• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

5 McGizmo Beamshot Review

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not so much a review. No intention of being verbose or adding a lot, other than the set up. Those of you who know me know that McGizmo lights are my favorites - USEFUL, beautiful tools that just work. I thought it might be fun this weekend to do a few beamshots since I am at my favorite place for such - our beach place!

All the details are in the photos. These are not shelf queens, but users - I have (along with my buddy Scout24) decided NO MORE SHELF QUEENS! Each of these lights finds its way into the rotation at one time or another.

My only commentary - these lights are all simply awesome. So is it worth it to invest this much money? Sure! They hold their value, are reliable, beautiful, and are sound investments...

Without further adieu:

For those of you who are impatient, and jump to the last page of the book, the following video gives a quick snapshot of the players on HIGH - following the video are more detailed beam shots.

Now the photos

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5647-1.jpg

IMG_5648-1.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5649-1.jpg

IMG_5650-1.jpg

IMG_5651-1.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5652-1.jpg

IMG_5653-1.jpg

IMG_5654-1.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5655-1.jpg

IMG_5656-1.jpg

IMG_5657-1.jpg

So I hope these are helpful to someone...if you own a McGizmo, you already 'know.' If you don't and are considering buying one, go ahead. It's a sound investment in quality that will bring you utility and enjoyment for years! And if you ever decide to sell it, you'll get the majority, if not all, of your investment back.

Thanks,Don, for keeping us flashaholics happy! :thumbsup:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, such powerful & beautiful beamshots. And impressive collection- now are all these models Ti only, or are any available in SS and/or Al as well? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing!

scout24

Flashaholic
I got my Haiku XP-G 3v Warm head in the mail today, (Yay!!!) and it looks like my faithful, well-used "regular" XP-G has some competition for pocket carry... Waiting for dark here to run them both through their paces. Awesome comparison shots! Many thanks for taking the time to do them, a great referenceas Drywolf said for those on the fence between emitters and tint in Don's lights...

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Thanks Dan :mad:, I was trying to hold off for a while :broke: but now you forced me to make another Mcgizmo purchase, that Haiku 6V XM-L is just too much to resist and I just happen to have an empty 2X123 pack lying around :eek:

Barbarian

Enlightened
Great service to CPF as usual Dan with your excellent comparison shots.

That Makai looks like it might start a fire with that intense hotspot!

carrot

Flashaholic
Nice pics... As the McGizmo faithful know... nothing else is quite like one of Don's creations.

DM51

Flashaholic
It will be a loss to the LED Flashlights section, but I am moving this thread to the McG sub-forum as I think it belongs there.

fyrstormer

Banned
Wow, such powerful & beautiful beamshots. And impressive collection- now are all these models Ti only, or are any available in SS and/or Al as well? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing!
They are only available in titanium. Stainless would be heavy and more likely to corrode, and aluminum would be very easily dented and scratched. Apparently, it's also very hard to turn a profit selling aluminum lights nowadays, with all the competition from inexpensive Asian factories.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are only available in titanium. Stainless would be heavy and more likely to corrode, and aluminum would be very easily dented and scratched. Apparently, it's also very hard to turn a profit selling aluminum lights nowadays, with all the competition from inexpensive Asian factories.

Yeah that's true aluminum & stainless steel are going to dent & rust right right up on you. I appreciate the info fyrstormer.

jag808808

Enlightened
Great beam shots run4jc! I have had the opportunity to play with those lights. Very impressive! The Makai 6V XM-L may be my next acquisition...

Aloha,

jag

stoli67

Enlightened
Wow.... the 2 x 123 XML is fantastic..... as is the Makai....

I have the Warm haiku already and need to decide on another XML Haiku or a Makai !

Is there a 1 x 123 XML shot....

On the video the 2 x 123 XML looks more floody than the Makai which has more throw but the XML still seems to throw a fair way.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a 1 x 123 XML shot....

On the video the 2 x 123 XML looks more floody than the Makai which has more throw but the XML still seems to throw a fair way.

I did not do a 1x123 beam shot(s) - darn, I wish I had. In my sphere, the Haiku XML and Makai XML both read 264 lumen on 1x123 (371 on 2x123). It's a difference that I can perceive slightly with my eyes - it would have been really interesting to see what the camera 'sees'. Oh, well - maybe next time I am at the beach house I'll add those shots - for now, sorry! An yes, the Haiku XML is more floody - it appears even more so to the eye than it appears in the camera, but I'm so pleased with the amount of good, useable spill the Makai XML has while producing an intense hot spot.

Just out of curiosity, how is that particular head designated? I'm seeing haiku heads without the fins. That one looks great.

Hmmm - I think all Haiku heads are identical. All 4 of mine are the same...just different reflector/emitter combinations.
Very very nice review!many thanks!:)
Thanks, Toby!

fyrstormer

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how is that particular head designated? I'm seeing haiku heads without the fins. That one looks great.
All Haiku heads look like that. If you see a head without fins, it's not a Haiku. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, or that it's inferior, just that it's a different design.

fyrstormer

Banned
...the Haiku XML is more floody - it appears even more so to the eye than it appears in the camera, but I'm so pleased with the amount of good, useable spill the Makai XML has while producing an intense hot spot.
Based on what I've seen, the Makai is best with an XM-L emitter and the Haiku is best with an XP-G emitter. (nothing wrong with XR-E's, of course, they're just obsolete now.) The Makai can use an XP-G as well, but it will have a very small hotspot compared to the XM-L and it won't produce as much light either. Likewise, the Haiku can use an XM-L emitter, but the reflector is too small to focus it very well and it's a very floody light. Running it on 2 cells can make up for that by increasing overall brightness, if you're okay with carrying a longer battery tube; that's more of a concern with the Haiku than the Makai, since the Makai's larger head lends itself more readily to a longer battery tube and outside-the-pocket carry anyway.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on what I've seen, the Makai is best with an XM-L emitter and the Haiku is best with an XP-G emitter. (nothing wrong with XR-E's, of course, they're just obsolete now.) The Makai can use an XP-G as well, but it will have a very small hotspot compared to the XM-L and it won't produce as much light either. Likewise, the Haiku can use an XM-L emitter, but the reflector is too small to focus it very well and it's a very floody light. Running it on 2 cells can make up for that by increasing overall brightness, if you're okay with carrying a longer battery tube; that's more of a concern with the Haiku than the Makai, since the Makai's larger head lends itself more readily to a longer battery tube and outside-the-pocket carry anyway.

Well put, and I agree 100%. But I actually enjoy the floody character of the Haiku XML - when I walk my dogs it provides a very nice, well lit area - intense light without being hard on my eyes. And as for the Makai XML, although I loved my original Makai, this light really comes into its own with the 6V XML. It's even great with only a 1x battery tube, but it's very well balanced with the 2x 123.