Throw king : SR90 or Fenix TK70?

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys!!

My friends looking for a thrower, I showed him my Tk70 and he loves it, but i said that the SR90 might throw better, We just cant find a side by side video or pics with the two torches together. Has anyone tested these two side by side?

xed888

Enlightened
look for dwminer's thread. I think he compared both and TK70 wins

uknewbie

Banned
How would anyone know for sure? Lux measurements are usually taken pretty close.

On HJK's thread the TK70 looks brighter to me, but that is only at 135 metres, which is well within the range of either.

Pretty close, I suspect at real distance, the SR90 by a nose.

bighest

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, watching a few youtube video by goingprepared, it does look like the SR90 is the better thrower, there is a video comparing the SR92 v Tk70, the tk70 is brighter but there is nothing with the tk70 v SR90.

lautamas

Newly Enlightened
SR90 for sure throws better. We are a reseller both Fenix and Olight and has tested the two (at least our customers do in our showroom). Choose TK70 for balance between both world (spill + spot) and SR90 is for sure outhrows TK70.

I would also point out that the overall quality of the torch (the solid feel) is better for SR90 compared to TK70 despite of its 1/2 price

dwminer

Enlightened
SR90 for sure throws better. We are a reseller both Fenix and Olight and has tested the two (at least our customers do in our showroom). Choose TK70 for balance between both world (spill + spot) and SR90 is for sure outhrows TK70.

I would also point out that the overall quality of the torch (the solid feel) is better for SR90 compared to TK70 despite of its 1/2 price

I also have both and the throw difference is to small to worry about. Pick the light based more on the features that please you.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that a tighter, brighter hotspot means more light downrange... so the SR90 wins on throw. But while it also has (a hair) more flood, that flood is dimmer than the three XM-L spots of the TK70. Look at your friend's needs - is more spill at closer range with a wider hotspot better, or a tight spot to stretch out q little further?

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
IMO the li-ion pack is worth a good amount too.
It's not cheap for a set of four D cells and a charger.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A buddy of mine has the SR90 and the throw difference between my TK70 and his SR90 is too close to call. We tested it out on a 75 acre mostly open property throwing at tree lines of different distances. In the real world it is dead even. However, the TK70 throws WAY more light (a much larger hotspot) and has WAY brighter spill. It is amazing how much larger the actual area is that the TK70 can light up compared to the SR90.

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
...while it also has (a hair) more flood, that flood is dimmer than the three XM-L spots of the TK70.

I pretty much agree with you, the flood is dimmer. I would not say it is a hair more flood though, it is much more. The below picture is at very close range to a wall, and already the flood difference is significant. Outside the size of the beam on the SR90 is ridiculous.

TK70leftSR90right.jpg

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
IMO the li-ion pack is worth a good amount too.
It's not cheap for a set of four D cells and a charger.

Still, the tk70 even with a decent charger and 4xD NiMh cells ... is significantly less expensive. Significantly. ~ 280 bucks for the tk70 combo (or less) and ~ 460 bucks for the sr90. That's also before any taxes.

Plus, if you need to you can use 4xD alkaline cells for ~ 6-8 bucks. Can you do that with the sr90?

Not knocking the sr90, just saying you have to keep things in context.

You are certainly already paying more for the li-ion technology for the sr90 that's reflected in the much higher price. Right?

Enlightened
Not an identical comparison as the TK70 and SR92 were taken in Sep and SR90 in July (both are with the same camera, but the tree is dead in Sep), but still can shed some light on the performance with this additional information. Courtesy of goinggear vids on youtube.

SR90
original.jpg

SR92 in the SR92 vid (same vid as the SR90 above)
138893311original.jpg

TK70
original.jpg

SR92 in the TK70 vid
original.jpg

Video links : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzffVli7TMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPw4292nn4

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I've found comparing different Goinggear videos to be inaccurate. Another thread compared the Olight M3X to the M3C4 single XML and Cat V3. When comparing the three videos, the M3X looked like it had way more output and throw when in real life it has very slightly less throw than the M3C4 single XML (the three are really pretty even). I'm not sure what the difference is but I've found you can't compare different Goinggear videos.

When they do the massive light tests, they use the same camera with the same settings on the same night. Those seem to be comparable.

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I've found comparing different Goinggear videos to be inaccurate. Another thread compared the Olight M3X to the M3C4 single XML and Cat V3. When comparing the three videos, the M3X looked like it had way more output and throw when in real life it has very slightly less throw than the M3C4 single XML (the three are really pretty even). I'm not sure what the difference is but I've found you can't compare different Goinggear videos.

When they do the massive light tests, they use the same camera with the same settings on the same night. Those seem to be comparable.
No worries, they have the SR92 and SR90 in the same vid (the first one). So the SR92 serves as the "bridge". (they have the SR91 in the same vid as well but i'll skip that). I'll post it up soon.

Moreover, in real life, a difference of 20% in lux on a distant object, it'd be pretty difficult to differentiate without doing a direct A-B comparison (eg at the end of some goinggear vids where they switch on both). 2000 lumens and 100k / 2000 lumens and 120k really look the same.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
Fenix TK70 = 130,000 lux according to Fenix website
Olight SR90 = 115,000 lux according to only number I could find for it on google on some guys blog, and Selfbuilt's review in the reviews section has it at 113,000 lux

So it probably comes down to the individual light, and the individuals perception, on what one throws more. The TK70 should throw a little further.

Enlightened
Fenix TK70 = 130,000 lux according to Fenix website
Olight SR90 = 115,000 lux according to only number I could find for it on google on some guys blog, and Selfbuilt's review in the reviews section has it at 113,000 lux

So it probably comes down to the individual light, and the individuals perception, on what one throws more. The TK70 should throw a little further.

Actually, the TK70 has been measured by quite a few of us to be about 90k. And it seems to be that way, just lagging a little behind in pure throw. But as with other beamshots, how it illuminates the target is quite a bit different. What is missing is also a 10 min run of the SR90 and see how much it drops in output (thaicpf performed that for the TK70 already).

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix' data is measured strictly to ANSI standards, so it would be really interesting to see how these two stack up side by side.

What we need is for someone to send their TK70 to Selfbuilt for objective testing.
Alternatively, if Marshall from goinggear.com could do a video of two of his stock items side by side?

Three small XM-L emitters in three small reflectors may work a lot better than one large SST-90 emitter in one big reflector - we must wait and see.
I was originally skeptical, but so far, I am surprised by how well the triple emitters perform; it seems to deliver both flood and throw.

However, Saabluster said this, about multi-emitters in a recent thread at post number 28:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?324174-Why-no-multi-emitter-flood-to-throw-lights

You are on the right track. The other replies in this thread saying more emitters can get you more throw is incorrect. With more emitters you can get close to what you can do with one but the power consumption required to do so can get out of hand real quick. The lumens will go up a lot, the throw will go down a little and the power consumption will rise a lot.

So ultimately, the SR90 may have the edge...

Last edited: