I can see the.... Fog???

JacobJones

Enlightened
Well, when I got my fenix ld20 the lense was completely clear. Recently I have noticed the lense has gone slightly foggy, there is a hole in the centre of the fog and the edge of the fog around the hole has red yellow and blue rings.

I'm not bothered by the fog I just wonder what has caused it. All I could think is that it might be something to do with the antireflective coating.

It's on the inside of the lense

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure what causes fogging on the lens. Most of my Chinese made lights other than Zebralight has the same fogging effect you are talking about. I guess it is the effect of heat during operation? Or humidity in your area? Or maybe like what you've said, something to do with the coating on the lens? I do know that almost all my 4Sevens lights are fogging right now.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's normal, and has happened to nearly all my lights at one time or another. I believe it is caused by humidity, I can vividly remember times of taking my lights out of my air conditioned home and out into the humid night and within a few seconds the lens would start fogging up, but give it a little time and it will go away, leaving your light on turbo mode long enough for it to generate some heat will speed up the process.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it look like this:
nautiluslens.png

I took my Nautilus into the pool for some underwater fun. Afterwards water had gotten into the battery compartment but I didn't see any water in the head area. After a few days the lens got foggy like that.
Luckily, after about a week or so it cleared up for the most part.

Did you get your light wet or maybe lots of humidity where you live?

JacobJones

Enlightened
That's exactly what it looks like, not quite as bad though. Its never got wet but when I was using it outside in the spring the humidity was about 70% and it was fairly cold outside. this is when it started fogging up. I've not used it much since then but I think the fogging isn't quite as bad as it used to be. Anyway, good excuse to go and use it on turbo tonight. I believe the humidity is about 50% at the moment.

Thanks for all your help everyone