"Need" AA flashlight for the car. Narrowed it down......

Wrecked

Enlightened
Looking for an AA for the car and narrowed it down to these:

1. Thrunite Neutron AA2
2. Nitecore IFD2
3. Sunwayman V20A

Criteria - shaped like a Quark AA2 with an easy UI (variable preferred).

I really like the size, shape and feel of the Quark AA2 but I can't get passed the UI for both the tactical and regular models. I want something variable or that can easily go through 3 modes.

The Nitecore is really nice but it's dang expensive! I may have looked at the D20 but couldn't find it. I like the Sunwayman but I don't like the color. I want black. The Thrunite is nice and the UI isn't too bad (I like variable better).

So, any opinions in this comparison of lights?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the size, shape and feel of the Quark AA2 but I can't get passed the UI for both the tactical and regular models. I want something variable or that can easily go through 3 modes.

The Thrunite is nice and the UI isn't too bad (I like variable better).

So, any opinions in this comparison of lights?

Thanks!!
The UI on the Thrunite Neutron is pretty much the same as the UI on the Quark Regular line, however, it does feature mode memory when the head is loosened.

Wrecked

Enlightened
Would I notice the difference between the 210 lumens of the V20A and the 260 lumens of the IFD2?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would I notice the difference between the 210 lumens of the V20A and the 260 lumens of the IFD2?
I don't think you would notice a difference (I think the rule of thumb is multiply by 1.4 and you will see a barely perceivable difference).

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Looking for an AA for the car and narrowed it down to these:

1. Thrunite Neutron AA2
2. Nitecore IFD2
3. Sunwayman V20A

------
Whatever you leave in the car, make sure you put lithium batteries in it. Some years ago, I had a great deal of trouble cleaning the residue of two C cells out of my old Mag Light which had, over the winter, started leaking and corroding the flashlight. I was able to clean it up, but now every few weeks I take the batteries out and look at them to make sure I don't have a problem developing. A good way to kill time while waiting in the drive-through line (especially when I'm not driving).

Oh, also make sure that whoever borrows the car understands that the flashlight is not a $3.00 gas station special and must not be loaned out carelessly!

Bill

Wrecked

Enlightened
I have the sc51 and it's a great light but I'm looking for a 2aa for the car.

The D25s look interesting. Can't wait for a review!

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to make another thread for this, but what is the real difference between the V20a and the IFD2? They look 90 percent the same and the only difference in spec is that for whatever reason the Max output on the IFD2 is 230 lumens vs 210 on the V20a.

Is there anything I'm missing??

Another question, are these 2 lights still "current" or are there better 2aa ring adjustable lights out there now?

What I really want is an inline 3 or even 4 aa like my mag led. I like AA lights because I have hundreds of energizer lithiums and if I run out, any store carries them.

Thanks for any info guys!

EDIT - On the sunwayman site the V20a gets 2 hours at 210 lumens and 100 hours at 1 lumens, while the IFD2 gets 40 minutes at 230 lumens and 80 hours at .5 lumens. How does the V20a manage to get those improved run times? I assume they base these runtimes on typical alkalines. Also I heard that running some lights designed around typical alkalines with lithiums will mean the dimmest mode is notably brighter than it is with alkalines. Is this the case with these two lights?

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Shiningbeam.com Spark? 2AA with 3 modes, changed at the head. Just a thought.
Another possibility is the ITP C8. Although discontinued, it's still listed as available from aegisgear.com . 2AA with nice knurling and ramping up-down output by loosening the head.

Last edited:

Latest posts