Jetbeam emitter swap question

xith

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Jetbeam RRT-0 S2.. of all the LED lights I own/have owned.. this is BY FAR THE WORST TINT EVER!!! ugh.. :thumbsdow

It's a hideous pea green when on the lower brightness range.. :sick2:

Well.. I'm purdy darn handy with one of dem der soldering iron thingies.. :thumbsup:

I've found a couple disassembly guides.. I'm ready to do it (voiding my dang warranty in the process, of course)

Now.. the question part of this post..

What emitter? I genuinely get a bit overwhelmed trying to decipher dies and bins and fluxes and what not..

All I want is an emitter in a warm-ish tint that FITS!

Any suggestions? Do I buy the bare emitter? Do I buy it on a board? Who is the best dealer to buy from?

How is the beam profile affected by the emitter? I'm gathering that there's a difference between the beam pattern of the XPG and XRE.. (I'd rather have throw than flood.. other than my Surefire E1B, I've never had a light that doesn't have "enough flood")

Thanks in advance guys.. thanks so much.

-Xith

Last edited:

Erzengel

Enlightened
Hello,

have a look at this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?257395-Q-re-the-JetBeam-RRT-0/page2

The opening and emitter swap look rather simple. When I receive my strapwrench, I will open it and check the size of the LED board. I plan to order from cutter.com.au, but only because no supplier in Germany offers the LED bin I plan to put into my RRT-0 S2. I'm sure, there are some LED suppliers in the US.
If You stay with the XP-G, You won't get any problems with the reflector or the electronics.
You find the color bins in the following thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nd-Vf-Charts-and-Links-for-Popular-White-LEDs
The flux bin measures the Lumen in alphanumeric order (S2>R5>R4>R3 ...). Every step gives You roughly 7% more output. I intend to use a neutral white XP-G R4.

xith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much man!

That first link is the one I've been referencing for the dissasembly..

I will stick with the XP-G.. I'm not fully certain what color bin I really want yet. I like warm-ish.. but not fully warm...
The swap looks so dang easy... If I don't like one, I'll put another in.

-Xith

Erzengel

Enlightened
The color bin chart can help You to select the bin. Just look at the first chart in the thread. The further left (lower number) the bin code, the cooler it is. The closer the bin is to the dashed curve, the whiter it is (simply spoken). I'm actually considering an XP-G R4 with 3C color bin.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination Supply has hi cri xp-gs on 10mm boards! Check Market Place...good luck.

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, looks like market place will be down for a while. You can google illumination supply and look under DIY section.

Good luck and post some pics when successful!

Flucero28

Enlightened
Xith,

The Jetbeam uses a pretty unique PCB for the LED. It appears to be the same PCB and plastic centering/retaining ring that I have seen in the nitecore EX11.2 lights. It has mounting holes for the legs of the plastic centering ring to fit into. There are also corresponding holes in the head of the flashlight that the plastic legs of the centering/retaining ring fit into. This effectively helps to center the PCB but also to secure it into place using the downward force from the reflector assembly, while preventing the PCB/LED assembly from rotating and tearing the leads off as the flashlight head is tightened. You will need to re-flow the new XPG with the tint of your choice to the original PCB to make this mod as easy as possible and still retain the durability of the light. Also, for pictures of how the head of the light can be disassembled, you can refer to my WTT thread here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?259343-WTT-Jetbeam-RRT-0-S2-(Pics-added)

Too bad your sample has a green tint, mine is almost neutral white. Tint lottery at its best I suppose. This mod should be relatively easy, with the hardest part being the opening of the head due to thread locking compound. Good luck, and let me know if I can help in any way.

Frank

Last edited: