. I then started to jump off curbs, just goofing around on my bike. After about the third curb, I heard a "thunk". My TK35 had actually fallen off the handlebar onto the concrete and I actually ran over it with my rear wheel!:eek: The light was still attached to the mount plate thingy but the plate had detached from my mount. I guess a "little" play was too much play! The good think is I picked it up and tested it; the light still worked fine!:twothumbs

Needless to say, I'm back to my first mounting configuration, attaching the light directly to the mount via cable ties. This mounting technique is rock solid, no movement whatsoever. At least I found out that my TK35 can take a beating!:laughing:

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Oh Lord haha! Kinda of like getting a new watch and greeting it with a hefty steel door frame bam! Yeah Fenix TK series are built like tanks hence TK :) They are very tough. Did the HA+ anodizing hold up as well?

I love the SC600 beam and imo I bet you'll like it better for riding....it'll be a wall of light perfect for seeing peripherally. So....your sc600 is your lowbeams and the tk35 your high beam....all you need is a 3000 kelvin LED foglight and your set :rock::lolsign: