Streamlight Stinger for $7.50?! need help info. is it worth fixing?

bigboyga

Newly Enlightened
i was at an auction tonight and bought a box lot because i seen a streamlight stinger at the bottom of the box. it is blue and well used, lots of scratches. serial3 1613426 after i got the box home i found the charger too!:thumbsup: buuuttt when i hooked it up to charge i notice that the charger status light was staying lit all the way. took the battery out and took the charger apart and then noticed that if i would unscrew the battery slightly the charger would charge. now i just checked and the light did charge and lights up actually. the lens is cracked in the center from high heat i suppose. what do you adise me to do. i need a new lens. but is the problem in the switch or battery or both. i took a screwdriver and scraped the end of the battery to ensure a good conection, but still iffy on the charge until i unscrewed the battery cap a half turn. what are my bulb options? are there better/brighter leds available? i love my 4d mag with 5c batts and the terralux bulb. where is the best place to buy a lens, brighter bulb?, and do i need a battery or a switch? or both. is this light worth the parts that i would invest into it?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, Streamlight has a rock solid warranty, I suggest you contact them, there is a possibility they will fix the entire light. The lens is plastic on the stingers, and would take quite an impact for this to crack, heat was not involved.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen Streamlight Stinger heads and bulbs for sale on ebay. If streamlight does not fix you up, ebay will. Streamlight chargers of that era kept the red light on all the time. The NiCd techology would stand the extra charge with no problem. After a long time, you may need a bulb an a battery, I don't know. You'll find a way to get that incandescent Streamlight up and running. I have a bunch of streamlights and find them highly reliable.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea Ni-Cads are like, the most resilient battery ever. They can withstand so much abuse and keep on going. You can overcharge them all day, that's nothing to Ni-Cads. You can leave them in a drawer for a year and then slowly charge them back and they are good as new. They are nothing like other rechargeable chemistries. Only problem with them is they are toxic. So when they finally die a death, dispose of them properly. I have Ni-Cads from the 90's that still work great. Can't say the same about NiMh or Li-Ions purchased only a few (or couple) years ago.

My electric shaver from 2000 still runs perfectly on its stock Ni-Cad batteries. And I've let it die SO many times or run it down to nothing and overcharged it all day accidently a hundred times as well. The stupid thing about that is, I took it apart a few years ago to see if I could "upgrade" the batteries to NiMh. Turns out the AA Ni-Cad cells were soldered in, so I decided not to mess with it and put it back together. If I have put some new NiMh cells in back then, I'm sure they would have been long DEAD by now. And their charge would have never lasted more than a few days before the shaver would be slowing down and dieing.

I used to run Panasonic (I think they were 1800mAh) Ni-Cads in my R/C cars back in the late 80's and early 90's and if I still had them, they'd probably still be running as well.

Last edited:

CamoNinja

Enlightened
Contact streamlight. Lifetime warranty. I picked up an old stinger out of a junk car and contacted via e-mail asking to buy parts. They asked me to send the light. They fixed it for free and sent it back. I contacted them last week asking to buy a rubber boot the light switch on my ultra stinger approx. a week later I had a new one free of charge.