Trying to find an "allround" 18650 light with XM-L - desperate!

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have spent months, trying to find the right 18650 light for me. But somehow every light I stumble upon has some kind of major flaw. I want to use this light as an allrounder - that means, it must have a decent, easily accessible low-mode (<10lm) with long runtime just as well as a high with a lot of output (>450lm). It should not be an extreme flooder (like the ZL SC600, this one would be perfect otherwise), neither an extreme thrower.

These are my requirements for my new flashlight:

• Powered by a single 18650
  • Output at least 450 lumens on max
  • Easily accessible low with <10lm and >100h runtime
  • decent regulation for almost constant output
  • A simple UI with quick and uncomplicated access to the different output modes (except for strobe, sos, etc.)
I thought the Jetbeam RRT-21 was the perfect flashlight for me, I really liked the idea with the infinitely variable output. The 40h runtime at 3lm were a downside, but I knew I had to live with some kind of compromise. Unfortunately, after it was delivered, I found out that I didn't like the UI at all, as already mentioned in other threads. If you turn the selector ring, it runs through the lower modes pretty quickly and gets much slower on the higher modes. Exactly the opposite of what I could use. Finding the lowest setting really is an ordeal.

After sending the Jetbeam back to the dealer, I had a closer look at the Fenix TK21. At first, everything seemed perfect. But after reading some threads about it, I found out that even with good batteries, it switches down from "turbo" to "high" much too early. There might be situations, where I want to use it on "turbo" until the batteries are empty. This is also the reason why I want constant output throughout the battery range.

This is a list of all the flashlights I have considered and dismissed:

4sevens Maelstrom X7
Balder BD-2
Dereelight CL1H V4
Fenix TK21
Jetbeam Jet III M
Jetbeam RRT-21
Klarus XT10
Lumapower Signature LX
Lumintop ED20
Olight i6 Paladin
Olight M21X
Solarforce M6
Spark SL6
Sunwayman V20C
Thrunite Scorpion V2
Wolf-Eyes Sniper II
Zebralight SC600

Ok, my Question is simple: Does anyone of you know of a flashlight, that is not on the above list and at least roughly meets my requirements? I know that this is a long list but I really had a close look at each of these flashlights individually and had to dismiss every single one of them.

Please help me, I just want to find my flashlight, order it and be happy. If it is the right one, price is second rate.

Greetings from Germany, Serial Chiller

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I never took that option into account. Are there people who will just build a flashlight the way I want it? Sorry for the "stupid" question, but I never really dealt with selfmade and custom lights before. Always thought there are enough ready-made flashlights out there.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac t20c2 XML would be a good choice, I like the Zebralight sc600 myself. Too bad 4sevens doesn't sell the 18650 body anymore or the Quark TurboX would be a winner. 450 lumens and loosen the head for second mode. If you'll consider 17650's than it's still a great choice.
I like my floody lights and that's why I like the XML.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... I never took that option into account. Are there people who will just build a flashlight the way I want it? Sorry for the "stupid" question, but I never really dealt with selfmade and custom lights before. Always thought there are enough ready-made flashlights out there.

Not sure, but if you have a light you want modded to fit your criteria ask in the custom modified bst section to see if anyone will do the mod for you. I've had luck with Icarus, VestureOfBlood and VinhNyugen
Have you considered a Solarforce L2P with a two mode XML dropin (made by nailbender) nailbender sells dropins in the custom modified bst

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Maybe one of the Peak lights with the variable brightness knob? I keep looking and being tempted but the price has kept me from buying (so far)

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the replies so far, I'll have a look at your suggestions. The Eagletac T20C2 looks promising, must have overlooked that one.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Have you looked the Shiningbeam S-mini XM-L?

Regulations is close to perfect flatline. Only 400 lumens on max though.

frenchie

Newly Enlightened
How about the quark turbo x with an 18650 body, I bought the body from a German company a couple of weeks ago as it was the only place i could find any left!
Good luck with your hunt for your perfect light, I hope never to find mine as I wouldn't have any excuses to keep buying them then !

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
How about the quark turbo x with an 18650 body, I bought the body from a German company a couple of weeks ago as it was the only place i could find any left!
Good luck with your hunt for your perfect light, I hope never to find mine as I wouldn't have any excuses to keep buying them then !

Might I ask what company?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
tacticalhid just sent me a Xeno G10v2 w/XM-L and based on your criteria, it seems like it would fit the bill decently:

• Powered by a single 18650 - check (or can use 2 x CR123)
  • Output at least 450 lumens on max - check (mfg claims 480)
  • Easily accessible low with <10lm and >100h runtime - (unf. not quite a match but it's rated at 60lms @ 100hrs)
  • decent regulation for almost constant output - I just finished runtime testing on H using an AW IMR and was impressed by the near table top flat regulation throughout the entire run (before quickly tapereing off)
  • A simple UI with quick and uncomplicated access to the different output modes (except for strobe, sos, etc.) - check (except no strobe or SOS), the light features 3 levels (H, M, L and always in that order w/no memory so meaning the light will ALWAYS come on in H) and no muss/fuss UI; click on H, click off/click on -> M, click off/click on -> L. It's a forward clicky so you can also access the level you want first through momentary presses and then click on when you find your level.
The light features a smooth reflector so offers a nice balance of decent throw and flood. I'm in the process of reveiwing the light so please DO NOT take this as a personal recommendation since I have not formulated an opinion about it yet. I am suggesting it based on your requirements.

Another to consider would be the Sunwayman T20C. I know you knocked the V20C from your list likely due to the UI (if you didn't like the RRT-21). Again, going by your requirements: